Ikvars painting adventure (feedback welcome)

Ikvar

Some updated pictures of Lilith, still a long way to go but it is getting better. The light is really bad though, and it is washing out a lot of the colours. But I hope you can still see where I am slowly going with the model :)

- I will be getting a permanent little photo studio soon, which should make taking proper pictures of my WIP etc a lot easier. I just cant be arsed to set up everything every time I need to take a picture >>

Lilithf_zps632a404f.jpg

Liliths_zpsfd6d7be4.jpg

Lilithb_zps73333863.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I am truly sorry for the lack of updates, however, as I have said before I am still kinda new to the hobby. And shortly after I posted the last thing with Lilith, I kinda hit my first wall with my head first(I think thats how you say it in english?^^).

A bit after I found out that my problem was not that I did not want to paint, I was simply tired of painting so long on the same model. So instead I have started a new strategy- I paint whatever I want to paint, and then I come back to the models I have not finished at a later point.

I will never want to speed-paint, or paint something that I think is "just ok", but instead I will have multiple projects running at the same time.

This also means that there will be a lot more WIP stuff in this blog, as I wont always finish what I have just started, before I do something new.

On another note- I have finally finished my small photo studio, so it should also be easier for me to take good pictures without to much of an effort :)

I am currently working on Lilith, Baby Kade, Miss Ery, Barbaros and Mr.Graves.

As a fun little game, I thought I would let you guys have an impact on what project I should focus on. I might not do exactly as you guys want to, but at least it might encourage me to paint a bit more... but I guess we will see if there will even be an interest in this ^^

This is what I am currently working on, and remember it is still very much WIP :)

MrGravesF_zps8869c2cf.jpg

MrGravesS2_zpsf834df70.jpg

MrGravesS1_zps23a77d13.jpg

It sadly seems like there was a fault in the sculpt at his mouth... as he simply have no mouth what so ever ^^

- so atm I have simply painted a line so I know where it is supposed to be.

I would love any kind of comments on it, if you just remember it is still WIP. And I would also love some comments on the photo itself- both the size, how much it is zoomed in and the background, as I am also still learning to take miniature photos. I am most uncertain with the colours I have choosen as the background- do there need to be more contrast between the miniature and the background?

• Like 3

First off, just wow. Really. I'm not one for just going 'that's amazing!' for the sake of it, I feel that detracts from when something truly is worthy of the title 'amazing'. So let me just begin by stating, your work is worthy (in my humble opinion) of that title. It really is that good.

I agree with the comment for the base of the pig however. It's too busy, and for your very bold and clear style it does detract the eye from the wonderful work on the miniature itself - it is still a fantastic miniature though, don't get me wrong.

Lillith's base however is just right. I love the arcane ruin bases, that's a great choice for her as if she is standing on the ruins of old Malifaux. The choice of the green and amber colours are subtle, highlighted well and don't detract. They look good, but they don't demand the eye, which is an improvement. Her cape is a real gem, especially the Neverborn symbol. I'm a huge fan of a painter who gets creative with blank spaces like that, and you got the highlights and the symbol down very, very nicely. The sword stole it for me though; that extreme highlight on the edge is my favourite part. 

At first I wan't keen on the eyes, but once you say cartoon style, it totally fits! That is exactly how cartoon style is and it works very well with the bold colours. 

Also, that's probably the best Mr Graves I've seen. The pinstripe suit... again just wow. I also like his face and eyes, I feel that it works. He is an overgrown monstrosity, a Neverborn in human disguise and out of proportion and he's meant to be. I think the face suits him perfectly. That's my favourite of the three on here so far.

Your style is without a doubt unique. I've never seen anything quite like it in 10 years of gaming; usually it's photo realism that is the ultimate aim for a painter but I really feel you've branched off and made a totally new style here, one I've never seen before, or if I have, never seen it done so well. Ignore the hate you get. People are always jealous when someone forges a new path, because they feel it makes their work obsolete, unable to see how it benefits both to have a range of styles. You clearly deserved to win your award.

Keep at it. I will follow your future work with great interest.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for all the nice comments everyone, and a special thanks to MACHIAVELLI for such detailed comments. Its always nice to see that all the details I put into my figures does not go unnoticed :)

I am also really happy that some of you guys even like my style, it was quite a hard path to choose in the beginning, when everyone around me kinda hated it.

