Gencon Booth - Thoughts?

You guys are right, the minis do get busted up by the end of the Con/event.  What I would recommend, if whomever has time, paint multiples of the demo pieces.  Sure, it's  time consuming, a hassle and pushes the limits of what's expected of people during the Convention season but I think it'd be worth looking into.

Sure, demo crews get broken. They get mis-handled. Accidents happen. You could always have a "med-kit" on hand with hobby tools and glues in order to make a quick fix after the demo and before the next. And having replacement crews or multiple of figures are an excellent idea, too, especially if the preparation for next year starts now. Honestly, I'd be honored if Wyrd wanted my help to paint up crews for demo games at events.

Demo models shouldn't be painted up to a competition standard, of course. They should be average. Basecoats and some simple shading, maybe one layer of highlighting or drybrushing, if you're feeling fancy. Yes, they will be handled poorly, even abused. Expect it. That way, you can have solutions on hand.

Pin delicate joints. Use sealant. And, above all, advise players if there is a delicate model. Maybe just always instruct them to pick up the models by the bases. Being careful and respectful of someone else's miniatures won't ruin the fun of the game. And most gamers will be considerate, if asked. They paint models too, and would understand.

• Like 1

I just wanted to mention that I loaned two painted crews for demos at gen con, and one of my models ended up getting stolen.  :P

So I can understand why people wouldn't want to loan out their own models!  :)

My personal opinions on the wyrd booth:  Looked amazing!  The fence around it was great to keep the product contained, and it had a wonderful theme throughout it.  It was very impressive and drew a lot of eyes.

I just wanted to mention that I loaned two painted crews for demos at gen con, and one of my models ended up getting stolen.   :P

So I can understand why people wouldn't want to loan out their own models!   :)

My personal opinions on the wyrd booth:  Looked amazing!  The fence around it was great to keep the product contained, and it had a wonderful theme throughout it.  It was very impressive and drew a lot of eyes.

I agree with the booth itself - it had a professional look.  But my buddies (whom I am trying to recruit to the game) were looking in the display cases at unpainted minis - and we couldn't tell who was who in many cases since we are not all that familiar with the game.  They didn't walk away with the excitement I wanted them to.  I think having a better display of the product would have helped a lot.  

Right across the isle Privateer Press had some nicely painted models in their windows.

This may sound strange, but I want to be proud of the game I support.   When we checked out the booth, there were a lot of positives - but one of the keys is looking at some awesome painted minis, at least in the displays, to get the excitement going.

RE: Stolen Minis - Were demo game minis left unattended or were they stolen right in front of the volunteers?

Why wasn't there a terra clips demo table?

Unfortunately terraclips seems to have gone the way of the dodo. Though I sincerely hope I am wrong we haven't seen anything new in a few years and the sets are becoming scarce around the world. Worldworksgames has also been very quite and they were a co-producer for them.

At least to me unpainted demo models are kind of weak.

Hell if I knew they were going to be unpainted demo crews, I would have mailed them a painted Nicodem crew, they could even keep it if they just mailed me a new box back, and I live in SoCal. 

I think for the biggest event of the year, they could have rounded up the troops, to crank out a bunch of demo crews, so that as they got damaged through the weekend they could be swapped out. 

Unpainted models in the display case don't bother me that much. I would prefer them painted, because that is the goal, but I can deal with it not being painted. I mean it could be like Legion Models for Privateer, that look way worse in the studio scheme.

What is the rules on doing competitions at the booth? 

For example could Wyrd host a painting comp at their booth with the idea being that they have two cases, one showing unpainted new minis and the other proudly proclaiming "These are minis painted by our players!!!" 

I know for me, I am much more interested in what a mini looks like painted by a random player and therefore a level I could see myself painting than a professional whom I could never match.  If nothing else, maybe print out some of the pages from the Wyrd Chronicles.

• Like 1

A good painter can hide a bad sculpt - I'd rather see the sculpts than the skill of some professional painters if I'm going to be buying the minis.

Also I get the weird feeling that Wyrd would hire someone who paints like the Forge World team, which is always an exercise in grit and dirt and "how muted can we make this?" which is always an absurdly huge turn-off for me until I see their stuff unpainted.

I really like the fact that Wyrd plastics come with a 3D render that's non painted on the back of the box.  I lets me know exactly what I'm getting.

But for demos I believe you need painted models, especially at the largest recognized gaming convention in the world.  Models for demonstration tables don't have to be painted to a Golden Daemon/Crystal Brush standard, they just have to be painted to a good table standard.  The OP was concerning the demo booth and not the online catalogue.   Playing games with seas of grey makes it hard to distinguish what's what.  You don't have to  pump out 30 GD level minis....just a couple table top class crews.  Not really too much to ask.

