Second master or list of minis for next buy

carreras

Hi everybody on Wyrd! I have played about three games using my Lucius starter box and I am currently looking for more minis to buy and paint. I know I should probably stay with Lucius for a while longer. However, I have a yearning for more  minis and was thinking about getting another box of a master or some more minis. Problem is I don't know who could "Compensate" for Lucius in a tourney setting. Lucius as I understand it is a lot of support and laying down schemes quickly. Seems nice for scenario play.

Now who could compensate for harder hitting power in certain schemes? or should I just get more minis to play around with in my list, in that case which ones?

I currently have:

Lucius box set

Austringer

Dashel (old name i guess)

and 2 extra guild guards.

I also have the Lynch crew box so technically I could go neverborn as well.

I was looking into McMourning as he seems crazy fun, also Sonnia for witchling stalker summoning games.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

P.S. might b worth to inform you that I have played a lot of wargames before including Infinity (scenarios heavy game), warmachine and ye old horrendous 40k

I actually think that because you own the lynch box, doubling down on Neverborn isn't a bad idea. Especially due to Lucius being able to drag a large portion of your Guardsmen into the faction.

Illuminated are devastating with Lucius, who can support them up close with his :+fate ml bubble and he can hand out :-fate  :-fate  to hit with his sword cane. Lucius is also interesting in that he can bring some solid ranged support into neverborn. And tots and young are pretty good in a Lucius crew. Check it- Guild Pathfinder summons a Clockwork Trap, Lucius uses a soul stone, Devils Deal passes 3 damage onto the Clockwork Trap to keep his stone, the Trap is killed, Pathfinder draws a card from Scavenge, Young Nephelim gains fast from thirst for blood... Basically you get a Soulstone, Card, and Fast for the price of a 6+  :tome 

Perhaps lilith and the nephilim pack might be your best bet. She's got some some great assasination abilities, which are useful for a lot of schemes

• Like 1

I play Lucius as my main master, and Sonnia as a second.  I really like the entire Sonnia box set with lucius, as he can order around the stalkers and the condition removal is really nice and Samael really benefits from Lucius's ability to move him around the board, and Lucius gains from Sam's ability to hit like a freight train.

I have also been digging the Tannen and graves twosome and doppelganger with lucius, and they play with neverborn too.

Yeah, Lucius is great for Strats/Schemes where you don't need any killing....but not so great for Reckoning or when you want to use Assassinate or Murder Protege. His most obvious gap is damage potential.

So when you want to go to someone with more hitting power you really have two choices...do you want to stick Guild, or Neverborn?

Lynch with Huggy and Illuminated are mean for melee combat........Pandora you might like because she is a bit tricksy like Lucius...wanting to get her crew in the proper places and dictating the flow of how the enemy activates...but she can lay down a sick amount of damage when set up properly.

There is plenty of damage to be had in Guild....that's more their specialty. Sonnia is one of my favorites.......she rains fire down like a storm and she grows stronger as you grow weaker by having one of the most reliable summons in the game.....Stalkers are brutal in melee....and Sam....forget about it....in melee he can get his Weak damage up to a SEVEN...few models in the game can match that. McMourning is also a very good summoner.....he is pretty mean in melee and with some set-up, the crew can dump a bunch of poison on a single model and make them take all of that poison damage at once....it's awful. Lady J is one of the best melee models in the game and when she goes after something it usually disappears......she is supported by her all-around solid crew of The Judge and Death Marshals....they are all fairly resilient and are good in melee as well as at range.

I'm sure you can find something you like in either faction.....you just need to decide whether you like the iron-fisted, more straight-forward Guild.....or the more tricky, evil Neverborn.

• Like 1

What Dgraz said. If you want to add more variety for  Guild Lucius that is not a master's box set get guild riflemen, two guild pathfinders, guild hounds, and a second austringer. If you want a master box set look at Lady J, Sonnia, or Perdita; each of those has a lot of models that would sync well with Lucius too. Not to mention they are all plastic and look great.

Thanks alot all you guys who have replied. I have been lookin at both neverborn and guild. Just can't decide :D Luckily both Sonnia and perdita are crew boxes that I like the look of. Going pandora means I can get baby Kade, Candy and HUGGGYYYYYYY!! So in love with those models. Sonnia seems like a very fun master to play against and since summoning is one of the nice unique things in malifaux she's definiatly an option. Does sonnia work well with the minis I have? tried theoryfauxing a bit, but lack of experience makes me blind.

Also..I would like to stay within Guild, but I'll ask some more advice on pandora in the neverborn forum. (still interestedin both faction :D)

I also wonder about "building lists" . Is it sorta like building a Magic deck or is there a lot less synergy across the board?

@ Carreras - from what I've seen so far, it seems like there is a small select group that do well with synergizing with each other and then the rest of your builds should really be built around what the game strategy and schemes are. Some models do better for certain schemes and so on.

I'm new to the game so I'm just theorizing here ( haven't played yet, still painting and learning)

. Does sonnia work well with the minis I have?

I can't help you with that much as I don't play Lucius at all and I'm not familiar with the models he normally uses. The Austringer however is an excellent model in ANY crew......I personally don't use them very often, but tons of people auto-include at least one.

