Iron Quill - Loss - The Hunters

vinush

The darkened streets were strewn with discarded wrappers, the litter from the carnival goers danced lazily in the meagre breeze. It was hot and humid, causing most folks to sleep with their windows open while the curtains wafted gently, caressing sleeping faces like ghostly fingers reaching for their lost loves.

High upon the rooftops two sets of eyes glistened in the silvery moonlight as they surveyed the tableaux lain before them. A sudden movement at the edge of the street caused the first set of eyes to snap in sharp focus, piercing the ethereal twilight to discern its source while the eyes of his companion remained on the hushed street below.

“Settle down. You are far too jumpy.”

“I saw somefink.” He said, turning back to the street.

His companion grimaced. “I do wish you would speak properly.” She let out a deep sigh. “What do they teach you these days?”

“Sorry.”

“And stop apologising.”

“Sorry.”

She rolled her eyes.

“What we lookin’ for anyways?”

“That is none of your concern. You are simply to follow my lead.”

He shifted restlessly, disturbing the sleeping birds wrapped in their nest nearby and eliciting another sigh from his companion.

“Sit down!” She hissed. “You will give us away.”

He returned to impatiently watching the street for whatever it was they were waiting to see.

After what seemed like hours she moved, startling him from his boredom as she launched herself down to the street to land gracefully and silent, something he had yet to master. He followed with a quiet thump, almost twisting his ankle as he grimaced with pain. She always made it look so easy.

She straightened up and tugged the edge of her black tailcoat down to smooth out any wrinkles then nudged her top hat back to its upright position atop her head.

He stood up and tried his best to smooth out his own coat and hat to match hers before stepping forward to stand by her side and confront their target.

“Were you planning on going somewhere, Sergeant?” She asked in her precise way.

“I… I… I was just taking a breath of air.” The sergeant stammered.

“Jus’ hit ‘im!” He said, eliciting another sigh. “We can drag ‘im back and ‘ave done wif it.”

“That is hardly polite, is it?” She asked, smiling at the sergeant.

He returned a weak smile as he swallowed nervously.

“Mr Lyall is unhappy with you.” Her voice was like ice, sending a shiver down his spine. “He tells me that you double crossed us. He tells me that you plan on leaving without returning his money.”

The sergeant paled. “N… no, not at all. I was-“

She cut him off mid-sentence. “I told Mr Lyall he must be mistaken.” She smiled, showing off her sharpened white teeth. “You are not that stupid that you would do that to Mr Lyall.”

“If ‘e’s not stupid enuff to do that, then what we ‘ere for?”

“And therein lies my predicament doesn’t it, my dear sergeant. My… associate” she said the word like it was a bitter poison, “here is just itching to show me what he can do. And I am just waiting for an opportunity to let him show me.” Just like that her wicked smile returned.

The sergeant didn’t waste a second as he turned and ran. It was hardly going to be a challenge, he was too old and too out of shape, but never the less he ran.

After a short pause she nodded to her partner, giving him permission to begin the pursuit. As he set off at a loping run, whooping like a hyena, she called after him. “Try to keep his head in tact for Mr Lyall.”

------------------------------------------------

Words:623

Item: Top hat

• Like 1