Liquitex Extra Heavy Gloss question

asrian

For Mako and anyone else who's used this before.

I bought a small bottle of the extra heavy gloss to use as water effects for my "swamp" bases for Lilith/Zoraida and crew. I tested it out on one model, but it didn't seem to come out right (dark green and varying shades of green/yellow on the base, then applied Gloss in thin layers over time to build up, but still doesn't look very "water like")

So, my question is what would others suggest (this product or with anything else you know that might work) for creating swamp water like terrain on the bases. Do you find it's better to do as I did and paint the base, then apply over the bases, or better to color the Gloss or Water effects you use first with the intended shade then apply?

Thanks

Have to say, I've not used their heavy gloss. Super heavy texture gel for sculpted water, but for flat liquid water I tend to use gedeo crystal clear resin. It's pretty good, and doesn't shrink much when curing. You just want to make sure there's enough of so dip to pour it into, it's best if you have a millimetre depth as a minimum for using resins I've found.

I generally paint the base how I want the ground under the water to look, then pour the resin over. You can tint it using Tamiya clear colours, green and smoke work well for murky water. You only need a tiny bit though, the colour looks a lot stronger when the resin cures.

Ahh. Yeah, texture gel is only good if you want rough water surfaces, it doesn't look quite right for flat pools like swamps. Getting a flat surface is a nightmare, and you get more air bubbles in it than resin.

You can always put a thin layer of resin (or gloss varnish if needs be) over it to smooth the surface,see if that helps.