Stripping paint from plastics?

Bodiless

So, it turns out that years of painting Tyranids and Legion of Everblight is lousy practice for painting Beckoners. :( Pretty much my entire first effort at Lynch's crew is headed for a do-over.... you could even say a mulligan. ;) Is it safe to soak the plastics in simple green to remove the paint? I haven't had any trouble with other plastics I've used but every company is a bit different so I thought I would check. Thanks! 

I think people on here have used simple green to good effect, but if in doubt see if you can find a scrap of sprue to dump in it for a few days.

I personally use isopropyl alcohol (98%), its harmless to plastics, metals and resins and peels paint off nicely.

Brake fluid is chancy, one persons great result is anothers melted miniature. It all depends on the additives, Simple Green is a good product, you can also use Methylated Spirits. It also depends on the paint being used as anything that will take enamel off will also damage plastics so this is why you should always use water based acrylics.

For best result take a small container and cover the miniature with your poison and close that container and weigh it down in a hot water bath. Should be ready to strip with an old tooth brush after a few hours.

If you're from the UK you can use Fairy Power Spray

Excellent!  I was just about to start a thread asking about stripping paint from the new plastics but that has been done for me!

So, when you mean Fairy Power spray, do you mean soak the minis in it for a day or so, or simply spray them liberally and wipe off?

Just checking!

Excellent!  I was just about to start a thread asking about stripping paint from the new plastics but that has been done for me!

So, when you mean Fairy Power spray, do you mean soak the minis in it for a day or so, or simply spray them liberally and wipe off?

Just checking!

I bought a bottle of FPS and poured it into a plastic lunch box.  I then submerged the mini in the FPS for about 30 minutes and then cleaned the paint off with a toothbrush at the sink.  Then I just rinsed the model under the tap and 99% of the paint & primer was removed.

As always with new techniques try it on an old mini that you don't care about first.  While I haven't had any problems I don't want your minis being ruined because of my advise :)

• Like 1

I bought a bottle of FPS and poured it into a plastic lunch box.  I then submerged the mini in the FPS for about 30 minutes and then cleaned the paint off with a toothbrush at the sink.  Then I just rinsed the model under the tap and 99% of the paint & primer was removed.

As always with new techniques try it on an old mini that you don't care about first.  While I haven't had any problems I don't want your minis being ruined because of my advise :)

okies!

An old mini that I don't care about..hmmm..gotta be seamus the filthy resser!!