Future of TtB

mrhobbitino

I've gone the reverse of Mako, started out GMing and now I'm a player in his campaign, and I just want to give a hearty amen to his comment. The game is excellent on both sides of the board.

I can't wait to wrap up my story and pass the torch. See the other side of the coin.

Well, I do have some problems with layout, and magic, now that I've had a chance to read through the books. Mostly, it comes down to this: information organization leads a lot to be desired. The books have so much fluff mixed in everywhere that at times it can be hard to figure things out, and the gear section really ought to have all the charts moved to the back or front, since 3 pages of information on the history of revolvers isn't really helpful when you are looking at which revolver to use your gunfighter pursuit on.

Also, many of the skills you can take at startup require items that have no members below the starting script price. I'm not saying there should be good items, but would it have been so bad to provide stats for an 8 Script whip, for instance, for those who took ranks in flexible weaponry?

I hope that future releases learn from this, because the information is good, just not really organized to get you to the game. I think a few more items/stats would have helped by reducing DM decision load(the main issue I usually have with being DM) but the information is good, and I suspect that  the splatbooks will help to clear up some of the issues. I would guess that, if this succeeds well enough that a second edition is ever created, a lot of stuff from the splatbooks will be incorporated into the core book, since at current, it feels like it is missing a large bit of the information which should be coming in them.

• Like 4

Gonna respond to a few points here:

-- Comparing the Kickstarter comment thread to YouTube comments is hyperbolic at best. Yes, there is unnecessary venom, but most folks there are simply frustrated with a lack of communication over the delays. I can understand why the idea of frequent updates of "no news" would seem pointless, but to many Kickstarter backers, it's viewed as a sign that the company is interested in maintaining a solid and positive relationship with the backers. I've backed at least two KS projects where regular (if infrequent, once a month on average) updates were welcome news, even if the news was simply "Hey, the final ship date is getting pushed back again because I'm a stickler for quality." So yes, backers do prefer to hear "we'll tell you once we know something" as opposed to total radio silence.

-- As for my own disappointment regarding the delays, it's really all a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are a zillion good reasons why we haven't seen any solid information regarding anything other than the final book proofs recently, but one of the things that got me to back the project in the first place were the models that came along with the books. All we've seen of those since last year's concept art is a handful of painted Hannahs. Meanwhile, M2E's plastic models are churning steadily along, with more models coming out monthly. From a backer's perspective, it would appear that the Kickstarter fulfillment got put on the back burner while M2E's beta testing and manufacturing took top priority... whether or not this is actually true is irrelevant to the fact that such appearances have colored my perception of both the RPG and the skirmish game.

-- I haven't hung up my Malifaux hat quite yet, but I haven't had a good reason to play in quite some time. I'm hoping that Wyrd can manage to turn around my perceptions, but the lack of communication hasn't helped. I'll hang onto my PDFs and multi-pose minis, but I'll probably sell the rest locally when I get the chance. I'm trying to focus on playing one crew (still haven't painted the rest of my Showgirls crew) because trying to diversify has gotten too expensive and I have a family to support. I think I'm starting to prefer board games that have minis as opposed to minis games. None of that is Wyrd's fault, I'm just starting to see the appeal in a play-straight-out-of-the-box model.

So yes, while there's quite a bit of hyperbole ("Wyrd screwed over the backers", "Entitled instant gratification whiners", etc) going around on all sides, it all seems to stem from impatience building into frustration, rather than any sort of ill will. That's my take, anyway.

Well if anyone wants to see how the game is played.  (And yes it is a huge amount of fun.)  I will be at GenCon this year and have no problem doing personal demos for people if they want them.  Just hit me up with a PM and I can work some stuff out.

A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.