How do you advance Aspects?

BlueStar86

Aye, you're dependent on having one offered. I've not granted one yet as the situations haven't been right for them. Plus, sometimes, the outright boost to an aspect can raise a whole raft of skills by one point, so it's quite handy.

There is also the part of character creation where you get two points to spend on your aspects after you've assigned them, in case you didn't see that. So at the start you can tweak a bit, then after each fate step you can get another. You don't change much regarding your aspects though, as they're your mind and body. You can learn a bunch of skills and talents, but you're somewhat limited in changing your actual physical being.

Yeah, but you don't always have the FM offer you a Manifested Power, so there is that.

Indeed. Honestly, I find most interesting character concepts rely on at least one manifested power to actually work properly in the game, so I'd tend to go with "getting to yes" in asking for or handing out powers, but YMMV. That whole section of the Fatemaster's Almanac is too dry and pessimistic for my taste.