Lucius as Neverborn

zFiend

I like the option of 3 riflemen or guild guard with Lucius. But my favourites are Warden and Pathfinder. Just the ability sit on a strategy marker or nearby and cough up traps to hinder your opponent is priceless. Done it a lot with Squatters Rights and Recon.

D.

zFiend, on 27 Jun 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

You should try it, it was kinda terrible to watch :D Are you talking about Empty Night with the Dreamer? Sorry a bit off topic but I'm curious.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of - having the Child surprise folks by giving, say, Teddy a free move and attack... that could be quite nice. :)

I would probably only try it if I'm running a non-summoning Dreamer, since that makes giving up Daydreams a bit more viable.

So far I have played at least three games each with the 14 masters that I own ( neverborn, resser). I have found only one other master as fiddly to use a Lucius and that is Tara. Without a doubt I consider him the the hardest neverborn master to use. I have lost all three games I have used him, but he has potential. I have used minions and mimics with him, but I think a mature neph may be in order. What I have noticed is that his " what lackeys are for" can be used on any friendly model, might be a good way to move the big brute around?

Last Night I used Lucius in a turf war game,

Took Austringer, Lawyer, PAthfinder, Illuminated, Mature Nephlim and terror tot.

Lost the MAture Nephlim and lawyer very early due to TAngle shadows from enemy lileth and a Mature off, where I failed my terror test to flurry his Mature Nephlim.

What I think I learned, is that Lucius did really well in the middle using his walks and what Lackys are for to keep the Austringer and Pathfinder in the best place for them, and get plenty of extra attacks.

I think my largest learnign point was I'm used to trying to hold my master back to counter my iopponent, but I don't think thats what Lucius wants to do. His early actions in a  turn can get your minions in the right place to get the most out of their AP. Making the illuminated shoot and get the cloud of brilliance up means that it can charge in its own activation and get the bonus damage for example.

He is really crew dependent, and I think he needs soemthing scary to do his heavy hitting (at least in my style), but very enjoyable to play. Easily Got Protect territory just using thats what Lackies are for to get models either out of ml, or at least out of randomisation range. Wished I'd taken hidden sniper as a use for all the excess scheme markers I created, legalese didn't really do anything all game. And no (0) action always seems I'm wasting capability

• 2 weeks later...

so what would you suggest for a Neverborn only Lucius list as I don't own, nor plan to ever own any Guild models, but was thinking about picking up Lucius by himself (I already own all Neverborn models except Zoraida's box as I'm hoping the plastic one will be released at Gencon).

Candy, Tannen and a Beckoner would be my first picks for a neverborn only Lucius. 

I've given up on Graves with Lucius he's never pulled his weight for me, I have a similar opinion of the doppleganger but am sure I'm just not using her effectively, where as Graves just doesn't seem good enough at the job he's designed for.

So next you'll need object runners, more map control and maybe a beat stick.

One option I have considered is taking Lucius into the bayou to meet Zoraida using McTavish and Silurids.

My preference for Lucius will always be a masquerade ball crew, in this crew given the present lack of skinwalkers you might have to steel a few smoke and mirror tricks off of Collodi with wicked dolls and stitched together and the widow weaver may replace Candy or work with her.

I don't use illumindated, I hate the models and I don't think they are a good fit for Lucius' theme unless your working on some concept like the Bayou meeting above.

for compeditive games though most people seem to see them as go to minions, in the same way tots are scheme runners (again not my thing).