Jump to content

MnSU crew box


Mr Blackhammer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just finished putting together the MnSU crew box and I must say that they look really nice.  However I did find them very very fiddly to assemble.  I build a lot of models (both kits and scratch built) but I did find them a bit of a pain.  Also are the base sizes on the cards right?  How is the steam arachnid going to fit on a 30mm base?  I'm going to have to do some serious thinking on how to get it to fit and look good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might be able to build  up to everything except one spiderleg for painting, and put a rod in the last socket so you can hold him to paint.  You can also drill a small hole in the bottom of the model and insert a paperclip to hold him with so you can paint - they all sit so low, it's not like anyone could see.

 

The steam arachnid is the small spider that came 3 to a box, 1 should fit on a 30mm base easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Brass Arachnid is so absurdly oversized that I'll likely end up tracking down the old metal version and using it.  You can get it on a 30mm base, but you need to build it up a bit and it looks out of place.  I'm rather disappointed in it - maybe I'll just stick some sort of high beam on the base and hang the spider from it :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Brass Arachnid is so absurdly oversized that I'll likely end up tracking down the old metal version and using it.  You can get it on a 30mm base, but you need to build it up a bit and it looks out of place.  I'm rather disappointed in it - maybe I'll just stick some sort of high beam on the base and hang the spider from it :P

 

I picked up the metal one for that reason.  When I eventually buy the MSU box, I'll probably try converting the plastic Brass Arachnid into a Large Steampunk Spider.  Should just need an old dremel saw blade & some bits...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Brass Arachnid plastic model is notorious for being a royal pain to fit on it's base. I somewhat solved the problem by building up the base with some cork tile I picked up from a local DIY store. I got about 8 square feet of cork tile for around £8 so I've got plenty of the stuff to use on other crews or for terrain. It helped but there are still a load of legs overhanging. I've not put him in my case yet though because I just know he will explode in the typical fiddly model fashion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My plastic Brass Arachnid is currently on a built-up base that makes Howard look small.

 

I'm probably going to follow Eldarion and add in a saw bit or something and use it as a large steampunk arachnid.

 

Plus the metal brass arachnid is so cute I die a little on the inside.  You go tiny robot - you go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've gone for the built up cork tile too.  I picked up a stack from a car boot sale a while back.  The cork will support the body and a couple of the legs and if I get it right it should look like it's climbing over a large rock.  There will be some overhanging legs but I can't do much about that.  I'll stick up some pics when I'm done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information