Bengt's painting

Bengt

Shikome. I felt that the metal pasty things felt oddly prudish considering the rest of the model so I did away with those. Scraped of the textures and added small pieces of plastic rod for nipples.

Shikome1_zpsrle9aw5u.jpg

Shikome2_zpscjorlqpa.jpg

References searches included "green parrot" and "geisha makeup". :P Though I went more like they are in the art rather than proper geisha makeup, apparently they do the white stuff down the chest as well. I did try to do the lips like geisha though, with just the thin strip on the lower lip.

• Like 3

Carrion Effigy. Since he is dressed like a plague doctor I decided to go with mostly black and white, saving the green for various details. I really like the thought of Zoraida plucking some feathers of a Shikome when she made him.

CarrionEffigy_zpsfsuejfer.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks darth tater.

---

Took a little break from painting to assemble more stuff. Those Large Arachnids are pretty sucky kits, especially the one with all its legs on the ground, large amount of plastic had to carved/filed away for the leg pieces to come even close to fitting inside the cephalothorax. And both of them had to have their legs bent to get close to what the renders show.

Anyway, The Drowned. Since they are random citizens thrown into the river I didn't go for any uniformity of their clothing. 

TheDrowned1_zpswf8mx9sn.jpg

TheDrowned2_zpsrfnabe56.jpg

TheDrowned3_zps1rj4rwc1.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks sigmar3 and yipyip. What makes me think Ramos is cartoony is the exaggerated facial features, the head I used instead has more normal features. I've never watched or read Full Metal Alchemist, but from looking at google I can see how the red coat and braid gives a certain similarity.

---

Malifaux Raptors. I based the paint scheme on the white tailed eagle, because they are awesome!

MalifauxRaptor1_zpsrwbsg1os.jpg

MalifauxRaptor2_zpsda70iote.jpg

MalifauxRaptor3_zpsmzcjibge.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Large Arachnids. The one with all its legs on the ground was a pretty poor fit, I had dig out quite a bit of plastic for the legs to fit in their so called slots. Getting the top of the body also took a bit. Then the legs required bending anyway to look anything like the render. Both of them required a bunch of filing/sawing/carving to get the saw blades to look decent.

The were also pretty tedious to paint (all those damn legs!), which made me procrastinate a great deal. :P I painted the toolkit in parallel so they took him with them.

LargeArachnid1_zpsjje1onsf.jpg

LargeArachnid2_zpshm20xv38.jpg

Mobile Toolkit

MobileToolkit_zps3vggs7pa.jpg

• Like 5

Philip and the Nanny. Monochrome felt like the thing for a Victorian nanny with pram. Obviously Molly would hook Philip up with a pink blanket though.

PhilipAndTheNanny_zpsyzoudcxv.jpg

Crooligans. These received a variety of schemes for the same reason as the Drowned. I couldn't help making them red, green, and blue :), though in a more subdued overall scheme than some of my other models.

Crooligan1_zpsg6pdpd6k.jpg

Crooligan2_zpsmawhtkks.jpg

Crooligan3_zpsspo4ccte.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Night Terrors. As I'm sure I've mentioned before I really don't like large stuff on my bases so I didn't use the ruins that come with them and mounted them on wires instead. They take quite a bit of space with their wings, especially the last one which is significantly larger than the others (go Wyrd Scale!).

NightTerror1a_zpscsdwi1ta.jpg

NightTerror1b_zpsymjorsqv.jpg

NightTerror2a_zpsjc1yfg5q.jpg

NightTerror2b_zpserfzsfw8.jpg

NightTerror3a_zpskds1fgkb.jpg

NightTerror3b_zpsrpwkvest.jpg

NightTerror4a_zpslcsxh54v.jpg

NightTerror4b_zpsj5w1am8v.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've painted up the Mindless Zombies I built from the TtB kits.

First one has her legs and feet turned inward and her torso tipped forward. The bullet wounds are drilled.

MindlessZombie1_zps7u4ser3c.jpg

The second has his head tilted to the side as if his neck was broken and one leg thrust forward in an awkward way. I think I did some adjusting to the arms as well to make him more huggy. No gore as his neck was just snapped.

MindlessZombie2_zpsu2vq4t20.jpg

I didn't change anything about the third one's pose, just chopped of most of his limbs Black Knight style. So watch out, he is about to bleed on you! He also has the most snazzy looking clothes so I painted him as he wore a nice suit before his little... accident.

MindlessZombie3_zpssfrj9a2u.jpg

On this one I changed the knees, ankles and tilted back the head a little. And added a knife in her back.

MindlessZombie4_zpsntloixsu.jpg

And finally, the really gory one. The intestines are made from plasticard rod. His back foot is turned sideways and his head severely tilted forward. His tongue is hanging out as well but it's hard to tell from this angle. I also drilled a hole in his forehead, I guess someone was kind enough to put him (temporarily) out of his misery.

MindlessZombie5_zpsskhsstby.jpg

• Like 3

On 05/11/2016 at 9:48 PM, Argentbadger said:

Fantastic work on the TtB kits to get extra Mindless Zombies; they look like they could be professional sculpts the way you've posed them.  And the painting is good too; I think you've really got the 'right' amount of gore going on.

Thanks.

I don't particular like the official ones so these are more replacements than extra. Though I guess I could paint up the one that's supposed to go on Nicodem's base (I just got his box) for a semi official one. :P While I don't doubt you can ge more in play if you put your mind to it, I think six should be plenty for most occasions.

• 2 months later...

I haven't been in a painting mood for while, I was perhaps a little burnt out. But now I've painted my Soulstone Miners. The base inserts they come with blended quite nicely into my regular Arcanist base design, so I didn't have to convert anything there, just shave the edges a bit. Paint scheme is my standard red and white M&SU, many drill bits are made from a pretty dark alloy so I went with dark grey for the heads.

SoulstoneMiner1_zps5yk3mr36.jpg

SoulstoneMiner2_zpsj0dbtzft.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ice Dancers. I started out from my Frozen Hearts scheme, with the skin and grey clothes, but replaced the greens and browns with the light blue from my Performers to tie in with the Showgirls. Doesn't hurt that those are all cold colours :). I went with some warmer hair colours though, especially the first one, to get a little contrast.

IceDancer1_zpsb59r3dvq.jpg

IceDancer2_zpsmnttxray.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

After quite a bit of procrastination I finished my Carrion Emissary. I went with crow coloration for the bird parts, while Hooded crows (the ones with light grey areas) are the most common here, the all black Carrion Crow seemed more fitting.

CarrionEmissary_zpsul6ee0rn.jpg

To save space in my case the wings are magnetised, and get little stands as their surface shape and the angle of the magnets doesn't let them sit very well on the flat tray without the guide pins.

CarrionEmissaryMagnets_zpshpztijvz.jpg

• Like 2