Modifying the rules...

Dancing

Does anyone else modify the rules for Through the Breach? I found myself modifying talents, opponents and making up my own items for my players to find? I already told my players that if and when they go to the store to pick up the fated almanac, not to be surprised about the rules being very different.

I was wondering if anyone else uses homebrewed rules?

I know mako, our FM has said that if a fun concept isn't already in the rules he'll figure out a way to make it work. He's also modified our opponents, like the critter in the church from our first encounter. You can read about it in our threads, mako's is "the breach reopens" mine is "forging fated: Anna bywater" and edonils is "forging a fated: Felix Boone" mine has pictures. We're chronicling the entire campaign. :)

• Like 2

In rpg's i think it's normal for the gm (and sometimes the players) to come up with new rules and items.

In the campaign i run one of the player is playing heavy on alchemy and we worked out a few pages of potions and concoctions he can create and what they do as well as various requirements he'd have to meet to be able to make or use them.

The rules are a good guideline but if you run into issues or miss certain things there should be no issue in adding home rules as long as it is clear to the players what changes and how it will work.

• Like 1

In rpg's i think it's normal for the gm (and sometimes the players) to come up with new rules and items.

In the campaign i run one of the player is playing heavy on alchemy and we worked out a few pages of potions and concoctions he can create and what they do as well as various requirements he'd have to meet to be able to make or use them.

The rules are a good guideline but if you run into issues or miss certain things there should be no issue in adding home rules as long as it is clear to the players what changes and how it will work.

Could I have that uploaded to an excel document?

I'll share what i've modified...

I modified the opening talent every pursuit gets, instead of drawing a card when failing skill type A, they may re-do the initial flip.

Manifested Powers are rewarded with every black joker/red joker combo in a duel total... with the player suffering both effects of a red joker flip and black joker flip.

Grimoires may be created with the use of soulstone (destroying it's properties in the process) The players may pick one Magia and X - 1 number of Immunto, where X is the Lade. Any Grimoires made with a soulstone require a Tome to be added to the TN.

I've also created the following types of Soulstones...

Green Soulstones

Your typical soulstone...

Black Soulstones

User suffers -1 damage and must make a succesful Horror duel of 10TN per use / this is added on to a Grimoire <- makes a great trap for greedy players.

• Like 1

It's absolutely normal (and almost expected) for players and GMs and groups as a whole to come up with new content for their tables. One of the many, many great aspects of tabletop roleplaying games is coming up with fun new stuff that noone else has ever heard of.

Okay i just finished a lot of work typing out the progression in my own campaign (i'll post it in another thread) but heres the link to the alchemy potions we created:

Alchemy

Edit: changed the link to the updated version to prevent healing concoctions from being overused.

Edit 2: changed the link again as one of the players unlocked a new set of craftables (mostly taken from the iron friday articles from pp).

Okay i just finished a lot of work typing out the progression in my own campaign (i'll post it in another thread) but heres the link to the alchemy potions we created:

Alchemy

Edit: changed the link to the updated version to prevent healing concoctions from being overused.

I wish I did this rather than hand my people soulstones >.> w.e what is done is done...

I wish I did this rather than hand my people soulstones >.> w.e what is done is done...

Well i can not speak for other groups, but i know in our group we regularly have an 'after session talk' about how it went. To see if we are on track, and how people interpreted things and how they meant their actions as often times what the gm thinks is obvious is abracadabra to the players who didnt pick up on a vital bit of information. Choices made by the gm, wehter they are in rewards/loot/items/difficult fights come up as well and if needed we see how we can correct them. So if you feel the soulstones might unbalance it to much have a talk, explain what problem you have and see if you can resolve it with the group. I think it's better to do so and let players know where problems might arise then let problems grow through session and run the risk of it reining gameplay.