Query about "The Guild's Judgement" contents.

Durham_red

Hi there,

I'm really new to the Malifaux world, although not to Wyrd Minis. 

I recently bought The Guild's Judgement box set (the model of the scales of justice is just awesome) and after assembly I spotted a few things that have sort of spoiled the excitement of this box.

1) The Scales of Justice figure looks really big for a 32mm model. it measures almost 40mm tall.

2) The Judge is also similarly massive, So much so that his feet don't even fit on the part of the base you would texture and almost don't even fit on the base altogether.

3) This is probably the most irritating to me. There are 3 Death Marshals in the box but one of them (the crouching down one) is about 20% larger in every way compared to the other two. Its not just that he is just a taller model but that every detail (his gun, hat, boots, coffin) are all 20% larger. even his trench coat is 20% thicker and all this causes the model to look really out of place to me. The Coffin and gun in particular can be seen that they have just been tooled the wrong size as the base model has been used on the other 2 Marshals (you can see the knicks and damage to the wooden planks on the coffin are the same just bigger)

I take it others have noticed this?

I was just wondering if Wyrd has resolved this issue at all? is it a problem with the original sculpts in Freeform or was it a mistake that happened while they were being tooled in China?

It may be me just overly critical but it has made me really wary of buying more of the new 2E Plastics since I have seen on here hat there was also problems of the same nature with others of the new kits. (The Giant Victoria issue was sorted out)

Cheers

DR

There are people on all sides of the fence on this one,

• Some say they are meant to be that way i.e. "People aren't all the same height"
  • Some say that these huge are mistakes that need to be corrected
  • Some don't really care as while some of the minis are a little big its not a massive issue.

I fall under #3 personally.  While I like to see some variety in the size of my minis to represent the variation in peoples height etc.  I do think that all of the scaling issues are mistakes that have not been caught onto in the QA process.  I put this down to Wyrd still being relatively new in the plastic mini game and learning as they go.  Eventually they will have learnt from all the mistakes so far and will have a rigid QA process locked down that will catch these issues earlier in the future.

I can understand that people are not always the same height but guns don't change in size if you are taller or shorter than the person next to you which is why I think this is a mistake.

if a model is 6 foot tall to the eyes on a 32mm miniature (one of the death marshals) the giant one (which is 20% bigger) would be 7 foot 2 inches. A natural variance in height is not this obvious in a 32mm scale. 

it's also happened with other models in the new plastic range.

I do agree with you Thejudge about it is probably down to the fact that Wyrd are new to the Plastics game and hopefully they are sorting it out going forward. 

I just wish that they would sort it out for the Death Marshalls like the did for the Giant Victoria

If it is intended then fair enough, it just means that I wont be buying another box of them then. if that is there reasoning for other such large miniatures then they have just lost a new customer before I even managed to get into Malifaux and explore its interesting back story.

I'd like to know there reasoning behind the large death marshal, background story for why its bigger etc. could you point me to the post where they said it's meant to be that size.

Thanks

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Pizza!

he's just a big lad, whats wrong with that, people aren't all 6ft tall some of them are bigger than that, some are smaller. it doesn't seem surprising to me that size is a hiring point for the guild marshals and with him they lucked out. i really like the variation in sizes between the models, none of them look overly big/small in comparison to the others.

they have said that the big lad in the death marshals was intended, they've also said that the giant ronin was not, and thats been fixed.

Yeah I have the new Death Marshal's as well. The one is way too big compared to the other two. I really don't care myself as that crouching one is one of the best miniatures I have laid my eyes upon. I think that the whole not everyone is the same size doesn't really add up here, as everything is way too big, not just the bloke, but like said I love the miniature so much I don't care about it's size (issue or not). 

I bought the Guilds Judgement and Sonia's box last week and I also noted the scaling issue with one of the Death Marshals.

I've just spent a bit of time with a pair of calipers and a ruler measuring the different models in those two sets and have come to the following conclusions regarding scales. First the Judge, Scales of Justice and Samael are all roughly the same size, they have similar proportions, head size, height and hand width with the models standing approx. 35mm to the top of the head. Secondly Lady Justice and Sonia are also similar sizes to each other although this is harder to measure, but they have similar leg lengths head and hand sizes to each other. Sonia also scales well with Samael (she's actually slightly taller but is wearing high heels and in a more erect pose). The Witchling Stalkers are all rather small which I presume is intentional so they, along with the purifying flame aren't much use in scaling the other models. Which brings us to the three Death Marshals.

The crouching Death Marshal is clearly at a different scale to the other two Marshals. However he actually appears to be at the same scale as Samael. His head is the same size as Samael, his hands the same width and his gun has the same barrel length. The other two death Marshals are both about 20% smaller in every dimension including their weaponry (which is why they are at a different scale and not just smaller builds). For me the biggest problem with the Death Marshals is actually the coffin sizes, all three are noticeably different sizes. The one belonging to the marshal with his hand on the coffin is too small, the one with the marshal standing on it is about right, size wise. The crouching Marshals coffin on the other hand is simply enormous, I haven't glued it to the model yet so I stood it up next to Sonia Criid and she only just comes up to the Coffins shoulder, which should illustrate just how out of scale it is.

I don't have any other sets to compare, so I don't know how the Ortega's or anyone else matches up scale wise. If anyone wants to measure some of the other figures I'd be interested to know how the entire new plastic range scales with each other.

• Like 1

Wyrd did state (Nathan I think) that the large death marshal was intentional back in the 20+ page "model scale issue thread" that was kicking around post-gen con. I still don't believe it, but it was certainly easier to give that explanation for a single model in a box vs. the truly hulking amazon ronin and gun vik.  The viktorias box couldn't (reasonably) go without being corrected, but I imagine it's extremely difficult to justify the cost all new sprues for replacements when it's just a single model in a crew box that's screwed up.

The entire new Ramos box is a pretty huge blunder as well, particularly with the Brass Arachnid.  A new player who I encouraged to try out the game made the mistake of getting that box and I've had to hang my head and shrug my shoulders every time the models come out. Thankfully, at least all the sculpts are pretty fantastic otherwise.

From a business perspective the whole thing kind of makes a lot of sense and it seems to me the delays in some releases (the kin, brewmaster maybe) could be attributed to Wyrd making certain that this kind of thing doesn't keep happening. (total conjecture)

Either way, of all the model scaling issues that have occurred with the M2E plastics, the large death marshal is kind of the least offensive ;)

The only reason I believe it is a mistake is becuase the pistol in the Large Death Marshalls hand has also scaled with the rest of the model.  I do remember reading fluff about a giant one eyed DM, maybe it is based on him in some way but I don't remember reading about him carrying a cannon instead of a pistol ;)

Mega Marshall has effectively been "A Wizard Did It"-awayed by Wyrd.  The model's good, no doubt, but he's too big (or the others too small, as apparently we can go both ways looking at some of the posts around).

Mine exist to serve Tara, however, so they're undead abominations and I don't really mind what size they are XD

Well, the coffin sizes can at least be excused by the RPG: In one of the books, it does state that every DM crafts his own coffin, and I would assume that anyone who is training to fight undead probably didn't spend a lot of time learning to be a good carpenter.