15min Video Battle Report: Kaeris vs McCabbe

mythicFOX

Just checked your report out. It's a really cool little format, it kept me entertained for 15 mins at work. I'd be keen to see another one at some point. It's impressive that you squeezed 3 hours into 15 mins of quick chat but it really gives a good impression of how the game went down. Do you plan to do any others or was this just a one of to gauge reactions?

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.  

The idea's partly stolen, someone discussed doing this live action at the Team GT, apologies I've forgotten their name. It occurred to me then it could be done on VASSAL and might be quite entertaining to watch that way. I originally had it down to ten minutes, but I couldn't quite talk fast enough to make that work.  ;)

I'm planning to do more if people like it there's demand for more.

I replied to your twitter post already but I'll just add again that as a relative beginner (who happens to have chosen Arcanists as his first faction ;) ) the explaining of your actions really helped be informative as well as entertaining. Thumbs up from me, and I definitely think you should do more!

Really interesting format; it shows how much thinking movement and mechanics (card flipping, wound marking etc) go into a Malifaux game that you can distill it down to only 15 min.  Your voice over was really smooth but I did find all the Vassal stuff (opening windows, sometimes leaving the dialogue box open and so on) a little distracting.  Of course, the real benefit is hearing a really top player explain their thought processes throughout the game.

Thanks all. :)

I agree about the menus, when I do another I'll be more careful about having things like scheme markers ready so I don't need to spend as much time in the menus.  I'll also aim to avoid some of the quicker map scrolls.

A question on my commentary. Is it in the right amount of depth?  Should I have a couple of 30 second pauses in to describe the really key moments? For example the entire game hinges on a couple of decisions at 5:10 into the video and, with hindsight, I wonder if a pause to examine the position at that point may be worth the loss of momentum?

A question on my commentary. Is it in the right amount of depth?  Should I have a couple of 30 second pauses in to describe the really key moments? For example the entire game hinges on a couple of decisions at 5:10 into the video and, with hindsight, I wonder if a pause to examine the position at that point may be worth the loss of momentum?

A short in depth break for those game changing moments would have been a nice addition. I do not think that you will loose too much momentum in such a short pause. With that said, I really enjoyed the format and the execution of it. Great work!

/// Tom

lol, I'll see what I can do. Just glad people are enjoying it.

While I see the sense in condensing things I have to say as a newbie at this pace it was quite hard to follow.  Very useful to have though. I'll have to watch it through again.

Thanks. Yes it's a trade-off between length and depth. I have to say I was concious this isn't a beginner friendly format. I'm hopping taking a few extra pauses to explain key moments will help with that.

Thanks for watching :)

Thanks all.  

@ Csonti - I plan to do a more detailed blog post when I've done a few more. Broadly I used some screen capture software, in my case Bandicam, to record a VASSAL game and the associated audio. I then drop it into a standard video editing package (windows movie maker) and speed it up. Then add the titles and commentary.

I like the format. 15mins is a good time. If I wanted a bit more time I would have just paused the video.

For the future, it might be interesting to get some comment from the opponent.

I can't get over how much you end up sounding like Ted Lowe the snooker commentator.

I don't know if I can express how much I enjoyed this video batrep. James thank you so much for a short and concise batrep.

I really liked the format used. Though the oy thing I found distracting was the subwindows opening to get scheme markers and the like.

Perhaps that is just me.

Over all I hope to encourage you to do more Malifaux Minute batreps!