Vaiuri Paints Malifaux

Vaiuri

Since I have nothing new to show, I thought I'd put some individual photos up of Mei Feng and the High (Low) River Monk from the painting comp.

The first one is the Monk before painting, his staff/grapple was actually quite easy to make, but did require some very precice drilling!  I used more clock pieces to help tie him into the Dragon.  I had a whole back-story written up for who the Monk is, and his connection to the Dragon - while in the game they are a High River Monk and a Rail Golem, in my head they are a Scrap Wrangler and Scrapscale Dragon :D

Anyway, enough of my prattle, the pictures!

The crew picture doesn't quite show off how much work went into the Scrap Wrangler, I really enjoyed painting him, and was particularly pleased with his cloak and the lenses of his goggles.  He also now has a ponytail, which you can't see in the group shot!

And here is a few different shots of Mei Feng, apologies for the wierd positioning in some of these, they were taken a bit quickly before the light went!

And finally a bit more of a closer shot, hopwfully showing off her face a bit more.  Earlier in this thread I pointed out that I wasn't good at eyes and it's something that I've made a real effort to change! 

I'm so proud of the way this crew turned out, particularly since it challenged me to do things outside of my comfort zone and has given me the confidence to try other things - stay tuned for more adventures with Clyde and his pal Green Stuff!

• Like 2

The bases are resin ones from Micro Art Studios. They have a huge selection of different types. This is from the Arcane Ruins range.

The spear was a quick and simple rusty iron - P3 Pig Iron base, light drybrush with Citadel Technical Ryza Rust, line highlights with Citadel Mithril Silver, then a wash with Army Painter Strong Tone. I tried Soft Tone first, but it made the rust effect way too orange, so I went for the dark wash instead.

I still have a bit of work to do to finish this guy off - he's a test piece before I carry on with the rest of the crew, but his owner gave the thumbs up last night, so full steam ahead!

Your work never ceases to amaze me, Vaiuri...

Honestly... I saw the Clockwork Dragon in its finished state before I saw the WIP photos, and I didn't realize he was painted!! He looked too incredibly realistically metallic in the paint job that I thought you just glued him together, and that was that! And 10/10 in the creativity department and construction department. I certainly would have voted him, too!! Absolutely brilliant!

The Monk is VERY cool, too!! I am really loving the Steampunk theme you have going on lately. I have never been so brave as to try heavy conversions, as even my minor putty work to correct casting errors is a bit sub-par. But I am utterly in awe of what you do.

Bravo!

• Like 1

<blush>

Thanks for the lovely comments monkeyboy! Conversions has always been a 'thing' for me, but until recently I haven't felt the need to do anything with the Malifaux range. The Monks are lovely figures, and I plan to use the other two just as they are (except the one who lost a hand to the Witchling Handler and now has Vanessa's hand!). I always worry that I'm going to make a mess of things, particularly if I'm in a hurry to see it finished! But the Scrap Wrangler turned out just as I imagined him, a nice friend for the Dragon!

I am itching to make more clockwork creatures now though!

That Ashigaru looks good. I actually just finished painting up my three for Yan Lo. I gotta get some new pics up. Jeez.

I'm kind of at a stumbling block, maybe you can help me with what your practice is in this regards.

I have painted the Yan Lo crew with a cool turquoise and pale cream.  Now, I just picked up the Kirai box set and Bete Noire. I can't decide if I should stick with the same colors as I don't really know if these crews even work well together.  Do you tend to paint your crews the same themes for what you plan to play with each other?  I haven't really played the game yet so I don't know.  For example, would the Onryo work well with Yan Lo, etc.

I was trying to think a head a little by incorporating orange as my spot color on Yan Lo. (and since orange is complementary to blue). When I start painting Ten Thunders, I'll plan to stick with the Orange robes and spot those with blue so If I use Yan Lo as Ten Thunders, they will still match somewhat.

What is your strategy for situations like this?

I tend to use a limited colour palette anyway to be honest,so the things I do have painted generally look ok together. The thing that can really tie models together from different crews I think is bases. If your Resser bases are all along the same theme they will look much more cohesive.

I'm afraid I can't speculate on what will work well together Resser-wise, these Ashigaru actually belong to my other half, I'm just painting a crew up for his birthday :-)

For different kinds of models I would paint their parts in the same way - so, for example, spirit energy or ethereal creatures I might base with your cool blue, blending to a white or green. Bone I always paint the same way, so that easily ties boney models from different crews together. The same can be said for undead skin.

It's not hard to get things looking cohesive, but don't forget that Malifaux is a skirmish game and all the members of your crew are individuals, so it's ok for them to look different from one another. I'd like to see your Yan Lo crew, might give me some ideas myself! How did you paint the 'waves' around Chiaki?

@monkeyboy Lol, yes, the lighting isn't the best is it! It was the best I could do this morning :-D

Still working out what to paint on the banners. Bases will get some attention once more crew members join these two :-)

Their hair needs a little highlight too I've noticed and I shall probably neaten up the skulls when the right mood strikes me! For now, still feeling my way with the colour scheme. The red is painful to do, but I've tried taking shortcuts and it comes out very dull. Just got to man up and deal with it!

The plan is to paint a whole Yan Lo crew this way:

Yan Lo

Chiaki

Soul Porter

Izamu

Yin (could be difficult, she is just guts!)

Toshiro

3 Ashigaru

I've promiced the owner a tenth model, but he can't decide what would fit, and that's enough of a list to keep me out of trouble for a while :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apologies for dropping off the face of Malifaux... I've been gripped by this:

Occasionally I slip back into bad habits, rest assured I'm sure I'll get it out of my system sooner or later, but I have enjoyed playing around with pearescent tinting with the wings - it gives me ideas for Nightmares :D

• 8 months later...

Wow!  It's been a while since I've posted in here, but some building has been going on the last couple of weeks and I'm starting to play 10T - so keep an eye out for updates!  Mei Feng is looking for some clockwork friends....