models for through the breach

wadesauce

Hello everyone, I was wondering what models you would consider essential for a TTB game. As in enemies, npcs, and bystanders. Also curious to see how many of you plan to use models extensively and/or the malifaux combat mechanics in TTB?

When you say models, do you mean actual miniatures or just stat cards/ideas?

If it's physical miniatures, then none are essential, really - the system doesn't use them, though of course it leaves space to do so for those that want to.

In terms or making a physical combat encounter, I really don't know. Probably a handful of NPCs, a few bigger opponents, a small swarm of weaker ones, and enough terrain for at least a malifaux game, if not more (because using the environment is the best way to control the party's damage output).

I expect to vary it widely each session depending on who's doing what, what the enemy is, who else is about, and so on. There's too much variation for me to want to try and deal with models for it all!

That, and Skype sessions make it even harder to use physical stuff ;)

Yea, I can see Skype being difficult. Lol. I am trying to piece together a decent collection of physical models to help represent real space in combat. My group is a pretty tactics oriented one, and I feel that they would get the most out of combat in this way. This of course could make encounters drag out a bit, so I'll have to quicken the process by having pre designed encounters.

As to my original question, what physical models do you think would make good staples of the game? Do you think using the malifaux rules for combat would be a detriment to the TTB system, or do you think either would be fine?

If you're going with physical Malifaux models, you'd probably want to look at Guild Guard, some zombies of one stripe or another, maybe some Union Miners, a handful of Bayou Gremlins, and a smattering of "outlaw" or "cowboy" models like Death Marshalls, Sue, Convict Gunslinger, etc. 

This covers your low-level opposition from just about everyone but NB and 10T, and should let you ad lib most situations fairly well.

I wouldn't use the malifaux rules, but that's because I like the more freeform thing TtB has about it. But in theory, they're compatible enough that you could do it.

I'd say the groups you're likely to see are an enforcer or henchman with a few minions, so:

In the city it would be a sergeant and a few guards (maybe no sergeant if its just a patrol they ambush), some hounds for extra fun perhaps.

Slums would be more like wastrels, desperate mercs and possibly convict gunslingers.

QZ, you'll probably see mindless zombies, some punks, canine remains, maybe even bigger undead.

If you're under investigation by one of the special branches, probably a handler and stalkers, or a bunch of death marshals.

Wander out to the swamps and probably a swarm of bayou gremlins, maybe a hog whisperer and some pigs.

The forests, mostly young nephilim with a few tots, a mature if you want more of a threat. Maybe a waldgeist or two. Or beasts, if they've gone into Marcus' territory

After that it depends who they end up annoying; December, Von Schill, and the like will all come with their own set of likely minions.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas (and isn't just a massive shopping list!)

Not advertising, but, if you end up needing NPC's for a more unique session beyond what Wyrd has as a list

Cipher Studios has it's Hell Dorado and Anima Tactics line

Spartan Games has Dystopian Legions

Reaper Miniatures has various lines

Privateer Press has Warmachine and Hordes

Megacon Games has Mercs

and last, Soda Pop Miniatures has Relic Knights

All these are the companies I know of that supports the same 30mm base style as Malifaux. when I was playing the Iron Kingdoms Role-Playing game with a friend, he used Freikorp Soldiers to represent a mercenary company, with Von Schills as the commander, which I found amusing. It also stopped our lore-lawyer player from knowing right off the bat what type of enemy we were dealing with because the models weren't anything from that universe but fit the style.

It also helps you flesh out NPC's and PC's so not every necromancer looks like Seamus or the local arcanist villian looks like Ramos. I've been using the Hell Dorado, and Privateer Press models to play out NPC's... still a Terror Tot alt model is an impossibly hard gem to find.

Just a few pennies, for ya.