Pale Rider

TJUK

Hey guys,

Does anyone have much experience with the Pale Rider? I find the 'death' motif pretty appealing and I'm sure if he lasts to the last few turns he's incredibly powerful and resilient, but with just a DF of 5 he seems like he could be pretty squishy in the early game. I like his movement/scheme running potential though, being able to push 4" and drop a scheme marker as a 0 action seems pretty powerful - but at 12 ss I could get three guild hounds for my objective running.

I'd be really interested to hear what people think of him.

For a Pale Rider you can get 4 Guild Hounds, they are 3ss each. You also get an additional 3 activations over the Pale Rider's 1.

If you are concerned about him being killed early on you can also have him sit near a Guardian which can give him Defensive +2 and Heal him +2 with a Trigger. This would keep him around long enough to get him to his full potential. Alternatively you could hire the Governor's Proxy in order to heal him up if he's taking flank or even take him with McCabe so he can be given the Strangemetal Shirt or be healed by McCabe's Elixir. Once he gets to turn 3 he can start dishing out some pain in melee and healing himself. As an Enforcer he could also be given a Lead Lined Coat to give him Armour +1 to up his survivablity for a while. 

He also has a fairly decent range on his attack so he can stay at a relatively safe distance to dish out some damage or even run schemes in your half of the table before going in for the kill. 

I've used him quite often since wave 2 hit.  He's rather good.  Long range gun and extra movement capabilities and a self-healing ability means he can come out and play a turn earlier than the rest of the riders without so much fear of losing him.

He hasn't always got the damage output I'd like on a 12 stone model as his trigger for bonus damage can only be used once a turn, but by turn 3-4 he can take almost any punch and laugh it off.

He's highly mobile without being as fragile as hounds, meaning he can drop scheme marker in reckoning games where hounds might be sub-optimal.

I really rate him, and would often use him.  I've only lost him once - to raspy on turn 2 from a double helping or RJ damage whilst I was in hard cover.  I'm prepared to put that one down to luck rather than misadventure :)

• Like 1

I can never seem to put him on the table. I've never really been the kind of guy to field anything over about 10ss....as I prefer to have more activations. The whole rider thing doesn't 'click' with me. Wait a couple turns before using that expensive model seems off to me. As Joel said, he doesn't have the damage output I would want in a 12ss model even later in the game.

I'll try him out one day....but he's pretty far down my list of things I want to try.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to proxy him and see how he plays.. hopefully he's really good and will take the place of my peacekeeper, I think I'm risking a hernia or something if I need to carry that model around anymore :(

My attitude about expensive models is that while they limit the number of activations you have, they can essentially earn back their cost if they are capable of influencing your opponents game plan. I find that with models like Mr Graves in my Lynch crew or the Peacekeeper in a guild list are a good combination of being big, expensive and obvious enough while being fairly damaging, survivable and also able to exert a degree of board control with their pushes and pulls. I quite like to rush this kind of model into an area of the board that is going to be important for my oponent so he has to change his game plan. In terms of actually gaining VP  4 (thank you masterdisaster) hounds would of course be more useful, but perhaps they won't influence your opponent's game plan as effectively as a big wrecking ball in a vital location will.  The Pale Rider definitely won't be able to stand up to early game disruption antics so I'm going to have to adapt my attitude to expensive models a bit. I'm interested to see how it's going to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only tried the Pale Rider once, so my sample size of experience is rather small.  That in mind, I did have quite a good time with him.  He did end up dying eventually (I think on turn 5) but it was the result of a combined effort of three of my opponents models for the previous 2 turns.  That, plus the fact that he was laying hurt out as well, was pretty impressive.

The problem with him is that his true potential is only realized late game, so you suffer a little bit when you have a model as expensive as him not doing AS much as 2-4 other models completing the schemes/strategies.

I feel it is really dependent on the schemes and strategies with him.

McCabe. Pale rider. Lone Marshal. Upgrades and dogs to taste.

Call it the hunting party.

Pale rider can revel, place a scheme near an enemy, the dogs can the charge that enemy for a 1ap.

McCabe passable upgrades can do crazy stuff. Give out armor, give the rider regen 2, give someone fast or reactivate.

Marshal is a helluva shooter, and hard to tie down.

Min walk 6 in the crew.

• Like 1

McCabe. Pale rider. Lone Marshal. Upgrades and dogs to taste.

Call it the hunting party.

Pale rider can revel, place a scheme near an enemy, the dogs can the charge that enemy for a 1ap.

McCabe passable upgrades can do crazy stuff. Give out armor, give the rider regen 2, give someone fast or reactivate.

Marshal is a helluva shooter, and hard to tie down.

Min walk 6 in the crew.

I really dig your posts ENinja, you have brutal combos! :D 

Ooh, add luna in there. She's good too. Also, if this is a 50 stone game, apparently the guild hounds are rare 4. So if you wanna stay at 6+ walk bring a watcher or two, if you want to bring something a little slower, but good and "themeatic", bring a hunter. ... You see what I did there?

ENinja