Some beginner questions and some Seamus related stuff!

Hello my fellow Ressurectionists,

i just restarted Malifaux again because of some changes that happened in my life i had to stop(starting at the University and moving to another place and so on.....) playing. So as i stoped the test rules for M2E where slowly coming around the corner. Now i have the new Rulebook read from front to back(almost) and bought myself a Seamus crew and a Fate Deck (and Bete Noir and some Undead Dogs). I didnt played yet but iam about to get my first games in with the new rules.

When i came back to the Forums i was a bit confused because i saw a thread about Yan Lo and in my Core Rulebook there is no Stat Card for him so are they in the Faction Pack or in his Crew Box?

How does the crew building work for those double faction models? When i decide to take Yan Lo as Resser am i limited to resser modells and as Ten Thunder to ten Thunder modells?

Where to get the beta cards for wave two the link doesnt seem to work...

New Crew related stuff(caise Hobby ADD does its work):

1. Yan Lo or Nicodem as second crew?

2. And why?

3.Could someone give me some advice on there general playstyle (both seem to have a Caster/Summoner thing going on)

Seamus relatet stuff:

1. Is he more meele or ranged focused?

2. Is Back Aley my breed and butter positioning Tool?

3. Is Madamm Sybell more of a Beatstick and a bit support or.more support with some meele stuff going on?

4.Which Upgrades are considerable?

5. How to play the Crew: Meele Focused/Midrangy?

A lot of questions i hope you can help me with my questions. I just want some brief overviews the rest will be figured out by reading tacticas and expirience with my crew and by playing.

Thank you

Guild Bulldog

Yan Lo is part of the Wave 2 releases, as the arsenal decks were in the process of being printed they released these a free .pdf downloads but they've recently pulled them from the website because the decks are soon to be available.  If you'd like them send me a PM with your e0mail address and I'll send them to you.  All the Wave 2 cards will also be in the new book - Crossroads.  As for dual faction such as Yan Lo you declare your faction before the game and then your Master has to be that faction and hire/take upgrades from that faction.  If you choose Yan Lo as a Resser then he can take anything from the Resser faction.  Most (maybe all) dual faction Masters have ways of hiring things out of faction though.  For example Yan Lo can hire up to four models with the Retainer characteristic regardless of what faction he declares.  All his personal upgrades are also dual faction and a lot of his guys like Izamu and Toshiro are too.  As to your specific questions:

1 & 2.  I'd go with Nicodem as the stuff in that box has more synergy than the Yan Lo box which you would want to add things like Izamu and Toshiro too.  Although eventually I'm sure you'll get both!  McMourning is the first box I bought to with my Seamus box though.

3.  General playstyle for Seamus is to get stuff done on his own which he is pretty good at and also to raise Belles where he can,  Yan Lo is more of a support Master but he also gets stronger as the game goes on because of his Chi mechanic so can dish out some pain.  Neither is a full on summoner like Nicodem/Kirai with Seamus only being able to raise Belle's and Yan Lo only being able to raise an Ancestor that has already died.

Seamus questions:

1.  As standard he is more ranged focus because his gun has one of the highest damage outputs in the game (4/6/8).  He can only fire this once a turn though so it's often worth focusing with him.  As standard he is rubbish at melee as his attack is 1/1/3.  However, his Bag O Tools upgrade makes him pretty decent in combat.  It is a limited upgrade though which means you need to choose between being better at melee or getting an upgrade that gives you a second ranged attack (which is Ca - very good against Incorporeal stuff) plus negative's to opponents Wp.  I tend to run this second one more but he can be pretty horrible in combat

2.  Yes.  With the Red Chapel Killer upgrade it becomes even better too and if I'm playing Ressers and Entourage/Breakthrough are available I almost always take Seamus as he is so good at it.

3.  I find her very hit and miss.  Some games she has excelled whereas others she doesn't justify her inclusion. Her damage track is pretty good though and with the Bleeding Tongue upgrade (which you'll almost certainly take) she has a couple of very good triggers.  Ml 6 is nothing to sniff at either.  I find that her, Seamus and a Hanged all hanging around together (excuse the pun) is a pain for my opponent.  Her ranged attack is also a Ca and blasts which can be very useful against some crews.

4.  Not sure what you mean by this but with Seamus I almost always take Mad Haberdashery, Red Chapel Killer and one of either Sinister Reputation or Bag O Tools depending on what role I envisage him playing in the game.

5.  Ressers tend to be melee focused as they don't have a considerable amount of range.  However, Seamus' crew can put out more than most with him, the Copycat Killer and Sybelle all having decent ranged attacks as does the Hanged which has become an almost auto-include for me.