But remember that you are also more then welcome to give some negative criticism, even if it is only minor problems... of course I realize that it might be a bit hard to do, seeing as most of it is WIP ^^

But the pictures themselves at least, you are more then welcome to criticize- as I mentioned before, how should I choose the colours of the backgrounds in future pictures, are the pictures big enough, are they zoomed in on the figure enough etc?  

• 3 weeks later...

A little update on Mr. Graves:

1_zps6cadc291.jpg

2_zps8dc15683.jpg

3_zpsd4fed868.jpg

I would say he is about 75-80% done at this point, still need to clean up a lot of lines and transitions, and all the nmm.

The camera had some problems with all the shiny effect from the sewer water etc, so it is not showing all to well in the pictures sadly :/

What do you guys think about the veins on his arm?

- I have never done it before, and I am not sure exactly how to do them...

I should have some updated pictures of Lilith soon, and I have also just begun work on Killjoy :)

• Like 5

I like his suit a lot :) you have a quite a unique cartoony style - I am very interested to see how you approach Killjoy!

I'm not (yet) a hundered percent sold on Grave's face. For my taste it has a slightly too feminine touch (very soft features and the lips, I guess), but that might also be the light.

Great job, though, also on the base!

Haha, you are so right about his face ^^

It was actually the first thing my gf said when she first saw it, especially with the lips. The truth is I am a bit... "scared"(for a lack of a better english word^^) because as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are a lot of faults in the sculpt of his face, such as no lips or any other definition other then his eyes actually.

But I will return to Graves a bit later, for now I am having fun with Killjoy ;)

Btw did I go overkill on his base like with some of the comments with Gracie?

- I had so much fun with the blood and water effect, that I kinda forgot about the whole "keeping the base simple" O_o

Imo the issue with Gracie was (guess that's part of what Math said) that she is quite a busy mini as she is. Given her stubby legs and belly she's practically touching the ground and that combined with a busy base made it hard for the viewer to perceive her as a whole. Also, she did not have a clear main focus point color-/lightwise.

I don't think the crowded base would be such an issue with Graves because he towers over it. Additionally, you used quite subdued colors in the lower part of the mini and all of the base, leading the viewer's eye to the bright skin tones of the face and upper body of the mini, thus putting the focus on Graves himself.

Glad you think that way, I also thought I could do a bit more as there were so many gray colors on the mini :)

On another I was just altered the title a bit and made a disclaimer in the first post, and I will just copy/paste it here to make sure everyone sees it ^^

Disclaimer: I truly want people to criticize me all they can, I still have a long way to go, but I fully intend to win a Golden Demon in a couple of years. To do this I need your help!

So please help me get better, and be as harsh as you want to be. As long as it is constructive, I welcome all critisisme!

You seem to "suffer" from the same taste I have. I really like sharp distinct highlighting and contrasts in a more "drawn" or comicbooky style for most models - any models that are predominately metal, wood, cloth, or fur I make more realistic though. This probably has a lot to do with me sucking at painting flesh, lol. Apparently this is "the wrong way to do it" according to painting snobs but I like really busy models not those "proper" ones that are the appropriate amount of detail and lighting and blah blah. I want models to grab my attention, more freehand, more guts, more battle damage, more sharp highlights! Busy busy busy... I never understood why people say "don't disperse the focus over the whole model - focus attention towards the face" or whatever else - make the whole model pop! :) Your stuff is fresh compared to all the typical tedious and boring stuff you see. I see so many models that make me go "wow that's well done... but boring as hell or easily forgettable."

Oh gee, another OSL model, wow look at all that blending and like whatever else the artsy fartsy community considers to be "proper."

I'm not a snobby critic by any means but I personally think your style is great, please don't change it to appease the status quo.

• Like 1

Hey Ikvar, I was just wondering why the pin-stripes on Graves' waistcoat bend out to the left and right. I assume it's to simulate his fat belly, but shouldn't they be pushed forward and remain linear from a head-on perspective? It also seems weird how distorted they are compared to the line of buttons which is perfectly straight like it's fitted.

Also, I really like your base but I probably would have varied the colour of the cobblestones a bit less so they look uniform apart from repairs, rather than being from a mismatched bag.

@SPECTREELITEGAMING thanks for the nice comments, I am currently trying to find a happy medium with the more normal and my kinda extreme colours/highlight style. I will never stop painting with my comicbook style, however I also see the merits in trying to keep a focus on the miniature so the details wont end up drowning in all the rest of the extreme highlights and colours :)

@LUSCIOUSMCCABE I fully understand what you mean, but you should try to take one of your own shirts and stretch it a bit, and then you will see how much the patterns will actually bend. I might do it a bit more then needed, just to make the effect a bit more visible on such a small space. The buttons are placed in the middle, where they are all fixed in place... and because they are most likely made out of metal and dont stretch like fabric would ^^

I see what you mean about the base though... need to think about that :)

But thank you so much for the critic!

