What is the status of Through the breach for the backers??

WalkingInBlack

I'd make some snarky comment about them being a better source of information than the KS page, the KS specific forum and even this forum, but I suppose there may be significantly more active folks there than any of these places, so it might not be surprising for them to speak up first.

Maybe theirs were the first to go out?

... okay that's just flagrant **** disturbing.  I don't actually think they were given preferential treatment.  I'm not part of the page, but at nearly 1600 members, it's entirely possible they make up a greater portion of the backer base than the dozen or so hardcore who are still griping away at each other in the KS comments.  :-P

It seems Wyrd is pushing themselves into a lava pit if they keep this up, they keep making things worse and things pop up showing they are not really handling things very well.

I have started to wonder if anyone from Wyrd is read any of the posts in the Through the breach forum and specifically posts like this, its starting to seem very unlikely, they might be reading them but they don't seem to take any interest... I wish we could get our rewards and get this over with before things get worse.

Wyrd personal you need to communicate more, silence isn't helping you and dragging it out also doesn't help.

• Like 1

It seems Wyrd is pushing themselves into a lava pit if they keep this up, they keep making things worse and things pop up showing they are not really handling things very well.

I have started to wonder if anyone from Wyrd is read any of the posts in the Through the breach forum and specifically posts like this, its starting to seem very unlikely, they might be reading them but they don't seem to take any interest... I wish we could get our rewards and get this over with before things get worse.

Wyrd personal you need to communicate more, silence isn't helping you and dragging it out also doesn't help.

The TtB forums seems to have been completely abandoned by Wyrd months ago (probably about the time the comments turned very negative). Mack was the only one I recall ever posting there and of course he is no longer with the company in an every day capacity.

I do hope Wyrd has learned some valuable lessons about crowd funding (I have a few ideas I think that would assist if they do this again). Hopefully after Wave 2 though, things will settle down allowing them to attend to some of the other brands they had in the fire.

• Like 2

There were a few people who have posted from Wyrd.  Mack, Jaclyn (or some variation thereof), and I believe some of the usual suspects have tossed up comments or updates.

And frankly, no, it wasn't 'the negativity that drove them away', they were never particularly chatty.  At a glance, they posted roughly 53 comments (in updates and the general TtB comment chatter) across the entire campaign, plus the updates themselves (which were roughly monthly, though I believe there was at least one or two 1.5 month gaps in there).

I believe it was almost strictly Mack posting in the TtB backer beta forum.

Plus some comments here (often prompted) and elsewhere (twitter, dakkadakka, closed facebook groups, etc).  Collating info on this campaign has been a very strange endeavor.  I've backed some big ones, and I've backed a few that continue to struggle across the finish line (or the first of several), but never before one that had info trickle out over so many places.

And honestly, I hope they wait a good long while before trying crowd funding again.  I can only imagine the comments section will need someone willing to slog through them with hip waders and a ballistic vest (figuratively, of course).

• Like 3

And honestly, I hope they wait a good long while before trying crowd funding again.  I can only imagine the comments section will need someone willing to slog through them with hip waders and a ballistic vest (figuratively, of course).

I have both of those and (in my best Liam Neeson from Taken voice)...

"I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."

• Like 2

I got my books yesterday - just the softcovers, no MPMs or other Gaming Room stuff. However, I think they may have rushed these to me because I'm running demos at Gencon.

Still, very impressed at how quickly they got to me in Australia. Via FedEx, they were sent on the 22nd and arrived on the 30th.

Hope you guys start getting your books soon!

• Like 1

And if you're going to be at Gencon, why didn't they just hold your materials until you got stateside to pick them up at Gencon on the prep day?

We're told the pdfs are good enough to run games from...*shrugs*

I wasn't expecting to receive them before I left for the con, and I didn't want to lug them around the US for two months just so I could run two games. :P

I'll be running the games either from PDFs or Wyrd copies, or (most likely) from memory. Critical hit tables are all I need at this point.