I also wonder about "building lists" . Is it sorta like building a Magic deck or is there a lot less synergy across the board?

@ Carreras - from what I've seen so far, it seems like there is a small select group that do well with synergizing with each other and then the rest of your builds should really be built around what the game strategy and schemes are. Some models do better for certain schemes and so on.

I'm new to the game so I'm just theorizing here ( haven't played yet, still painting and learning)

You're generally correct. Most Masters have at least a few models that work extremely well with them...and possibly less well with others. Some Masters can field completely different crews every time.....Marcus and Nicodem spring to mind, but there are a few others as well.

Non-Master models are the same....some work best with a certain master or with certain other models....some models work great with one master, but can work well with several other masters, and some are just excellent all around.

Guild especially has a ton of models that work well with any master....like the Stalker.....his ability to automatically give burning is fantastic with Sonnia.....but that burning equals extra damage with any other crew, and they also have the Dispel Magic for Condition Removal which any crew can make use of....they also hit pretty hard in melee. 

You should never really build a crew before flipping for strat/schemes....although if you definitely want to play a certain master, you're usually pretty safe taking a core of models but leaving room to alter Upgrades and pick some other models that will do well for the missions. Like when I know I'm playing Sonnia, I take the Reincarnate Upgrade, Sam with the Witch Hunt upgrade, a Handler with the Disrupt Magic upgrade, and two Stalkers....then I wait to see what I'm dealing with before filling in the rest.

Perdita is a master that works best with more Family models....she should have at least four or five in a crew.........her box set models however work really well with many different crews......I've used 'Cisco with several masters....and I like Papa with Sonnia.

• Like 1

You're generally correct. Most Masters have at least a few models that work extremely well with them...and possibly less well with others. Some Masters can field completely different crews every time.....Marcus and Nicodem spring to mind, but there are a few others as well.

I would be tempted to list Lucius in on that.  I have used him with a large variety of models, and he really seemed to have the flexibility to work with most of them. 

In regards to the Sonnia box: Witchling Stalkers are great 5ss models that play well with many masters and many strategies/schemes, Samael is a great damage dealer for something like Reckoning or Turf War.

In regards to the Perdita Box: Her crew is great to begin with and all of the models other than Perdita and her totem go well in many crews. Francisco I think can go with any Guild master and does well in many strategies/schemes (especially with Wade In and Diestro upgrades, however he then is a 12ss model). Santiago is also flexible in a number of crews although I don't think he is as much as Francisco. The Francisco/Santiago combo is fantastic. Nino is a straight sniper used in a number of crews (he is also great to take for bodyguard if you are careful and play him right). Papa Loco is fun with Sonnia because then there are blasts everywhere.

what do you mean by "they are a mimic so lucius can infiltrate them" ?

One of Lucius' upgrades allows him to hire upto 4 guardsmen or mimics which are not his declared faction. So He can hire the beckoners even if he has declared guild

I don't know, minimum damage of 4 with the Riflemen to 14" is quite terrible especially with the Child and Doppelganger both copying Issue Command.

I guess I should have said Melee damage? Sure Rifleman damage can be good when set up right, but you need to set it up right.........a good player will also mitigate what a ranged unit like that can do..I think he needs something that is a little less finicky and reliable all the time.

Guild Crew - 40 - Dustup

Lucius -- 4 Pool
 +Secret Assets [2]

Captain Dashel [9]
 +Vengeance Bullet [1]
 +Watch My Back [2]
Guard Sergeant [6]
 +Lead Lined Coat [2]
Guild Guard [4]
Guild Guard [4]
Ryle [10]

Just a little suggestion for an upcoming tournament.. Do you think this could stand up to some of the harder stuff out there, before I get new models. Is Ryle tough enough to take care of threats himself?

I think legalese is a must take upgrade. It can really mess up opponents schemes, and counting as friendly for pulses and auras can let Lucius walk all over some crews. At 1ss, its a steal.

Lead lined coat can only be taken on models without armour, so guard sergeant can't take it. I only really like the Sergeant when I'm running *lots* of guardsmen- or plant explosives is in the pool ;). In most cases I think the lawyer would give you better support. His + applies to all your models, and he can pass out h2w which is nice on your armored guardsmen and Ryle. Fees and objection are great attacks, and as a minion can be ordered around by Lucius.

Also I don't think watch my back in your crew is the best. Remember it only effects guardsmen, so in your crew it only effects Dash and your 2 Guild guard (since the sergeant already has accomplice baked in).

Ryle is great. I run him often with Hoffman and occasionally in other crews and hardcore. If you have tomes, saving them for grinding halt can do a lot to keep him alive. He's just a solid model overall, he has durability, movement, and a heal. He's flexible and good.

I used to run a similar crew, and I second switching the lawyer for the Guild Sarge.  Bring the sarge and the austringer, as with the right schemes you can switch them in pretty handily.

I really like Ryle, but watch out for models which ignore armor.  They will chew through him really fast.

As youre lookin for an additonal guild master McCabe would be nice. He is dual 10T/Guild, so that you can also combine him with your Lynch Box. He is agile on his horse, his totem Luna supports Guild Hounds, wich are Guardsmen too, so they can be hired into Lucius Neverborn crew and get benefits from Dashel and the Guard Sergeant and therefore they will also be a good addtions to both masters.