Hoffman, what to buy

Yngair

Hi folks, Ive been steadily painting my way through the guild masters and have got 4 painted and McCabe WIP.

so the next master on my hit list is Hoffman. It took me a while to warm up to hoffman and the guild cunstructs in general, but now I rather like and i have finally come up with a paint scheme for the brass yellow armour plates etc.

The only thing is I dont know what to get for Hoffman, I will probably be getting 2 of all of the guild constructs and i already have Ryle, but I also want some of the M&SU constructs for his infiltration upgrade. So my question is what M&SU stuff should I get, and are there any of the guild constructs i may want more than 2 of.

Thanks for reading

To be honest I cannot think of any Guild Construct that you might need more than 2 of, and you will only need one Peacekeeper as it is a Rare 1 model.  Generally I don't think many take more than 1 type of any guild Construct save for Watchers *as a pair with Modifications can be great scheme runners* though I often take two Wardens with McCabe.

As for M&SU constructs it depends on your tastes.  The Rail Golem, Langston, and Joss are all matters of taste per say as they generally take the spot of your Peacekeeper unless you are going for a dual heavy list.  Each of the four have their own advantages and disadvantages when compared to each other.  Some of course will be better for certain schemes or strategies then the next but it can also be a matter of taste.  For other constructs to look at for Infilitration I would take a look at Metal Gamin and the Mobile Toolkit.  The Gamin are sturdy 4ss models that could be useful for a couple tasks and the Mobile Toolkit is able to give your constructs a nice bonus till end of turn.  Combining the armor bonus and the Modification upgrade for armor and you can get Armor +4 on some of your constructs.  Also with a base Armor +2 the toolkit is not bad at hanging around Hoffman so he can use its armor value with his defensive trigger.

I can't stress enough how immense a Metal Gamin is in Hoff's crew. If you give him Power Loop Hoff can use his Ca 8 and gain +2 from 2 other Constructs within his aura. He then becomes Ca 10! To top this off the Gamin also has Armour +2 which is useful for the Protection trigger. Hoffman at Ca 10 makes his life so much easier, it means pretty much every card in your hand is useful for Hoffman, some of his abilities can even be cast if a Black Joker is flipped. At 4ss for the Gamin and the cost of the upgrade which has a pretty sick (0) on it is incredible!  I'm probably going to take a Metal Gamin with him every time. 

I kind of agree with EternalVoid. I've gone with 1 of every Guild construct except Watchers where I have 2 (insane objective runners with the Programmed Directive and Hydraulics mods) and I've got one Warden but will probably get another because with Targeting Systems when going against an enemy that has already activated they can gain auto-paralyze on their Restraint Claw. That's just crazy with Hoff but they also work real well with McCabe and I suspect Lucius as well. 

The Watcher is cheap for a significant model with Flight, and while not something I would take two of all the time, I think they are viable as a two-pack in higher stone games where one is up high being a lighthouse to deny cover to targets while the other is being an objective grabber, with the possibility of them swapping roles or doubling down the same function if need be.

But I would otherwise agree that the Guild constructs are pretty pricey to take more than one, even when you can, and would normally be suboptimal.

I'm sure every Hoff player has a different crew start point right now. My Hoff crew starts with a pair of Watchers, a Guardian, and a beat stick. That beat stick is either Joss or Ryle. I like the Guardian to be Hoff's ride and Power Loop target and the Guardian gives Hoff Protect to let him move up a bit to support his crew better. After that I add what I think will help get me VPs.

I tend to also have a core crew. I take the Guardian like yourself for the same reasons, a metal Gamin to add Ca 8 to the loop and having both the Guardian and Gamin nearby gives the +2 Ca from Empower. Then I take at least 1 Watcher and a beat stick which is usually Ryle but I picked up the Rail Golem recently so he's looking like a real nice choice. I love the idea of a Ml 7 & Armour +3 Rail Golem. Wardens are also a nice choice with Targetting Systems, as is Ryle. 

Is there anyway of getting higher than a Sh 6 in the loop? I've been looking and the highest I can find is the Watchers with their Sky Eye. Have I missed anything that can increase the Sh further?

I know this sounds like a broken record, but it sorta depends on the strats/schemes. 

If we're doing turf war, I'm gonna bring a guardian, a peacekeeper, and some scheme benefit stuff. For instance, watchers if it's deliver the message or anything like that.

If we're going a more killy route, like reckoning with murder protege or assassinate, I'd probably see fit to bring in a Howard Langston and a Sidir. (Because nimble howard with  :+fate to attack and WP duel is... good.)

I'm starting to get to the point where full construct crews aren't the ultimate for me- I bring enough to take advantage of Hoffman's strengths. Watchers are a mainstay if there's anything about movement or interacts, Arcanists for some of the more kill oriented stuff, the family if I'm fully committed to Hoffman and reckoning comes up. Or maybe even a squadron of guild guards if I'm hoffman committed and Reconnoiter pops up. You don't need 8 constructs to make a hoffman crew work- 3-4 strong choices can get his motor running (see what I did there?) without pigeonholing yourself into a very select crew pool.

ENinja

My crew pool as it stands is rather reasonable in size, and hoffman and the guild constructs are probably the last major addition to my crew pool, after that its buying a few  second wave guild models, infiltrators for lucius and hoffman, and then waiting for wave one plastics to come out. But mainly I need to figure out in what order im going to get stuff and in what numbers. I think I have a pretty good idea of what to pick up for hoffman now, cheers guys.