Some updated pictures of Lilith:

15885069208_89f8494ee0_o.jpg

16070593421_9d94c5a198_o.jpg

15450215344_54bc0ce083_o.jpg

And it turns out that the webpage I have used for uploading pictures have been screwing with the colours, so I am trying out a new place. 

She is not 100% done, but about 90% done I guess. I need some darker colours in the shadow of the cape where the freehand face is, and I need to do something about that damn shine! >>

If you know of a matt varnish that is actually matt, please help me out. Vallejo matt varnish simply wont work for me, no matter how much I shake the bottle.

There is also some other stuff I need to fix on this model... but I cant set my finger on it, so it would be awesome if you guys could help me out. I think I have stared way to long on this damn miniature ^^ 

Best part of this mini is the base, very smooth. One issue i have with lilith is the red. Hair, shirt and booth are all the same color. Mayby tone the hair differently? Also, i dont know how wel it firs your comic style, but you could try to highlite with off white. IMHo Especially color like red looks a bit odd when highlited to pure white ( unless you go for glossy red)

There is also some other stuff I need to fix on this model... but I cant set my finger on it, so it would be awesome if you guys could help me out. I think I have stared way to long on this damn miniature ^^ 

Other than how much the color combo clashes? The blue and red are working for me, but the purple with them is a little harsh on the eyes. However, I'm a massive fan of complimenting colors and I don't usually stray too far out of that box so I'm pretty biased on that score.

I'm also at work and the computer moniter is pretty bad but from what I can see that would be my only complaint so far. Your technique is superb and I'm liking the metallics.

Thanks for the comment :)

I see what you mean with the red, however I wont dare to throw more different colours on the mini, as I have been told by some pros that I need to try and minimize how many different colours I use. And I actually dont use pure white anywhere on the red, I mix some skin colour into the red base colour... but maybe I need to tone it down even more?

No...no....I wouldn't throw anymore color on there. Personally I would have chosen a different color somewhere at the start....something more neutral.....I know that doesn't help now....and other people might like it...who the hell am I?

(again, work computer) I think the red looks good. I think the purple is more extremely highlighted than the red....not that that bothers me....my style is also pretty cartoony.

Other than how much the color combo clashes? The blue and red are working for me, but the purple with them is a little harsh on the eyes. However, I'm a massive fan of complimenting colors and I don't usually stray too far out of that box so I'm pretty biased on that score.

I'm also at work and the computer moniter is pretty bad but from what I can see that would be my only complaint so far. Your technique is superb and I'm liking the metallics.

I hate the fact that monitors show pictures differently, it is something I never thought about until I started to take pictures. My own monitor is an awful laptop screen, so I have to use my GFs monitor when I want to look at the finished picture... but the problem is that her monitor is a really good IPS panel that PROs can use for picture editing... but how many people even have that? so I have no clue how the colours would look like for different people, which really frustrate me :/

I was also just notified by some friends that have seen the real model, that these new pictures I have taken of Lilith are very dark, and I now know that I have set the functions in my DSLR wrong, which also fucks up my colours... so annoying how hard it is to simply show a mini how it looks IRL >> 

AAaanyway on to the painting subject- I see what you mean with the cape, and I might actually have changed it a bit if I painted a new version, but I must admit that I am to tired of the mini to alter all that now... though I do like to have some purple on all my Neverborn minis :)

AAaanyway on to the painting subject- I see what you mean with the cape, and I might actually have changed it a bit if I painted a new version, but I must admit that I am to tired of the mini to alter all that now... though I do like to have some purple on all my Neverborn minis :)

I do like the purple. I think the three colors (instead of two and a neutral) could work, but I would have altered the red to be more of a yellow/orange.....being the compliments of purple and blue respectively. But I think I would have painted that on a piece of paper first to see how it looked....that's something I often do if I'm not doing strict complimentary colors.

I totally agree on the picture/moniter frustration. I seriously struggle with that.

Mm, black and white are not considered colors, so mayby black hair to calm the mini down? :)

Or just higlite/ wash/ tone the reds slightly differently? Ie. Give boots some dark brown wash/ shading

And for hair add orange for highlite instead of fleshtone.

That way boots would get this red leather feel and the hair would stand out more.