Malifaux Companion Beta - Android App

I didn't expect this to happen anytime soon and I'm glad it hasn't been taken off the table. Is it possible such discussion may resume around the time the beta returns? I'm sure you probably don't know much, I just like to keep fresh the point that there are people who really want something like this to come to life and that Wyrd should never forget about it!

It's probably best that the popups be disabled for now. I see no point to having them open by accident when there is no use for them opening in the first place. 

I must have missed something, what is the multi-pane view?

Options are still being discussed internally at Wyrd; but currently they'd like all rules to stay locked. I'm hoping we can eventually work something out where full rules will become available. As I personally have the option of unchecking that 'Lock Rules' Setting (small perk that I have :P) I know that it is immensely useful to have the rules at your fingertips; both for gameplay and when random list-building ideas strike and you want to quickly look up the rules of a certain card.

Just preventing the popups is what I'm leaning towards, too. I'll probably have a small notification that confirms your click and just says that particular card's rule are currently locked (similar to the Toast when adding models to the new Collection queue) as that would mesh best when some cards are able to be unlocked in the future.

Multi-pane view is something larger 6"+ devices have for more efficient use of screen real estate. It'll show your Crew life tracker right next to a selected model's rules, for example. If you take a look at the User Guide I linked in the first post there are some screenshots of this stuff on the last page.

I posted this in the other mobile app thread, but I would love to see something like Warroom come out for Malifaux (just less buggy). I would happily drop cash on card decks, just for convenience of having access to those cards whenever I wanted

If it makes any difference in the discussion, while I like free apps, if this became a paid for app, if the price was right, I'd pick it up for the convenience of having everything at my finger tips without having to carry all the stuff to a game when I can use the tablet. 

I just feel that without the card information, this app will always be sub par when compared to one like crouching moose has.

It doesn't really DO anything without the cards. Sure you can track wounds. But I have real cards for that. Which I need anyway because the app has none.

And in any case, the app resets after a time much shorter than any Malifaux game I've ever played.. But that's an issue with both apps.

I posted this in the other mobile app thread, but I would love to see something like Warroom come out for Malifaux (just less buggy). I would happily drop cash on card decks, just for convenience of having access to those cards whenever I wanted

If it makes any difference in the discussion, while I like free apps, if this became a paid for app, if the price was right, I'd pick it up for the convenience of having everything at my finger tips without having to carry all the stuff to a game when I can use the tablet. 

I'd pay for the app and the cards all over again (already have all physical decks). The convenience of having everything digital on a phone/tablet would be worth quite a bit. 

As I personally have the option of unchecking that 'Lock Rules' Setting (small perk that I have :P) I know that it is immensely useful to have the rules at your fingertips; both for gameplay and when random list-building ideas strike and you want to quickly look up the rules of a certain card.

This fills me with rage!

I'll have to give multi-pane a try. I've mostly been using the app on my phone, but I do have a tablet I can test it on.

I thought of some new ideas for features:

1. Would it be easy to add a sort of calculator? This sounds pretty metagamey, but I'd like to know things like average Df, Wp, etc. for my crew. Hell, I'd like to know the averages for the whole range of units in the game.
  2. We can currently filter by name, rules, characteristics, and faction, but what about stats? Is it possible to add the ability to filter everything but Df6, for example?

I just feel that without the card information, this app will always be sub par when compared to one like crouching moose has.

It doesn't really DO anything without the cards. Sure you can track wounds. But I have real cards for that. Which I need anyway because the app has none.

And in any case, the app resets after a time much shorter than any Malifaux game I've ever played.. But that's an issue with both apps.

Why do you feel that this app is inherently less useful than The Breach? We're not competing, but if it's missing some critical functionality I'd like to rectify that. Is it the lack of saving/loading crews, aesthetics, links to references (summon cards, websites)? It's definitely still a work in progress and lots more stuff is planned.

I agree about the limited usefulness without rules, as that's what the app is designed to be centered around. My original impetus for creating this (apart from wanting to learn Android programming) was that I hated having to constantly flip each card to get a model's full info. I wanted all the data on one screen. It's a shame I have to lock all of that out for the time being. The time I've spent manually typing everything into the database and all the typo checking has got to exceed programming time... 

With regards to the data resetting, that should definitely not be happening. The state of each of the pages is saved to the device's internal memory, and I'm sure The Breach handles it the same way. Unless the app's private data is deleted the data will remain there even through power cycles. Do other apps you've installed behave the same way? Is it possible you have an aggressive 3rd-party app that's trying to reclaim all the memory it can?

