Storage cases and shipping

entropolous

The stronger the exterior case, and the more padding you have inside the case,.. the better. You have to assume that during shipping it's gonna get dropped, kicked, tossed, get something far too heavy set on top of it, and/or fall off a shelf during transit.

If possible, use the aluminum case,.. and put the aluminum case inside a crate.

Battlefoam is pretty tough for day-to-day transport, kicking around the house, etc. Despite the supposed improvements in shipping practices, I don't think I'd trust its crush-resistance for international shipping. Metal (or Pelican) case wins here.

KY Multicase's foam gets mixed reviews from me - it's very soft, which is great for the figures.  It's very soft, which makes lifting trays out of the cardboard box a real pain.  More than once my trays have folded on me, despite my best efforts, either dumping minis out or slapping them into a pile in the middle of the tray (admittedly, these are old metal ogres, knights, & the like - much heavier than most Malifaux minis).

If you already have a bunch of battlefoam trays, you might look into Vaultz's Letter/Legal aluminum chest - they retail for about $60 at most office supply shops, and are a bit shorter than a BF 720 (although trays have to be "wiggled" past the hanging-file-folder lip, as I recall).  They probably also have something suitable for Sabol trays, although I haven't looked.

And, as Webmonkey said, put the aluminum case inside another sturdy shipping carton.

• 3 weeks later...