Movies and cinematic experiences that feel or look like Malifaux

Linus Mcmold

Lots of great movies/videos have already been mentioned (Carnivale, The Backwater Gospel) and I was more than happy to discover that some were new to me. I particularly enjoyed Madame Tutli-Putli and I agree, this journey on a train is weird enough to be compared to what going through the breach might feel like. I definitely need to check Penny Dreadful out, haven't heard of that show before...

I think this one hasn't been mentioned yet. Teddy's Nightmare. While it's technically not impressive and the animations feel a bit stiff, it does have a nice mood to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I somehow visualized the Governor General when reading Malifaux stories as the Gene Hackman's role in Quick and the Dead.
That movie is spot on.

I just remembered an anime called Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (yes a sequel) that has a very Malifauxy atmosphere and the look of architecture, scenery, monsters and even some characters.
Its story is very trashy and forgettable and it would have been better if the main character wasn't such a Mary Sue type of character, but the animation and overall design is beyond perfect.

Besides the sci-fi/gothic genre, the group of brothers (and especially their sister) from the movie reminds me of Viktorias band of mercenaries and the green lady in the trailer that fuses with a tree reminds me of Lilith.

I must say I didn't enjoy Bunraku that much besides the Woody Harelsons role. It reminds me of the movie called Spirit and in a way the new Sin City in that that I didn't care for any of the characters because they were played too cool and too invulnerable and that feels too shallow. I guess that's the same reason I don't want to see Suckerpunch.
Heh, the anime I mentioned above has similar problems, but it's more akin to Kill Bill in that respect because the characters are just too cool, but not invulnerable. There has to be some stakes to create suspense and enjoyment.

• 6 years later...