Dealing with Jack Daw

4thstringer

Without even mentioning the rest of Jack Daw's Crew, how do you deal with Jack himself?  His curses are incredibly powerful and can pretty much take your most powerful or useful models out of the game.  He is fast, and with his negative flips on every attack and damage flip against him, he is hard as crap to kill.  Any advice?

I havent played against Jack but I have played with him.  I think the most important things to keep in mind are that his crew is incredibly fast when they want to be and that (like others have said) you should focus more on killing his crew than him or else focus on schemes and strats.

Personally I am always amazed at how long my opponents let Montresor live.  He is very squishy for his cost and does a TON of work for the crew.  Other than Jack pretty much the whole crew is fairly squishy, in the list I run most of the time the strongest thing defensively besides jack is Ama no Zako with Df 5 Wp 7 Hard to Wound, and that isnt impossible to kill by any stretch.

TL, DR - What everyone else said, ignore jack and try to fight his crew or win on schemes and strats.

• Like 2

Hurting casts actions helps a lot since he relys on casts and so do a lot of the models he takes. I used Sonnia against him and while I didn't win I wrecked his crew and Jack Daw went down fairly easily. If it went to turn 6 I probably would have had the game.

Hoffman really hurts Jack. His upgrade that allows him to discard an upgrade from a friendly model just ruins Jack.

Otherwise, you need to decide how important the model that is under the tormented upgrade is effected. Jack himself doesn't do much damage, if he wants to kill one of your big models then he'll have to put Fireing squad injustice, and probably then get the rest of his crew to attack that model. If you don't want it to die, then Activate after Jack and Penance the upgrade.

If you have to kill him (and I'd try and plan so that I didn't have to kill him) then either Focus if you can, or just rely on volume of attacks, he will have to loose some eventually.

Non directed forms of Damage also hurt him, so Blasts, and auras

REally bad idea. Jack daw uses Twist and Turn and makes papa detonate himself. maybe it would deal some damage but really good placement is needed.

Funnily enough Jack also uses Papa Loco a lot so you can do the same to him with obey effects if you can get it off without Papa Loco with Oathkeeper and tormented movement shenanigans out-threating you.  So difficult yes, but something to be aware of.  Generally it is just good to know the ins and outs of Papa Loco when playing against Jack, I find I almost always take him as he is so fast in the crew and can hand out "Hold This" to something (usually Ama no Zako).

At the end of the day he is DF 4 with 13 WD so just hitting him with high min damage and high Sh , Mi and Ca that goes on Df. the 2 times I have killed him are with a flurrying peacekeep and perdita just shooting him. He is not that hard to kill and his real strength is pushing his crew at you and assassinating/locking down 1 model. But 99% of the time you want to kill his crew and get VP over dealing with him.

Had a game today (my Neverborn, though, vs Jack Daw, so apples to oranges for Master specific tactics). Basically just used terrain and lures to my advantage (plus Lilith's 0 action placing blocking terrain) and picked the crew apart one to two at a time. By the end of turn 3 Jack Daw and one Guilty were all that my opponent had left in a 50SS game.

Take out Montressor, and any other crew specific priority targets first and Jack becomes less and less scary (Mine were Jaakuna -> Montressor ->  Lady Legeia -> the rest/others as needed). Granted, my opponent had an unfortunate two rounds of bad cards, so that helped, but the divide and conquer strategy worked nicely.

Montressor is defilitely Squishy (santiago with the help of a few high masks took him out at range in one turn despite a black joker)

Df 6 Wp 4 on a model with that few wounds and no defensive abilities melts pretty fast.  On top of that he costs 9-11 SS.  As mentioned above by Asrian I think Jaakuna Ubume is probably another really easy one to pick off that you should prioritize.  Again she is expensive in SS for what her defensive stats are.