Vaiuri Paints Malifaux

Vaiuri

As a solution for a stiff neck, i have been painting in my recliner chair next to an open window. As long as you have the mini attached to a prescription med bottle or something similar, you can sit back and relax and anchor your wrist on the side of it.  I use a tall, 10" plastic cup and hobby tack to secure the mini. I use a wet pallet and sit that on my lap. It's been a ton better on my back and neck for this reason.  Having the wet pallet really saved me from having to constantly put out new paint.

I'm new here so I'm trying to make my rounds in everyone's painting threads before I start up my own.

Thanks for the advice Spectre :)

I'm taking a bit of a break from the Guild while my neck gets better; right now I'm busy preparing some bases for a crazy side-project.  Still Malifaux related, but a crew I've had my eye on for a while - Marcus!  I'm doing a bit of research into how I want his beasts to look - these models are coming from all over the place, so I'm torn between doing a cohesive colour scheme or just painting each as an individual.

Some of my current thoughts:

Beautiful, wild beast?

Or semi-tame fuzzy?

Its more the colours I'm pondering over.  Black can be so hard to paint, although I could push myself to try leopard spots or tiger-stripes...  The silver tabby is really tempting for the Cerberus, plus, I have a model willing to pose for me!

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

My suggestion would be to research tigers in the type of area from which you think you want that beast to come. Tundra? Look at some slow tiger (or leopard) photos (they really have some amazing markings and coloration!!) Or if you're more in tune with jungle-theming, look at Indian or African leopards and tigers, maybe even some panthers (like you have above) or South American jaguars. Or even North American mountain lions and pumas, from the piney mountain regions. LOTS of styles to choose from!

Art imitates life! ...or is it the other way around...? ;)

Perhaps I should buy serveral kitties so I can have one of each type:-) typically its lashing down with rain so any undercoat will have to wait for a while - not a bad thing as it will stop me rushing into painting these lovely models!

Snakes to think about too...

First off, the bases for Marcus and his crew:

I wanted them to look like he was out in the Badlands, there's been no rain here for a long time and life has just shrivelled up and died.  Here and there you get clumps of hardy grass, surviving in the shelter of rocks and dead trees, drinking in the dew that forms overnight.

I'm not too happy with the base I made for Marcus, it's the one with the long thin stump to one side (bottom pic) - the trouble with it is he doesn't actually fit on it vey well!  I wanted to have spread of living green emerging from the earth around his feet, and the tree stump springing out a couple of leaves, as though Marcus' very presence is invigorating to the land around him, but now I'm not so sure!  I might make a couple more 30mm bases up and see what works best.

And I finally made some progress on the Witchlings:

These guys are really starting to come together a bit more now, I have some more highlighting to do on their clothes and then sort out the goggles and OSL for the swords, but I'm feeling a lot more positive about them! :)

One last WIP... Suspicious Sidir is suspicious...

• Like 1

I think you have made a real nice job on the bases, they reminded me of Borderlands instantly before even reading your goal of the Badlands. 

Your Witchling's are great as well. I really dig the brown cloaks on them and the swords. 

Can't wait to see how Sidir turns up. 

I'm just thrilled to be painting again! Having a couple of different models going on at different stages seems to be working ok too. If I'm in the mood for a bit of detail or just throwing base coats and washes around, I've always got something ready! I just need to be sure that I finish things!

I think the goal this week is to finish the Witchlings, although there are plenty of other models vying for my attention!

So I've pretty much finished the Witchlings tonight, only their goggles I'm not too thrilled with,  but I'm coming up a blank as to what to do about it!  To make myself feel better I tarted up the bases and had a little play with a yellow glaze for some OSL from the swords. Bit of a mixed bag, I still have a lot to learn,  but it was fun to try it!

Here's a sneak peek,  more pics tomorrow:

• Like 2

Ok, I went for blue on the lenses and tried some more photos. Now I can see the dark blue still in some of the recesses! Not a happy bunny :-( I'm painting like a gorilla with a crayon this evening,  so the corrections will have to wait until tomorrow.

I tried a yellow glaze as you suggested, it looked a bit green here and there so I added a spot if red to give a more tangerine colour and layered that on too. I was afraid of overdoing it - its pretty subtle at the moment, do you think I should add more?

Subtle is good with OSL. I'd say all you might want to think about adding is a very faint bit of reddish orange at the furthest areas of it, so the glow looks like it fades off a bit. Otherwise, it's all up to you how intense you make it.

Took the Witchling Stalkers for a spin this evening, they milled around, dropped a scheme marker or two, defended their turf then blew up as Pandora made them sad. Pretty uneventful, but at least they looked good doing it! Its spurred me on to paint more of the guild models, a fully painted crew is a thing of beauty!