Bengt's painting

Bengt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments.

I've finished the Oxfordian Mages. Their 40 mm bases feels really gratuitous, only #2 (the woman) has any trouble what so ever fitting on a 30 mm base and even she fits a lot easier than a Brass Arachnid. :P

Floaty guy. He was a bit of pain to paint since he is hunching over so much. Hardly an option to paint him in pieces either since the cloak comes in two halves that holds his arms and stuff inside it and the gap along his back needs a lot of attention. 

OxfordianMage01_zpsbv1yji7k.jpg

The token woman. I left out the lose fire effect since I don't really like stuff like that. Her cloak is also a bit asymmetric, but it's not nearly as bad as #3 so I just trimmed one corner a little.

OxfordianMage02_zpsubj91klb.jpg

Firefists. O boy, his cloak is a joke, it's basically sculpted in perspective as you seem him in the art, straight at his face. It really baffles me that 3D sculptors think the 3D models will only be viewed from one angle... If you look at him from another angle, especially a high angle like you might get while playing the game, his cloak is tiny and very asymmetrical. It kind of reminds me on someone tying a kitchen towel around their neck as a mock super hero cloak.

OxfordianMage03_zpsnooboitg.jpg

I extended the cloak with plasticard and sprue shavings. Here are some WIP images, they are taken at different occasions so are a bit uneven.

OxfordianMage03CloakWIP_zpsfktq2q8w.jpg

And finally the crew box.

Troubleshooters_zpsvicmuuaj.jpg

Edit: I just realised that the woman is really begging to have her forward hand converted to give the finger...

• Like 6

Great work on them once again! Really like the whole crew. 

Edit: I just realised that the woman is really begging to have her forward hand converted to give the finger...

Also this reminded me of this:

blades-of-glory-flip-off-o.gif

Greatest flip off of all time. :D 

Ramos from The M&SU box. I don't like the original head, it's too cartoony for my taste. I used one from the TtB multi part kit instead, so now it's Dr. Victoria Ramos. The braid, which goes straight down the back in the kit, took some convincing to go over the shoulder, I think I broke it in four places. I also cut off some material from the left side of the coat, it was weirdly large, I guess perspective is hard. :P

Colour scheme is basically the same as the Arachnids I painted a while back. I think most, if not all, of my M&SU constructs will be prominently red and white, but we'll see.

Ramos_zpsgc9mwcwx.jpg

• Like 1

Firefists. O boy, his cloak is a joke, it's basically sculpted in perspective as you seem him in the art, straight at his face. It really baffles me that 3D sculptors think the 3D models will only be viewed from one angle... If you look at him from another angle, especially a high angle like you might get while playing the game, his cloak is tiny and very asymmetrical. It kind of reminds me on someone tying a kitchen towel around their neck as a mock super hero cloak.

Sadly, Wyrd sometimes has a bit of a problem translating the renders into sculpts. Just look at the horrendous job they did with the Watcher in Hoffman's crew box. It's just unfortunate that these problems aren't deemed "important enough" for Wyrd to fix them.

that would help, but it could use some depth too :)

Oh, I didn't realise that's what you meant. The coat is shaded, the red has photographed poorly in more ways than one.:( The base colour of the coat isn't as dark as it looks in the photo either, it's a bit more orange.

Joss. Not super fond of this model, much of the body is in one piece and there are some distortions to accommodate the mould. His stance is a little weird too, it kind of look like he is going to fall over backwards, I guess if his mechanical arm is really heavy... His construct bits got the red and white treatment, again the red in the photo doesn't look like it does on the model, sigh. I guess I need better lights, I use normal bulbs and adjust the colour in Gimp and most colours look like the model but not these orange/reds.

Joss_zpszj93vpif.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone's favourite cuddle bunny, Howard Langston! He is quite a bit work to paint will all his tentacles blocking free movement of the brush without blocking the view.

HowardLangston_zpsqyeyjfo9.jpg

Six more Steam Arachnids. I'll just do a group photo of them. None in this batch is magnetized, but I'm going to magnetize one swarm out of the final six I've bought, once I get round to building them.

SteamArachnids_zpsts29h3pc.jpg

• 2 months later...

At long last, the Brass Arachnid. As everyone probably knows, this models is quite bit too large for a 30 mm base, so I ended up cutting a couple of leg joints and regluing them tighter to get three legs onto to at least the base lip. I also cut some groves into the lip for its tiny little feet to get a strong bond. It's also a bit of a pain to paint since there a legs pointing all over the place obstructing brush movement.

BrassArachnid_zps7kzykfi6.jpg

And everyone together.

MampSU_zpsjbo3sifc.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kaeris. Not a fan of the whole boobplate thing, frankly you'd have to be an idiot to run around in a metal crop top. I considered just shaving of the rivets and stuff and paint it as leather or fabric, still a bit silly but at least it wouldn't be as uncomfortable. But... the character has armour mechanically and even +1 is a fair amount with granularity of Malifaux so in the end I decided to do a conversion and give the poor girl some proper armour.

Kaeris_zpsphwk0zxr.jpg

I cut away her boobs (which are really quite enormous when you take a closer look) and built up a standard smooth chestplate with a bit of a centre ridge. I used plastic for this as I find it easier to get the results I want with that as opposed to green stuff etc.

Kaeris_WIP_zpszepr1viu.jpg

Firestarter.

Firestarter_zpse4u6yrk0.jpg

As I think the standard Johan model is one of the most hideous models ever made I've made a Johan from the TtB multipart kit and the spare hammer from the Rail Crew box. As they have a rather boring stance with this odd little half step I had to cut off the legs a lot to get some movement into him. I also had to cut of his arms a lot to get him to hold the hammer above his head. The hammer is really too big for him but it is a magic hammer so whatever. :P

Johan_WIP_zpsl1opzzzu.jpg

• Like 2