Welcome to Mailfaux.

Seamus and Molly are my main masters, but I own all NB and Resser masters so I'll see if I can help.

1: If it were me I'd say McMorning, but specifically from the two you mention, I'd do Yan Lo.

2: A number of Yan Lo's "Theme" models are either very good in general, or very synergistic with Seamus. Izamu is a solid 10pt model, Toshiro is great, but Chiaki and Yin both do some really nice things with Seamus. 

In my experience Seamus is very hard to actually remove from the board, but it's very easy to hit him, which means that getting debilitating conditions, like slow, paralyzed and so on are very easy and common ways to control how his player uses him. Chiaki offers him another way to heal, via the trigger on the ability I'm going to be talking about, but she is also the only in faction way that ressers have to remove conditions. This is both good from a defensive position, IE removing enemy conditions placed on you, but also in an offensive manner, IE removing slow from any model Seamus or another model in your crew summons.

Additionally if you take Chiaki's upgrade you have a model who can toss out between 2 to 4 slows a turn, which can synergies with healing seamus, and landing easier if you take Sinister Reputation. Additionally Chiaki has a 0 action which targets WP.

Yin is a great control model who can attack WP (you'll find Seamus loves models that can attack WP) has a great 0 action, and can make models trying to cast, or target models with Terror or Manipulative much harder to hit.

3: little to long an explanation here. I'd visit the malifaux wiki: Pull My Finger.

1: Depends on how you play him. I'm not trying to be vague, it just really depends on which upgrades you take, and how you build your crew. I play him almost exclusively as a ranged attacker, but I'm still up in the front lines because I almost always take sinister Reputation, and I want the WP rebuff for the rest of my crew to exploit. At the same time I always, ALWAYS take a nurse, and one of her buffs can allow Seamus to get a plus 2 to his dmg, with the caveat that he can't do anything but take ML attacks that turn. That Turns Seamus' base attack into a ML 7 3/3/5 with the ability to get an extra attack if you hit with a crow. Thats a potential 18dmg just from Seamus if you hit all 6 times just for weak dmg, which will shred just about anything in the game. So various builds, and various crew hirings, and the way you play him will very much change what he primarily does for you.

2: Yes, and then again no. Back Ally is really good. That said its very swingy. Terrain is going to matter a ton, as will who your opponent brings. Face an opponent who has models with from the shadows, or is able to position on a vantage point in their own deployment zone, or move to one in their first activation, or if you don't have any cover in your own zone, and you might not get to use back ally all game. It isn't exactly common that that happens, but it happens with enough frequency that giving any blanket statement on that ability is really not very useful.

3: Both. If you are wondering if Madam Sybelle is a model you will take and you will just kill your opponent's models with her, often no she won't do that. She has a decent attack of ML6 2/4/5, but that isn't exactly killer material. You really need min dmg 3 or something else to really qualify as a beatstick, or be exceptionally cheap, Sybelle isn't. However you can buy an upgrades with her that gives her a lot of flexibility both in support and her ability to kill things. The first and most flexible of these is Bleeding Tounge. This upgrade gives her two triggers to go with the one already on her whip.

For a Mask you can force the model you hit to take a 1 AP action, and for the duration of that action, the model is deemed friendly to Sybelle. From an offensive view you can use that to force a beater of the enemy to attack his own crew if they are in it's melee range, or use a ranged attack, if no one else of your is engaging the model (they only count as friendly to Sybelle not to the rest of your crew). From a support position, you have even more options. Hit an enemy with the ability to target Seamus or another Terror causing model other than Sybelle, and force them to fail their Terror check causing them to become paralyzed, or Hit your own models to give them an extra AP (a common tactic some people use is to whip Seamus, force him to use back ally, and then activate Seamus later with his full 3 AP instead of using one of them on that action later, he then heals up the dmg you did via Feast of Fear).

For a Crow, she gets a Death strike, and I believe the only death strike that can be done on command, as most models which have access to it either can't use SS, or need the crow and a SS to activate the strike. It makes her situationally more deadly as any model can drop 2 cards or two stones to avoid being killed, so unless you are lucky you will very rarely ever actually kill anything with her via that ability, but it will force your opponent to react to it just knowing it is there in your crew.

Additionally if you take 2 or more belles in your list it's always worth considering Not Too Banged up. That upgrade gives Sybelle the support ability that says, if an enemy can see Madam Sybelle, and is lured, they add +2" to the distance they move. That's VERY useful for a crew that is making heavy use of Lure.

