Barbaros and Pandora

jotun

Hi there

I was experimenting a bit with Barbaros lately and I started to like him quite alot.

I usually use him to harass enemy models in ongoing combats.

That is, I use challenge while in range of enemy models locked into combat with my models (apart from the usual push stuff).

So for every attack they want to make against the model their in combat with, they have to first pass a Wp duel.

This helps draining the opponents hand plus seems to add a bit of survivability to some of my dudes.

Now since it's a Wp duel, I thought it might be good to try him with Pandora.

Has anybody tried this? Is he too expensive for the little synergie? - I'm not too big on Candy yet.. :-P

One of the locals regularly uses Barbie with Pandora (John - he actually went to Califaux too). It's a brutal combo and definitely worth considering, IMO. It certainly does very well for him! 

Think of it like this - everyone loves Fransisco for his ability to boost the Wp and Df of another model (usually the Master). It means that the opponent needs to prioritise killing Fransisco over the model he's protecting, which in itself is a huge advantage when the protected model is a killing machine like Lady Justice.

Barbaros with Challenge basically does the same sort of thing as Fransisco, except he does it for every friendly model in his Aura! 

I have been thinking about doing the exact same thing but just with the Dreamer, with all the WP debuffs and insidious madness where you have to discard a card to cheat WP stuff etc... the only problem is the fact that he is not a nightmare :)

What upgrades would you use on Barbaros and Widow Weaver?

I like Nephilim Gladius on Barbaros. Fears given form is great, but I think it's too dangerous to use around Sorrows... If they ever end up in range they're basically dead.

On that note: How many sorrows do you feel are "mandatory" to run in a pandora crew?

I don't think sorrows are mandatory at all. Play around with the number and you'll find a level you are comfortable at.

I'd almost always look at "on dreaming wings" for the widow, having her more mobile helps you get even more value from her.

I don't think there are any manditory upgrades in Neverborn. It depends a lot on what you want them to achieve, so my last Barbaros was on Entourage duty in a stake a claim game, so I wanted to discourage peopel from coming near him, so I took fears given form. Whilst it didn't do much damage, it achived my goal of keeping him alive and getting to the enemy deployment. Required a bit of fiddling my activation order a couple of times to not hurt my own crew, but ultimatly paid off its costs in my plan.

If I was using Barbaros in the middle of a large fight, and tryign to make use of his challenge, tthen it would have been a rubbish upgrade.

Funnily enough that game was using Pandora, and I went for 0 sorrows, and didn't regret it at all.

I like sorrows, but they are certainly not mandatory. One can be a good buy inany Neverborn lists though and I often bring two with Pandora but it really depends on what else I need. Also disagree with the assertion that Fears Given Form and Sorrows don't mix. I run 1-2 Fears Given Form models in my Pandora crew all the time and as long as you plan for it its not really a problem.