For Wyrd staff regarding "skeeters" in Somer's box

Abbazabba1920

Can anyone confirm if plastic Skeeters are going to be available separate, or would I be dependent on a 2nd box of Somer's crew to increase my skeeters. I was under the impression that the addition of another skeeter in the box set was to prevent the necessity of a separate box, but I was hoping to get the info straight from the horses mouth, so to speak, instead of by means of hearsay.   :)

It's a fair question - you don't have to buy more Marcus boxes to get additional Razorspine Rattlers or Sabertooths.

I guess the first thing to check (short of a horse's mouth answer) would be - are the 'skeeters a separate sprue, or on the sprue with something else?  If it's a shared sprue, they're pretty much locked in as part of the set only.  If they're a separate sprue, there's a chance.

This question has been asked alot. Here is what I remember as the gust of the official responses, and from my own experiences buying some if the new plastics.

The master, totem(s), and 1 specific model (joss, myranda, sybelle, Sebastian, the ice golem) are currently only available in the starter packs. There is currently no plans at all to release them seperately. However, many of those models are indeed on separate sprues, my madam sybelle, the CCK, and Seamus were all on their own individual sprue. So wyrd has made certain that should they change their mind in the future on this policy they can do so.

That does not change the fact that at present there are no plans at all to release them separately. If you want the master, henchman/enforcer, or the totem(s), the boxed set or trying to buy it on the bits market are your options..

The big difference with this particular crew box only model is that it is entirely possible to have more than the supplied 2 on the table. Once the metal ones are gone there wont be an "official" option to cover this situation unless they are available separately.

This question has been asked alot. Here is what I remember as the gust of the official responses, and from my own experiences buying some if the new plastics.

The master, totem(s), and 1 specific model (joss, myranda, sybelle, Sebastian, the ice golem) are currently only available in the starter packs. There is currently no plans at all to release them seperately. However, many of those models are indeed on separate sprues, my madam sybelle, the CCK, and Seamus were all on their own individual sprue. So wyrd has made certain that should they change their mind in the future on this policy they can do so.

That does not change the fact that at present there are no plans at all to release them separately. If you want the master, henchman/enforcer, or the totem(s), the boxed set or trying to buy it on the bits market are your options..

But Skeeters are, to date, the only released totem that you can have multiples of, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from how things have been before.
  • Like 1

Can't you have multiple Young Lacroix' as well?

Yeah, but that boxed set hasn't been released yet (talking about the plastic releases here, since metal ones did have all the models available as individual). Also, Youngs are capped at three while Skeeters work a bit differently in that they can summon new ones from killing models.

Edit: well, OK, I'm not sure whether Somer counts as 'released' currently, since I don't think he is quite available yet :)

Yeah, but that boxed set hasn't been released yet (talking about the plastic releases here, since metal ones did have all the models available as individual). Also, Youngs are capped at three while Skeeters work a bit differently in that they can summon new ones from killing models.

Edit: well, OK, I'm not sure whether Somer counts as 'released' currently, since I don't think he is quite available yet :)

Ah, correct.

I don't blame people for wanting more than two Skeeters on hand, but how likely is it that you'll ever have 3 or more on the table? 

To summon one you need to kill a model with a 0/1/2 attack while having a crow to trigger Larva. And if all that happens, you'll only need the third one if one of your Skeeters hasn't already died that turn (not unlikely, given the wound count). I'll admit I've not played So'mer a tonne (maybe half a dozen games?), but I've never come close to reaching that scenario. 

So basically I guess what I'm saying, is that I see not having that third skeeter as an acceptable risk. 

Summoning Skeeters is fairly easy Rathnard, so it is fairly likely that you'll have more than two on the table if you want them. Sure it takes a trigger to do but Som'er or another skeeter can easily provide that required suit via Do It Like Dis!. The second requirement of reducing a defending model to 0 wounds isn't that difficult when you have so many of your friendly "free" summoned Bayou Gremlin's floating around at 2 wounds already. Include the Encouragement upgrade and you have an easy and repeatable method of reducing the Bayou Gremlins that last wound without risking accidentally killing them to make it even easier to summon Skeeters. If you include cheating down defense on the C.T.D. Bayou Gremlin it shouldn't be to difficult to pump out a swarm in a turn or two.

Though the Skeeters are a SS less in cost they can easily offset the negative return by contributing to out activation, engaging enemy models and preventing Interact actions until removed, being more than a bit of a pain to get rid of and feeding off the free summoned models that the Gremlin faction is so capable of pumping out turn after turn.

Edit: Do it like Dis! can not provide the required suit for the Skeeter to auto-trigger since they are neither Gremlin nor Pig however if the Bayou Gremlin is killed with in 6" of Som'er and his Survival of the Fittest you will draw 2 control cards which could provide more :crows suit to keep this going.

The new skeeters look much better than the original, which I just couldn't stand.  I took a little green stuff and some brass wire and in about a half hour had some respectable proxies...good enough for tokens, anyway

Yeah, I couldn't stand the originals either and ordered some alternate sculpts from Heresy Miniatures.  I like the look of the new skeeter showed in the 3D rendering, though I don't care for the one shown in the artwork that is attacking the person.  I just tend to prefer less "actiony" models I guess.

I'll be getting the new starter in any case.  I don't really need another Lenny or more Skeeters or another Somer sculpt...but I can definitely use more BGs and if it gets me nice alt sculpts for Somer and a Skeeter or two, all the better.

This is pretty much it.

I believe there will be two skeeters in the box and they will not be sold separately.

While it is theoretically possible to end up with 3 skeeters, it means you killed a model with an attack that has 0 weak damage, got the trigger, took both skeeters, and hadn't lost one yet that game (because if one dies, you can just use that model). That's...very unlikely, and not worth including a third and driving up the price of the box or releasing a SKU retailers will never be able to move. Plus I'm sure the metal ones will be floating around for quite a while. :)