Unboxing Som'er Teeth Jones 'The Bayou Boss' Set

GMort

ZFiend - I quite like the model though I may convert mine to have a bigger hammer. I appreciate that they've changed it to give the female version a different style but I may give mine something a bit more impressively scaled...

CheshireMonkey - It is bigger than the metal version...not by a large amount admittedly but to be fair he's only meant to be big by Gremlin standards...

Being new to actually playing Malifaux, not the universe or it's models, I was very excited to finally get my Hands on the Som'er box as Gremlins is the faction I decided to play. I am not new to assembling models and do clean mold lines, use filler ect. I found this box to be a huge pain to assemble. There was quite a lot of filler required, multiple pieces did not line up properly and things like the Fishing rod gremlin left arm were just not fun. The skeeters were I think the worst of if for reasons explained in the un-boxing. Now this does not mean I do not like the models, I love the models! I am mostly going off having assembled the Red Chapel set and some of the Dark Debt's box not too long ago for something to do while I awaited the Som'er box release. I didn't seem to have near the issues with them that I did this box. In the end, I am loving the models now that they are assembled and happily painting them, but it just seemed like it took way more work for this particular box :/

You summed up pretty much all of my thoughts whilst I assembled it myself so great post :D

I too had issues with Som'er's three part face. One other thing that was a problem for me were Som'er's belt and coat tails. The belt just didn't fit and needed some shaving to get it into place. Besides him and the Skeeter antennae snapping I didn't have any real issues. 

Thanks for the unboxing. I wouldn't have noticed the rope connection on Gremlin 2 if you hadn't pointed it out!

Thank you for reiterating the same problems I had with the models.  There were lots of gaps that I haven't even tried to fill yet, including the 3 part face, Lenny's arm/shoulder joints, Somer's chain belt (really bad fit, worst fit of any model so far actually) and of course the fishing pole gremlin's lone forearm. As I stated in another thread, whenever you have some kind of weapon that has all of one arm and only the hand of the other arm, leaving just a forearm to attach to the shoulder and wrist joint, this makes too many connection points, which is difficult to line up properly.

Seems like the scale for the BGs is about spot-on to have them fit in with older models, which is excellent.

I'm rather irked that the new Skeeters are too big for a basic 30mm base.  So glad I have alternate models already finished and painted, I won't even have to deal with the buggers.

Looks like both Somer and Lenny got a bit bigger over their previous models, but not by much.  I do like the new Somer model a lot...but my original one is already painted...

If any of you guys (or gals for all I know, lol) want to add any extra issues with the models to the comments section of the article I'll edit them into it at a later date.

It's sometimes difficult to gauge just how much detail to put into these articles which is why I only list the really significant issues but do multiple angle pictures and relevant close-ups so people can see for themselves. Mould line removal and minor filling are parts of the hobby really so I only mention them if they're really glaring or problem causing.

I too had issues with Som'er's three part face. One other thing that was a problem for me were Som'er's belt and coat tails. The belt just didn't fit and needed some shaving to get it into place. Besides him and the Skeeter antennae snapping I didn't have any real issues. 

Thanks for the unboxing. I wouldn't have noticed the rope connection on Gremlin 2 if you hadn't pointed it out!

I had the same problem with Som'er's belt. It seemed to curve at a different arc than the recess it was supposed to fit into. I had to carefully bend it to get it to fit and even then there was a big gap on both ends. And don't get me started on his five piece (counting the two piece hat) head.

Edit: Forgot to add an additional agreement on the skeeter. One of them, the antenna was snapped on the sprue.

I'm glad this thread popped up, I think it's convinced me to forgo the new box set and just get more BGs when they come out next month.  I've already got a painted Somer and 4x Skeeters that I like, and I have a metal Lenny (unpainted though).  I liked the new Somer and Skeeter models somewhat, but not enough to want to deal with the headache being described here.  Saves me like $20 too to spend on new models instead of repeats.  So, thanks for the feedback on this everyone :)

• Like 1

Putting together the box for my "Summer of S'omer" project. Honestly, knowing where the trouble is beforehand and having a little patience, the box really hasn't given me any trouble except for those hair-thin bits on the Skeeters (order of operations: put the legs into the base piece first cause if you save them for last, that delicate head is AWKWARD.)

I LOVE how Lenny has turned out, and if you use the middle legs and the butt, TECHNICALLY the Skeeters can fit on a 30mm :D

Getting ready to move on to the Bayous and will probably go cross-eyed from putting delicate pieces together with my sausage fingers.

• Like 1

Spent 2 hours last night assembling.

I was pre-warned about a few of the issues, so didn't have too many problems.

Sommers belt just needed a little extra trim to fit, and I added a bottle to cover the join.

Ditto the head, just kept trimmign till the dry fit worked.

Both Skeeters had an antenna break, but it was relatively easily fxable (may look wonky when I return to them, but probably not too much).

Likewise I put the legs in before adding head and wings, and there wasn't much problem, and it fits well.

I struggled with the fishing rod, but getting 2 spindly arms to connect at both sides is always hard.

Things like the number of loose feet that have to be glued on may cause issues when I finally attach them to bases, but I've recently started using Plastic base inserts, so I'm less concerned.  

Its a good looking kit, and whilst a bit daunting if you are new, it seemed fairly intuative in most places.

The 4 bayou gremlins are mindblowingly horrid to assemble IMO. I agree if you know Som'er's trouble bits you can prepare yourself a little. The hunched over gremlin has feet issues and the frog/gun combo was a bad idea. Fishing pole gremlin has the foot issue and his arms have been discussed already. The heads are a pain to get at the right angle.

Some of these joints you just end up saying, "F it", and hope you're close.

This goddamn belt will not fit and I can't even figure out why it's a separate bit.

edit: ...and now the thing just snapped out of place with enough velocity to send it flying off my bloody work desk...

edit:...and lost forever. I/m not even one model in and this kits in contention for worst in recent memory.

• Like 1

So the new barrier to entry is the models? Seems rather contrary to have done all that work "streamlining" the rules to ease entry only to make assembly into a major point of frustration and new barrier to entry.

They may be beautiful and extremely detailed models (great for painting comps) but if they require an "experienced" hand to assemble then they are missing the mark (especially for those that only paint for "the three foot look" or only want to play the game).

• Like 3