My post was more to indicate that the books are now totally a real thing, and hopefully should be getting to other people soon. :)

• Like 1

Anyone had theirs turn up yet? Other than Kadeton?

Note, Kadeton received his books to demo with at Gencon (despite, err, not being interested in using them at Gencon), not his backer box.

So while it's heartening to know the books do indeed exist, for all we know they're still waiting on the hardcovers and haven't got anything in the mail yet.

Which is pure baseless conjecture, but as we haven't had a triumphant "omg it's all finally out the door!" update that will presumably accompany such an occurrence, there's plenty of room for speculation until we're brought up to speed.

And as noted earlier, I respect that "a week and a half before Gencon" is a very busy time for them.  But it's also not our fault that this is all coming to a head on this time line.  It may not be Wyrd's either, but they're the ones driving the project, capable of telling (or not telling) us how things are going and managing our expectations.

• Like 1

It is interesting how people have read 'our goal is to have it sent by the end of the month' as 'it will be sent by the end of the month'

I'm pretty sure there'll be an update posted when everything is shipped, and I wouldn't be surprised if they need to schedule special pickups rather than their normal pickup due to the volume of packages. In which case they may be doing a small number of larger pickups rather than having a bundle shipped every day.

The final possibility is that everything except the MPM are boxed ready to go, and the MPM were held up in customs for longer than expected.

We also have to remember that they wouldn't have the full warehouse team working on this, as they still need to ship orders from the webstore and to distributors whilst this is going on.

It is interesting how people have read 'our goal is to have it sent by the end of the month' as 'it will be sent by the end of the month'

I'm pretty sure there'll be an update posted when everything is shipped, and I wouldn't be surprised if they need to schedule special pickups rather than their normal pickup due to the volume of packages. In which case they may be doing a small number of larger pickups rather than having a bundle shipped every day.

The final possibility is that everything except the MPM are boxed ready to go, and the MPM were held up in customs for longer than expected.

We also have to remember that they wouldn't have the full warehouse team working on this, as they still need to ship orders from the webstore and to distributors whilst this is going on.

Yeah, Given the track record, we really should have been operating under the assumption that saying that meant there was no possible chance they would be sent out before the end of the month...

According to the KS comments, one of the Core backers noted that they received their package.

Be curious to see when the higher tiers go out, as there's some concerns about the delays to the MPMs (all 3 higher tiers) and the delays to the Hardcover books (Living Room, Gaming Room tiers).

But hey, ~20% of the boxes going out would be a start all the same.

Yeah, Given the track record, we really should have been operating under the assumption that saying that meant there was no possible chance they would be sent out before the end of the month...

I was simply saying that 'Hope' and 'Will' are two different concepts, and that people were reading the first as the second. I interpreted the statement as saying that best case scenario was everything in hand would go out before the end of July, however it was not unlikely that things would carry over into the first week in August. As such getting annoyed about it until the end of this week would've been premature.

Yeah, it's funny how that works. When I read "Estimated delivery: September 2013" I also thought I could expect things to be delivered in (or at least close to) September 2013. Interpretation is such a fine art.

This is a completely different situation - in the case of the July 18/19 update (depending where you are in the world), we had evidence that the item was in hand and packaged for sending, as such it would be reasonable to assume that items would be shipped in the near future. When the Kickstarter finished in January 2013, it was reasonable to assume that it would be delivered sometime around September/October, if no other information was forthcoming. As the case was there were delays, some of which were advised to backers and some which were not.

I'm not giving Wyrd a free pass on this - I'm just as affected by the delays as anyone else - however I'm not getting worked up about it either. Wyrd did drop the ball on communication (which would've saved a lot of backer angst), and taking on more than they could handle, however at the end of the day this is a luxury item, and it is being delivered.

As I have said previously there are other companies on Kickstarter that are running just as late, and have been just as uncommunicative (many of which backers of this project have also backed), however it seems that Wyrd has been drawing much more vitriolic criticism than these other companies.

• Like 1