Malifaux Companion Beta - Android App

I'm working on getting all the new Book 3 Beta data added to the app. New Models are complete, wrapping up Upgrades, and then on to the Avatar changes. I've got permission to unlock the rules text for the Beta stuff, so it will all be viewable in the app for easy testing! Looking to have an update available in 1 or 2 days.

Book 3 Beta content (new models, upgrades, and avatars) from 1/20 has been added to the app! Rules text for beta content is unlocked, so you have access to the information for easy testing.

To browse just the beta content there is a new drop-down filter option called 'Meta'. Type in 'beta' to filter to only the shiny new stuff.

As always, let me know if you encounter issues, find typos, etc. Enjoy! I'll try my best to update the rules within a day or two of the weekly updates.

• Like 1

Have you considered adding an option to type in a note on schemes like Vendetta or Bodyguard so players can just use this and not require paper and pen? Also, a checkbox within each scheme to sort of "secretly" choose which ones you're taking but not revealing would be helpful.

This is a great app, and thanks for all your work!

Have you considered adding an option to type in a note on schemes like Vendetta or Bodyguard so players can just use this and not require paper and pen? Also, a checkbox within each scheme to sort of "secretly" choose which ones you're taking but not revealing would be helpful.

This is a great app, and thanks for all your work!

Something like that is already in the app :) If you long click on the Scheme, a menu will pop up that lets either player add secret notes or to reveal it publicly.

• Like 2

Version 1.18 has been uploaded. Sorry for the delay since the last update, was migrating the app to a new build environment which took a bit more time than expected.

Content:

• Book 3 Beta Updates: Includes 1/27 and 2/3 updates

Features:

• New Setting 'Restrict to SS Limit'. Restricts hiring options during Crew building to the maximum SS total. (Example: You're at 47/50 SS spent, when you try to add a new model or Upgrade it will only display those with a cost of 3SS or less). There is a known issue with Merc tax not being taken into account)
  • Re-implemented option to transfer a newly built Crew straight to the Encounter page without having to do the Save/Load steps (I never save my Crews, was really annoying)

Polish:

• If the Killswitch Upgrade is removed from a Crew, all Decoy Upgrades are automatically removed
  • Prevent popups when clicking the score or wounds number on Encounter tabs
  • Fix spacing issues with dynamically added Trigger text
  • Remove model stat line from Browse views to save space and increase speed
  • Remove '0,0,0,0' text from Collection entries until the model status tracker is fully implemented
  • Decrease spacing between an Action and its Triggers so they appear more as one entity
  • If no Crew is loaded into an Encounter slot, show help text and disable summon/cache controls so new users don't try to create a Crew from here

Bug Fixes:

• Fix crash on Home Screen orientation change
  • Fix crash when entering certain characters into a filter
  • Fix several database typos
  • Fix lock-up when trying to Load a Crew when there are no Crews
  • Fix several Upgrades which were improperly displayed in its holders rules text
  • Fix possible database search crash
  • Like 1

I'm working on making some changes to parse through a model's Actions and display them in an easier to read format, rather than just the line of text that is on the normal stat card. Here are some pics of the layout I have going on now. Action type (Ml, Sh, Ca), base and target values are combined into one area. Right now the color indicates the Action type (red = Ml, blue = Ca, yellow = Sh), but I plan on replacing that with an image (sword = Ml, Peacebringer = Sh, something magicky = Ca). Damage output (if it exists) is printed to the right, and the rest of the stats are below the Action's name.

This layout looks OK for most Actions, but for Tactical Actions that just have an AP cost it is a lot of wasted space. I'd like to keep all the stats in the same location for each type of action so its easy to reference at a glance. 

Anyone have suggestions to how the stats could be better laid out or what they'd like to see?

med_gallery_26879_377_91451.jpg

The current layout is simple and clean, I actually like the way it looks. Only two ways I can think of to clean it up further in relation to the AP only tactical actions.

