Justiiiiin, what are the new Tara themed upgrades?!

DeleteAccount

Whooops! I read the NB's upgrade wrong! According to the FB post you can use Glimpse to bury an enemy even with friendlies buried. It actually worked out due to how the game went because I don't think I ever had more than 2 enemies buried at once (though I had bete Noire buried often, so the upgrade definitely helped in that regard.) 

Karina got her "set buried enemies on fire" spell off, and her enemy models take damage if fast aura. And she held a table quarter for Reconnoiter. :)

Well, it's better this way since the alternative had very big odds of becoming an NPE in a bad turn for the opponent. It does help you in actually burying enemy models which is awesome, though not really seeing the point of Karina in the equation thanks to Spiraling's comment, hell, with offensive burying actually being more doable, Karina's "count as sacrificed" might go up a bit on stock.

I wanna put a few abominations in a list with Karina so they can use vile reclamation on eachother and give me some cards before I sac them for a deso engine.

It's an idea, but if not careful, can put your void thingies into defense crap at a staggering rate.

Hell, thinking of the nothing beast, his upgrade helps him a ton with Tara, but does it become more attractive to Outcasts masters not named Tara? I mean, the burying aspect is useless unless you are using Killjoys or Hanna buries a friendly model, so it will be blank text pretty much and he brings the once per game ignore damage to the table, but I'm not sure if other outcasts masters are as eager to implode their hands to allow the Nothing Beast to keep doing it's thing. I mean, void wretches is not a problem since they tend to keep some distance doing objectives and chucking slow, but the Nothing Beast really needs to be in the thick of it to be useful and that means low hand size.

It can still be discarded to negate all damage on an attack, so it might survive a bit longer. 

I know, just asking if with that added into the equation, other Outcast masters feel comfortable reaching for it or not. I mean, the huge boon in my eyes is that if you flub initiative, you can blow the upgrade to get an activation out of it, but while Tara can nuke her hand and get the nothing beast to def 6-7, I don't know if other masters would even be interested in such aggression with their hands. But it is a Ca expect with Ca 7 that targets Wp which I believe is a very rare sight in Outcasts and it's damage track, though unbalanced, is still pretty nasty, as well as any chance burying you might get. It's just throwing a question into the air of "is that enough for you Outcast players?".

but does it become more attractive to Outcasts masters not named Tara?

Right now, I'd be happy with it being a really solid choice with Tara, as compared to its current status of trash with anyone but her (without a ton of work), and a decent choice with her that's still probably worse than non-fluffy choices.

I think that it's still so fragile for its cost that it'd be a very rare day I took it without Tara, but it at least may be a possibility now.

Found this on twitter

https://twitter.com/Tograth/status/500606676026654720/photo/1

Basically, nothing new to see, we already had the full picture through bits and pieces here, though now I can put them on the table without thinking I may screw them up. Tomorrow will play a match, still undecided if I'll keep on doing Kirai which is my current or give Tara a pass to test them out.

• Like 4

As a Rezzer I could see a bunch of different uses for the summon, depending on what your playing. 

You do need a high crow which is a drag, but if the bury trigger is trouble you could always roll her with Sebastion, and play "those aren't ours" and sac the model after you summon it, meaning it doesn't get buried, because it's dead. I have also in my limited experience found that Tara doesn't do a great deal of Taxing after the first couple of turn, unless I am completely blowing my opponent out.

Why? Rezzer Enforcers have a bad habit of just dying against Crews designed to play against Rezzers. For it's price I would call it intriguing. Void shield just legit. The burying thing aside(which I think is very strong), being able to block that one huge hit when you lose the initiative flip to keep the Nothing Beast Alive for just a little longer to maybe combo with him again is very strong.

I had actually stopped taking him not because he did bad damage(he did disgusting damage), He would just die too easily when I biffed the initiative flip, or absolutely needed Tara to activate twice.

Found this on twitter

https://twitter.com/Tograth/status/500606676026654720/photo/1

Basically, nothing new to see, we already had the full picture through bits and pieces here, though now I can put them on the table without thinking I may screw them up. Tomorrow will play a match, still undecided if I'll keep on doing Kirai which is my current or give Tara a pass to test them out.

There is one new thing to see, though it's not currently relevant, as best I can remember. Karina will be able to summon non-Resurrectionist Horror Minions, should they ever be released. I had to do a double-take to remember whether Steampunk Abominations or Guilty were Horrors, but they aren't (as far as the post-beta digital cards show, the book could be different, since there are clear changes, like Tannen's cost change, but they're the only things I can think of that could fit). Really glad to see the final versions of the upgrades, though; thanks for sharing (and finding)!

