Feasibility of McTavish in a Jack Daw crew?

Kalkris

Hey all,

I am wondering how feasible McTavish is as a mercenary in Jack Daw's crew. I really want to try it but I want some second opinions before I begin to try it out. Here's my thoughts offhand:

Dat Stench Tho: Penetrating Stench is really helpful in diverting opponents' attacks against Jack if McT is close by. Plus it keeps foes from getting too much more defensive than they already are, but that's not the primary thing I want McT for anyway. In a crew where Focus could bring down the Big Man with ease, I want Focus to not happen.

Tormenting McT: Letting The Guilty or even Jack Daw make McT Tormented allows for added synergies like Writhing Torment to become a factor. Even if Jack himself has to damage McT (hopefully putting on Guillotine Injustice), the Gator Man has some healing to work with in the form of Gator Snacks and a wayward crow card. Using the likes of Twist and Turn on McT, though, might make for some fun times with Jack sicking a hypothetical Gator at opponents.

The issue here though might be that McT is 11 stones in an Outcast crew, which is pretty hefty for simple durability and some more tricks. What do all of you think? (Rgarbonzo, I already have your opinion of the "new Von Schill" XD)

~Lil Kalki

• Like 2

So, it's been a few days. 104 views (more as of your visit to this thread, viewer!). 2 likes to my OP. But not a single solitary reply other than this obligatory bump/complaint! What gives, guys? Does this idea not actually have merit? I want to hear tales of playtests with this setup going strong/weakly! I need more opinions! More, moar, MOAR!!! >_<

So yeah, bumper cars, if legal.

~Lil Kalki

Well I have not had any of practice with him and I have not seen him used with McTavish since the Beta.  And I imagine that alot of people are the same right now.  But I did use a trick with McTavish a bit that Jack Daw can do as well.

If you take Papa Loco you can give him a positive twist to his damage, making his gun much more fearsome as you can more easily cheat in moderate or severe results.  The fact that he can shoot in combat without randomizing means he likes sort of lurking in the background plugging away.  If you have someone that can drop markers for him it is even better as he can often get healing or extra attacks.  Of course with Zoraida I also made him also pop off extra shots to make the most of that positive but with Jack daw though you will not have swampfiend for him to get bonuses to hit.

• Like 1

...Of course with Zoraida I also made him also pop off extra shots to make the most of that positive but with Jack daw though you will not have swampfiend for him to get bonuses to hit.

You could use Jack to "Feel their Torment" a Guiltys "Share Guilt" to make McTavish Tormented and then have Jack not use Share Guilt the rest of the game basically making McTavish permanently Tormented.  It isnt quite the same as having obey but lets you get lots of movement shennanigans out of him saving AP or use Twist and Turn for an extra AP if you want. Papa Loco is amazing with Jack so having him in is already a great plan.

I havent used Jack enough or McTavish at all so I can't really comment further. 

• Like 1

I've not got enough jack daw experience to make much comment here, but I've got plenty of mctavish table time - what he will give the jack daw crew is a lot of ranged threat projection. Mctavish is fairly hardy, but can't go toe-to-toe with really big heavy hitters. As with most things, give it a try and see if it works for you.

• Like 1

I haven't tried this! It sounds like a fun idea!

Jack Daw doesn't have many shooty people in his theme Crew, so this could add something. And he has some auras to boost.

I like fun things! :D And true also that I do have a tendency to take the upgrade which boosts pulses and auras, so... :)

I've not got enough jack daw experience to make much comment here, but I've got plenty of mctavish table time - what he will give the jack daw crew is a lot of ranged threat projection. Mctavish is fairly hardy, but can't go toe-to-toe with really big heavy hitters. As with most things, give it a try and see if it works for you.

I've seen, from experience, Jack take on huge threats all on his own (with help from upgrades and occasionally a minion or two). I think that if I am keeping McT near enough to Jack, then I am going to be good to go lol

I think I will give this a try, but I am going to proxy until McT comes out in plastic because I don't want to buy a Gremlins arsenal pack for one card or barter for the card. haha

~Lil Kalki

• 2 weeks later...

I personally prefer the idea of sue to provide ranged support instead of McT

While I like me Sue in Outcasts I never underestimate McTavish's range potiental.  First he does not randomize in combat, meaning unlike Sue or others that have to worry about blasting away into a tight mix McTavish happily plugs away.  Second even with out Swampfiends in the list his stat beats Sue, Sh6.  and while Sue has a positive flip McTavish also ignores cover so they both don't have to worry about hitting but McTavish also does not worry about any negatives to wound from Hard Cover.  On top of this McTavish has longer range and if you play him right can get a third shot with his (0), or a heal or a card.  The only place that Sue beats McTavish besides cost is damage, thanks to Critical Strike even with out another Ram Sue is a 3/4/5.  But if I am taking McTavish I often make room for Papa Loco I often have McTavish with another positive to damage so generally when I am hitting I am cheating in Moderate damage anyhow so this is less of an issue with me.

Don't get me wrong, I like having Sue in lists, he is just a swell model and I am plenty scared of him many of times he hits the table, but McTavish has him beat in most regards, It just becomes a debate of whether it is worth the extra points.

• Like 1

But just don't forget both of Sue's (0) Actions, specially The Man in Black, which can just ruin some other Crews day...

Very true, and McTavish has a pretty good support one with the marker that gives cover but in flexibility Sue likely wins as he has two.  Though you have to be very careful with Sue's The Man in Black as it can affect your spells that you use on your own models.  Had a buddy run into that problem when he wanted to use Ama no Zako's Obey like spell on Sue after he had already put up the aura.  It might hinder with Friendly spells that have TN numbers, that Negative flip.

Very true, and McTavish has a pretty good support one with the marker that gives cover but in flexibility Sue likely wins as he has two.  Though you have to be very careful with Sue's The Man in Black as it can affect your spells that you use on your own models.  Had a buddy run into that problem when he wanted to use Ama no Zako's Obey like spell on Sue after he had already put up the aura.  It might hinder with Friendly spells that have TN numbers, that Negative flip.

So true as well!