1) Remove all the colored boxes, put the Ca/Sh/Ml value and TN in the same line as RNG and everything else. I feel this would be the better solution as it would give a single line to look for all required information on the ability instead of looking over at the box for those two values. This would be in line with the simple layout of the cards which works extremely well. To keep the colors to designate Ca/Sh/Ml you could color the whole top portion of the ability box, or just go with the symbol somewhere to the right in that box. Color would allow quick analysis of what abilities you can use based on range/engagement without having to search for a symbol.

2) Assign a box color for actions that don't require a flip. A black or green box for example to fill the white space currently on the AP only tactical actions.

Thanks for the suggestions, Rori.

Tweaked the layout, margins, etc and I like it a lot better now. Remove the extra row that only had the 'AP', 'RST', and 'RG' labels; that was the biggest space waster. Added the gray color for non-flip Actions so its not just a big white space. I want to stick with the base and target values right on top of each other, as that's information that I always reference and want it easily viewable at a glance. 

Still needs a big graphical improvement, but that's not my forte...

med_gallery_26879_377_89408.png

• Like 1

Version 1.19 Uploaded

• Fixed all known crashes seen by testers
  • Fixed issues with new 'Restrict to SS Total' setting
  • New parsing to display Model Abilities & Actions in an easier to read format
  •     Click the name of an Action/Ability to hide its rules text
  • New Setting to auto-hide the rules text of common Abilities (Armor, Hard to Kill, Terrifying, etc.)
  • Added 'Links' button to Home Page with a few simple URL links

Known Issues with Existing Features:

• 'Restrict to SS Total' doesn't handle the Mercenary tax, so models costing 1 more than remaining SS appear in list
  • 'Restrict to SS Total' doesn't handle free McCabe Upgrade that Conflux of Exploration allows
  • Upgrades that don't fill an Upgrade slot aren't takable if the model was currently full of Upgrades; must be taken before full
  • Few of the Rider's target numbers for their ultimate abilities don't fit well into the space allowed in the parsed view

Version 1.20 Uploaded

Features/Improvements

• 2/10 Beta updates
  • Added support to build Crews for Henchman Hardcore and Enforcer Brawl games
  • Added support for scoring for Henchman Hardcore, Enforcer Brawl, and Treacherous Ties games
  • Improve Browse scroll speed
  • Separate Trigger text by horizontal rule for easier distinction

Fixes:

• Wrath hirable in >25 SS games
  • Prevent 'Hair Trigger' Upgrade from being taken by non-Family models
  • Fix crash when setting Crew's SS Goal
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That change wasn't meant to hide information, it was made more with a final version in mind where with the Browse feature you care less about the stats and more about speed and each entry taking up less space. I'm planning on adding a separate more detailed search where you can filter and sort by multiple fields at once.

Didn't scan the threads prior so might be a redundant question. Any hope you're planning on trying to code this over to iOS/Apple platform? I've heard nothing but excellent things about this app but I don't have an Android unfortunately.

Not currently. Since this started as a project for my personal use and I have no iOS devices and would basically need to rewrite the app from scratch there's no plans to do so. If official support was ever a thing I was hoping someone on Wyrd's end would be experienced enough to do it more quickly than I could, or there'd be monetary compensation for me to slog through it :)

Makes sense, certainly not worth it if you wouldn't be using it yourself lol.

Is this something that would work on a Kindle Fire? I'm tech challenged and all I know is Kindle uses some kind of weird custom android interface. Assume it's not compatible with "real" android devices.

Makes sense, certainly not worth it if you wouldn't be using it yourself lol.

Is this something that would work on a Kindle Fire? I'm tech challenged and all I know is Kindle uses some kind of weird custom android interface. Assume it's not compatible with "real" android devices.

You should be able to install it on a Kindle. I can see that some testers have done so. Maybe see if this works: http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install-google-apps-kindle-fire-hd-hdx/30736/