Additionally don't overlook her 0 actions. Call Belle is a massive movement benefit for positioning your Belles (and as an aside if you ever start playing Molly, please note Molly is herself a Belle and this ability works on her, allowing you to position your master with it) and Personal attention is a 0 action which helps protect other models in your crew, and is a 0 action that targets WP to help keep Seamus healed. (also as Adam from Cheated fates pointed out, it has good synergy with Yin, a model I mentioned earlier. Hit a Model with Yin's 0 action, and until Yin activates again they take a negative twist to their WP duels. Personal Attention forces any model that tries to target a model other than Madam Sybelle to make a WP check or the action fails, which with a negative twist they are unlikely to do)

I tend to find that Madam Sybelle is a really solid model. A jack of all trades model. She is really solid at a lot of roles in the game, but if you are looking to slot her into any particular role, she won't perform as well as a specialized model. I almost always take her with Seamus, but if you are expecting her to wow you as any 1 thing, it doesn't happen in my experience, but you will almost never be sorry you took her.

She's really like a solid dependable tool. She doesn't have the sparkle and flash of other more specialized models, she will very rarely wow you, but she will almost never let you down, and you will almost never regret taking her.

4: again this is very much going to be something you need to determine. There is a lot of debate on this, but the big ones are one of his limited upgrades, and then fill in the rest. My almost standard load out is Sinister Reputation, Mad Haberdasher, and Red Chapel Killer. I tend to like Sinister reputation because I like Seamus as being useful, even if he never attacks and just stands there, and the -2wp is exceptionally useful if you build your crew to take advantage of it. However, depending on what is in the scheme pool Bag O' Tools can be the stronger option. Honestly most of the triggers on that upgrade are fun, but don't come close to Sinister Rep in my opinion, but the ability to hit something with a Melee attack, and drop a scheme marker on command, and also not have to abide by the having to drop scheme markers 4" apart rule is amazing. Want to plant explosives, charge in and spend a tome on every attack, hopefully hit 3 times for three markers, and then boom the model you attacked for 3 VP.

A lot of people also like Decaying Aura on him, I'm personally not a fan, but others could almost certainly explain why it works for them. I personally find it a trap and not very useful.

Many other people like Corpse Bloat, for the ability to drop a corpse marker to later summon Belles from or use Red Chapel killer to jump away with, but they also like using the ability to blow up corpse markers to cause a 3" aura that forces WP tests or take 5 dmg. You can use your own imagination on why forcing a lot of models to take massive amounts of WP duels or take massive dmg is awesome with Seamus (Psst its because he heals 2 wds for every failed WP duel within 6" of himself, and he makes the duels harder to pass with sinister Rep) but keep in mind, your models are also affected by the pulse, and outside Seamus, most of the models that often get brought with him don't have very high WP.

5: Again this is really dependent on what the schemes and strats are, and how you build your crew. There really isn't a "play by numbers" approach to playing Seamus. There really isn't for any master, but some masters are more straight foreword in what they will often do, Seamus really isn't one of those. I play him and his crew very differently from many other people who are equally passionate about how they play him.

The best pieces of advice I can give you are to get his basic crew on the table, and just play as many games with them as you can, and get a feel for how YOU are going to play him. Then add a proxy model, a different one every game and see how each one responds to the crew. A lot of people love using Bete Noir with him, because he can jump out front, probably kill something small, and get bets in their face turn 1 while I find that play doesn't work very often, and Bete herself never responds as well as I hope, and I hate holding the high card to keep her safe. It's going to be down to you to figure out what works.

And use your search fu, I posted a rather large topic some months back on why I think a single nurse is almost always an auto include with Seamus. I look foreword to hearing in months to come why you agree with me, or think that was the worst piece of advice you were ever given.

With Seamus there is just too much possible to give route answers.

Welcome to Malifaux, if there is anything else I can assist with please let me know.

• Like 2

Hah, sorry!  Unfortunately I don't know her crew very well.  Pullmyfinger Wiki will be your friend here again as the entries include info on playing against stuff as well as with them.  Death Marshall's can bury you which can always put a spanner in the best laid plans although Seamus' Wp (which I think they target) is pretty high.  Although if they target Df then you need to be very careful as he has a low Df.  A lot depends on what strats/schemes you are playing.

Lady Justice herself is straight forward: She punches things dead from 14". Also, she can remove conditions, which can be a pain if you play Terror-Seamus and want to paralyze people.

The Judge is an animal. He does a lot of damage and is a pain to bring down. You may want to focus fire him.