I thought of some new ideas for features:

1. Would it be easy to add a sort of calculator? This sounds pretty metagamey, but I'd like to know things like average Df, Wp, etc. for my crew. Hell, I'd like to know the averages for the whole range of units in the game.
  2. We can currently filter by name, rules, characteristics, and faction, but what about stats? Is it possible to add the ability to filter everything but Df6, for example?

1. Definitely doable, but that's a niche utility that'll have to wait until all the core stuff is implemented.

2. I have plans to implement a detailed, multi-parameter search, in addition to the quick single-parameter filtering done now.

• Like 1

Question: What means de numbers right names in collection manager

They're placeholders for a model's painting progress; different columns to keep track of which models you own are owned, assembled, WIP, or fully painted. There will also be some additional filter options, so if you only want to build lists with your fully painted models you'll be able to do that.

How do you go about changing those numbers then? There is no way I can see to increase the number of models of changing that. I tried swap to the right or left but to no avail 

Currently, there isn't a way to change them. The Collection Manager is pretty bare bones at the moment. Implementing that stuff is part of the 'Flesh Out the Collection Manager' item I've got listed in the to-do list of my first post.

I'm currently working on saving/loading Crews, but the Collection Manager will be the next bigger job to tackle.

In encounter page when setting the scores for scheme it happens now and then that my big fingers hit the area between the up and down buttoms for score (the score number area) and it bring up the info about the scheme. Maybe can take away so when pressing the score number in between not open the tooltip. It would help big fingered people like me :P

In the list with your collection i added my models and when i wish to add another one in the add list is it possible to add a quantity number to the models i already added ? So i dont need to go back in my collection again and recheck if i had the correct amount of models added. Is it possible to remove just 1 model to without deleting the whole stack ? Accidently added 5 young nhephelim when i just got 4 and i had to delete all and then add 4 again

• Like 1

In encounter page when setting the scores for scheme it happens now and then that my big fingers hit the area between the up and down buttoms for score (the score number area) and it bring up the info about the scheme. Maybe can take away so when pressing the score number in between not open the tooltip. It would help big fingered people like me :P

Yup, I've run in to that issue was well. I'll see what I can do.

In the list with your collection i added my models and when i wish to add another one in the add list is it possible to add a quantity number to the models i already added ? So i dont need to go back in my collection again and recheck if i had the correct amount of models added. Is it possible to remove just 1 model to without deleting the whole stack ? Accidently added 5 young nhephelim when i just got 4 and i had to delete all and then add 4 again

Do you mean have an 'already owned' quantity in the 'Add Model' list? I like that idea.

Right now you can only delete the entire stack of models. I'll be fixing that when I focus building up the Collection Manager.

Cant find a way to switch between crew 1 and 2 in crew builder ? Can see both in encounter but wanna replace first crew but cant "load" it in crew builder

Once you send a list from the Crew Builder to the Encounter section there is not a way to reload it back into the Crew Builder for editing. The save/load Crew functionality will take care of this annoyance. I've got that stuff implemented and it will be in the next release.

Thanks for the feedback!

Just uploaded a new release. The biggest change is the addition of the ability to save & load Crews. Save your Crew list in the Crew Builder, or load and edit an existing Crew. Load a previously created Crew in the Encounter Companion. Long click on a saved Crew to Rename or Delete it. The Crew is identified by a unique name, so keep the same name when saving to overwrite the previous version or save under a new name to make a copy.

How does the layout look when you're browsing your saved Crews? It shows the Crew's name, leader, rest of crew, total SS cost, and background is the color of the declared Faction. Is that enough info, is it organized OK? I plan on adding some sorting options eventually, also.

As always let me know if you have any issues or suggestions!

v1.10
Added ability to save/load Crews.
Prevent Detail view popup when clicking a model or upgrade if the details are locked.
Increase Guilty base size from 30mm -> 40mm.
Internal improvements.

Just a small update with some bug fixes:

v1.11
-Bug Fixes:
  - Fix three crashes seen with the latest version
  - Crew Builder: Prevent 'Add Upgrade' dialog from immediately popping up after removing an Upgrade
  - Fix Ironsides's manifested Avatar interaction with Imbued Protection, both modifying DF stat
  - Encounter: Refresh Cache size shown on screen when loading a Crew
  - Load Crew: Change 'Master' label to 'Leader'

Mine shows 11ss for Snow Storm.

Thanks for the update, seems to have cleared up a crash issue I was having but hadn't had time to report. Do you get automated reports from your testing system?

Yeah, the distribution system (TestFairy) generates a report every time someone has a crash and then shoots me an email. So it's in my best interests to fix them ASAP if I don't want to get flooded with crash emails :)

• Like 1