I can see using Crooligans to help the Nothing Beast's Wp based melee attacks.  The Mist can also help protect her void friends from shooting.

Punk Zombies, hard as they are to summon, are relatively card efficient thanks to their built in :+fate , which is a godsend to card-starved Tara.

Drowned are a bit corner case, but you could maybe throw them into the jaws of death just to get the scheme counter when they die.

Not bad for one of the cheapest summoners in the game.

• Like 1

Well, tried them today. Used Tara with Symbiote and Knowledge of Eternity, Karina with Faces of Oblivion, Nothing Beast with Void Shield, 3 Void Wretches, a Rotten Belle, and the Rogue Necromancy with Decaying Aura. Karina got her face blown off turn 1 by Von Schill getting a Red Joker on damage, though the trapper would have ended her anyway instead of putting some wounds on the rotten belle, so at the very least, Karina's new upgrade caused enough of a psychological fear on my opponent to warrant excessive force, so go her I guess. My highest crow in hand all game was an 11 so would have never had access to the good stuff anyway, though being Reconnoiter, the extra bodie could have been useful, but also, keeping in mind I had to Tarataxi the Rogue Necromancy turn 2 and 3, it might have been for the best.

The Nothing Beast performed a lot better, the bury aspect never came up and outside of a lucky red joker damage flip on the trapper, he did jack all, but well, he was going against Friekorps who have a pretty high Wp and flailing without a hand even with double focus is still pretty much in the hands of the deck. Void Shield was gold though when it let me tank Hanna stealing the Nothing Beast's attack to slap him full force and blocking 5 Wd which would have made it mincemeat before activating turn 2. After that, though he missed he at least managed to draw the attention of the strongarm, so good enough, I'm hoping to get better results from him against crews with less Wp defenses.

The star of the show though was the Rogue Necromancy who was bloody amazing through and through and combos like a champ with all of the Wp shenanigans in Tara's crew, getting his free attack with grand ease (left me take out Hanna turn 2 and would have also let me finish the strongarm if I hadn't flipped a black joker). Being able to be delivered and not be pelted in the way in is huge for him, might try forgotten knowledge to do his acid spit with Tara, though would have to shuffle some stones.

Biggest thing was seeing that I could do without Death Marshals to keep my cycles going, so though I love them, it's good to know that using Karina to open my hiring options can be good enough, though I'm still very on the fence about the actual value of taking Karina.

I did win all my initiative flips including the very bloody important ones, so that bears mentioning and my hands were mostly crap and was able to get models alone to spam fast like no tomorrow.

So happy with Void Shield, need to use Karina more to actually get a chance to use it.

I'm in the middle of a Vassal game using these upgrades, and had a few thoughts from it.

Void Shield - obviously the damage reduction is brilliant. The modification of Glimpse has also been somewhat useful, since it let me have a Crooligan left in the void (from summoning the previous turn) and to have Tara drop out the NB to give Rafkin 3 chances to Look in the Box. 3rd time lucky, and Raffy went down the hole.

I also dropped Dead of Winter (and the Death Marshals!) to play Faces with Karina, and I think it's ok so far. I only managed to summon a single Crooligan before Karina ate it (...popping Rafkin back out...), but in general I like the chance to summon. Also, the fact that I don't need a Corpse Marker to summon is great, and saves me the flexibility of figuring out where those corpses are coming from...

Only time will tell if Karina is actually useful, or just a really strange model with a dozen possible uses that will rarely be useful and/or happen, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. :)

It strikes me that Karina's summoning could be helped in Outcasts lists by using Nix. The Nihilist Upgrade, Infectious Melodies, would mean both never needing to unbury the summon or worry about a buried Horror preventing one from summoning again, and gain an extra AP for the summoned model through Fast. Has anyone had any general success with using Nix in a Tara list prior to this? I play mainly Ressers, so I'm not too familiar with that end of the aisle.

• Like 1

It strikes me that Karina's summoning could be helped in Outcasts lists by using Nix. The Nihilist Upgrade, Infectious Melodies, would mean both never needing to unbury the summon or worry about a buried Horror preventing one from summoning again, and gain an extra AP for the summoned model through Fast. Has anyone had any general success with using Nix in a Tara list prior to this? I play mainly Ressers, so I'm not too familiar with that end of the aisle.

Oh, that's clever.  I'm going to give this a try now.