Never underestimate the shenanigans a crafty opponent can pull with Pine Box. death Marshals are very flexible models, and the ability to take a model out of the game with a single hit can not be overrated.

That's just her box, though. What other models your opponent will play, I cannot say. Pullmyfinger is a great resource to read into some of your opponents models. If you don't find something there, don't hesitate to come back here and ask!

Hi! Glad your enjoying Malifaux!

Lots of great advice already above but here is my advice:

1. Yan Lo or Nicodem as second crew?
2. And why?

To be honest either - they both work in different styles the Nico benefits from having access to all of the Ressers while Yan Lo has a very specific set of minions/henchmen/enforcers that can be good with him. Nico is a summoning master mostly with some good buffing if needed. Yan Lo can really support some big models to get the most out of there AP. If you want to play a hoard I would go for Nico and with the big toys Yan Lo.

3.Could someone give me some advice on there general playstyle (both seem to have a Caster/Summoner thing going on)

I've got some notes on my blog (its been ages since I updated) but it might be helpful

Seamus relatet stuff:
1. Is he more meele or ranged focused?

Depends on the upgreat - Sinster rep for range and Bag of tools for Melee. Though the nurse can help him out in either instance.

2. Is Back Aley my breed and butter positioning Tool?

Along with lure.

3. Is Madamm Sybell more of a Beatstick and a bit support or.more support with some meele stuff going on?

I found that she was more a tar pit model if you want to hold up and threaten certain areas of the table, I once held of 2 mature neph and lilith for 2 turns with just Sybell. For hitting I look to The Hanged or Bete.

4.Which Upgrades are considerable?

All have there benfits. Depends on the scheme pool a little bit but I would normally take Mad Hab and then Red Chapel and Sinster rep or bag'o tools and decaying aura.

5. How to play the Crew: Meele Focused/Midrangy?

While Seamus is good in Melee he's not great in the same way some masters can be - I found he's a better to hit, summon a belle and then run. Just like the fluff! Keep an eye on the objectives and you should be great!

Good that was a lot of input thank you all next thursay i will have my first game iam very much looking forward to it. I hope i stand a chance against Lady Justice and her starter. Any tips on schemes and how to come around Lady J and her imense meele threat range and the Judges massive hitting power? Taking both out with Seamus and Corpycat seems to be hard or am i wrong?

Bring a nurse. Going for te paralyze can be tough given that lady j has wp7 base, but if she gets near Seamus with sinister rep that drops to 5. Additionally if she is in melee with Seamus and he's not dead, have the nurse get within 6" of Seamus and then use hallucinogens on him, and then accomplice him so he activates next. That gives Seamus a ml7 3/3/5 with a trigger to take the attack again, spend stones for crows and just go for multiple weak dmg hits, that's up to 18 dmg on her if you trigger, and hit every time.

Additionally if you don't need Seamus, bait her. Start killing things on the board away from stuff you want her to stay away from and tempt her into engaging out of position and hold her there as long as you can while the rest of your crew gets stuff done.

• Like 1

On her threat range:

Remember Blindfighter!  I've had more then a few games where I thought I was safely tucked away and Lady Justice comes charging passed a building corner and snags me in melee.

On not getting murdered:

Generally versus the Lady I'll take Red Chapel Killer and Corpse Bloat, and either sinister rep or even haberdasher.  Seamus' goal of the game then suddenly becomes to bounce around the board and generally murder the death marshals.  They may have hard to wound, but you still drop them on moderate damage.  The copycat killer can also deliver serious pain.  Your duo will generally harass the guild crew while trying VERY hard to stay out of reach.

You can normally tell the turns where she has a good shot at getting after you.  On those, carve out your spleen the turn ahead and use it to run away the following turn.  Be sure to hide it where she can't pulse it with her removal tricks.

Really she's the only very scary thing out there.  The judge can go down with some concentrated fire from Seamus and the copycat (3 shots generally).  He's hard to wound, but the two have REALLY good minimum damage.

I wouldn't count on CCK though unless you have a good hand.  His gun is only Sh 4 so it's not too hard to defend against.  It's very nice if you can combo them together but I wouldn't count on it.  Seamus on the other hand is much more reliable.  With three AP he can usually focus and shoot which helps you cheat the damage and/or he can use SS to help out too.

Seamus likes Bishop as well. -2wp and Bishop targeting wp can be brutal, especially if Seamus is wounded. As he just starts healing up while the enemy is taking damage.

Oof, that is nasty!  I hadn't thought of that combo, I'm used to Pandora making her own defence duels Wp to move herself around but that is a great idea as I've recently picked up Bishop.