What to do against Kaeris/Burning in General?

brdparker

Now, I play both sides of this, Arcanists and Ressers. Been getting a buddy of mine into the game, and he's been using my Nico crew while I've tried out some I haven't had the chance to field in M2E. Since he's still learning the game as well as the crew, it's to be expected that I would defeat him most times, but I like to give him advice about what he could have taken for certain schemes/strats, etc.

The matchup was Nico v Kaeris (I said I wanted to try her out) with Reckoning strat. Right off the bat, he was at a disadvantage because he only know the summoning game with Nico, which made it a piece of cake for me.

However, I'm having some difficulty figuring out general resser tactics versus Kaeris and any sort of burning silliness. It bypasses HtW (Resser's huge advantage over other factions), and the actions that give it out smoothly slip by most undeads' low Df. Bete's Teneberous Aura, Crooked Mens' Bulletproof, and Incorporeal don't work against Kaeris's Ca shooting, and I'm seeing a very limited amount of condition removal in the faction. Combine that with being generally slow... what do you think when you see Kaeris/Firestarter hit the table?

Also, I'm not looking for "play to objectives," as that's the game. I appreciate the advice, but I'm looking for the next level after. :) Best thing I can think of is focus on the burning things, and accept your wounds. Paralysis is significant as well. Any other thoughts?

Chiaki is golden at removing conditions for rezzers, plus she can give a bit of healing as well!

Otherwise make Kaeris pay for getting in position to shoot stuff. Nurses can paralyze you back and no one likes Hanged!

There's also enough accomplice that rezzers can use to combo hit her too.

Also with Reckoning, rather that go for numbers, use the corpse counters to bring stuff in at higher wounds. HtK and keeping within Nicos + auras should help a bit too.

Hope this helps! I'm far from a Nico expert...

Remember that things that die from conditions will not count as a kill for either crew. So burning isn't that much of a problem really

Although the Firestarter somewhat negates that, as they will count as being killed by him/her.

Taken from Page 1 of the FAQ

Q: If a model is killed by a Condition, which Crew counts as having made the kill?
A: No model or Crew counts as having made the kill.

As mentioned above the Firestarter's ability I Did It! means if a target dies from Burning within 6" of him he counts as having made the kill so it's not all doom and gloom.

The Firestarter's definitely one to look out for when killing schemes are available. But that aura is only 6", so downing him is probably a big objective, as Kaeris' crew doesn't have much active, credited damage. Sometime I'll have to keep in mind while playing her, and that brings up what is perhaps her biggest weakness. That said, the ressers have the counter button for this: Lure the bugger in (only Wp 5 and flight), and then slaughter, simple as that.

As for the (1) Ap to remove a burning... I'm saddened to say I forgot this until probably turn five of the game, and then I instantly told my opponent. Totally my fault that he didn't know since he was a new player. That said, he had the idea to just summon a bunch of Mindless Zombies into BC with burning models and use the myriad of activations to get rid of the burning. Might be interesting, and makes them even more annoying, so long as they aren't engaged.

Condition removal can be very helpful when playing against Kaeris, but also one thing to remember is she has the built in trigger "Engulf" off of Flaming Halo which is after applying the burning condition from the spell, Deal damage to the target equal to the value of the burning condition on them, then remove the condition.

So it is something to keep in mind if you are planning on holding off using someone to remove the burning from a model until later in the turn that if Kaeris hasn't gone, that burning is capable of hurting now.  This would also count as a kill for the crew.

Kaeris' totem the Eternal Flame also has a 10" range spell that causes the target to immediately resolve the burning condition at a CA 6.  This however specifically states "As if it were the end of the turn" so even though it is resolved via a models ability, I do not think this would count as a kill for the crew.

That said, he had the idea to just summon a bunch of Mindless Zombies into BC with burning models and use the myriad of activations to get rid of the burning. Might be interesting, and makes them even more annoying, so long as they aren't engaged.

If memory serves, you do (1) Interacts to decrease Burning by 1. This means two things: You can decrease Burning on enemy models (might be useful against the likes of Sonnia), and Mindless Zombies can't do it.

• Like 1

Also, MZ's is not a good choice to use during Reckoning, as they count for the strat for your opponent when he kills them. Burning shouldn't be a problem for Nico, unless the burning is on him. Nico's model's dying just provide more corpse markers.

Summoning Hanged, or PZ's. Both of those should be able to do well in Reckoning when played correctly.