• Like 1

Just an idea about the painted model thing - perhaps consider a prime white and then wash, maybe in the typical faction color so they are easily identifiable on the table and it also shows off the detail and quality of the models without much actual time or effort put in.

Having worked more than a few of Wyrds GenCon booths over the years I can say that when they hosted painted figures in their display case it was difficult to see because of all the people crowded around snapping pictures. The old "studio artists" were absolutely amazing (all enjoyed brush mistress' work myself though all were very, very good). The year I worked the booth and they had hardly any painted models the crowds were much less prevalent.

Painted figures and engaging terrain (such as the absolutely massive terraclips display they had a few years ago) both at the booth and in the gaming areas attract and keep attention. When ever I have run demos or events, the tables and painted figures were what brought people in and had them asking questions. It broke the ice and paved the way for the pitch.

• Like 4

Although I doubt my skill level is up to cabinet standard paint jobs, I gladly volunteer to paint demo crews for next year. I used to work for GW and have a good few Games Days under my belt, so I know what a pounding demo models can take. Best advice I can give is to have 2 or 3 of each set painted up by the same person so its easy to replace missing models or sub out broken pieces. Have a staff triage table for fixing things with a stock of glue, pins, drills etc... in fact, I often found people asking for a demo of how to fix models!

I live in the UK, so can't really offer my help as a physical presence (though I do hope to make it next year!), but I would be glad to offer up my time between now and next Gen Con painting a few demo crews.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of the painting competition, or even just dispense with the competition altogether - who wouldn't like to have their painted crew in a cabinet on the Wyrd stand for the whole of GenCon, with people taking photographs and ooh-ing and aah-ing over it. If Wyrd just asked for people to bring along their favourite painted crew I bet they'd get enough to fill a cabinet five times over. Couple of box fronts, maybe an unmade sprue behind them to identify the models and they've got everything anyone could want in terms of display materials.

• Like 1

If they're in a locked cabinet I would imagine the likelihood of them getting lost is relatively low, but yes, Wyrd would have to have something in place to make sure they weren't liable for thefts, or at least that the owner would get a replacement box if anything did happen.

If only there were some kind of gamble Wyrd could make, wherein they paid a small amount in a gamble that the models wouldn't be damaged, and would get compensation for them in the case that they were. Inn-sewer-ants? That's a strange word.

No paint on minis is kind of a big deal. If Wyrd wants to compete with the big boys, they need to pony up.

That being said, Wyrd can have its forum/community members paint crews and proudly display them. Give product as incentives. Or shout outs on the main webpage. Its really not that difficult.

I almost got into Dark Age because of that as well.  But I like Malifaux, even though I have yet to really play a game.  I keep trying to drum up interest at my FLGS, and thus far have a few interested but not totally commited.

I don't think Wyrd doesn't know the value of painted miniatures in cabinets or on sexy gaming tables. What I do think is that Wyrd did their best with what they had available to them.

What was the biggest thing at their booth? The 8 foot tall Whiskey Golem!

I wasn't at Gencon, but I know Privateer Press had a big statue as well. PP has been around for a pretty long time and Wyrd is kinda the new company on the block and they've got an 8 foot tall statue at their booth. They have made their presence know. I'm sure that attracted more people to the booth than say any number of two or three inch tall models in a case (that's what will keep people there).

Back to the unpainted miniatures; don't you think a company who is willing to spend money on a Whiskey Golem statue (you know that ain't cheap) doesn't know the importance of having painted miniatures? I have "a feeling" that it had more to do with their product just coming in from China rather than Wyrd not knowing what they were doing. Remember that the Whiskey Golem and another miniature (that I can't remember) wasn't available on the first day of the con.

Remember when Justin was leaking what would be available at Gencon? There was doom and gloom in AWP and on the forums here that this was going to be an awful Gencon showing by Wyrd. I'm more willing to believe that they were just getting shipments from China days before the convention, so they didn't know what was coming. With the manufacturing of their models done in China and their (Wyrd's) manufacturer making models for other companies and not really holding to their agreed upon deadlines (to Wyrd), I wouldn't blame Wyrd for having enough painted models at Gencon. I'm sure they've learned a lot from this Gencon and next years will be better ( fingers crossed for a Lord Chompy Bits or Nekima statue)

Nobody said they didn't know the value of painted models. And you just made a case for what I was saying.

Wyrd knows its the new guy. Yea they had an cool statue...and not something as small as painted models. The shipments from china were not the first models wyrd had of the new products. Its just the mass shipment of production level stuff. All I'm saying is wyrd had a Cinderella story. Then M2E came about and knocked a bunch of stuff around. They need to tighten things up and drive on.

One bad thing you do ruins all the good. Yes we all know the wyrd staff busted ass to get it done. But non painted demo crews are still a topic. You see now lopsided and unfair that is? But that's the way it is.