Who's the toughest model you have assembled ?

In any game? Hands-down, the Harbinger of Menoth. I hate that model and all of its top-heavy, not actually sculpted to fit, all-metal, tiny contact points, overdesigned nonsense so bad. I'm not sure I can remember a time anyone handled it and something didn't break or bend or fall off.

Wyrd? Eh, some models have too many pieces, but I can't remember actually being frustrated building any. I guess if I had to pick, I didn't like Aionus since he's PVC, so that comes with all the baggage of the irritating material.

In any game, probably the two Infinity Nomad Remotes I assembled and painted for a friend. He'd already glued one of the legs on the wrong way, so there was alot of cutting and pinning involved just to get it to come together right. 

Honourable mention goes to this guy - a Wild West Exodus model named Marcus Cunningham. His hammer and arms were almost impossible to assemble correctly, unless you had about four hands to glue the pieces together. 

The hardest Wyrd model, though was the Transparent Nightmare Whiskey Golem. Big model, lots of pieces but most importantly, being transparent makes it hard to see exactly what goes where. :P

Bought the new plastic Large Arachnids on their release. Loads of spindly legs mean that they are pretty horrible to put together, exacerbated by components which have to be assembled in a specific order, and (currently) no build instructions published on the Wyrd Games website.

So far, the Black Blood Shaman with the dagger in the air. The wings make no sense how they go together, and the instructions are at the perfect angle to tell you nothing.

Ironically, the thing I suck at, having hands actually meet at a weapon, was the bit that was a flawless fit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not the hardest ever, but one of the Guild Hounds is in two halves with no "jigsaw nature" to fit them together.  Just two, technically mirrored halves that never quire line up no matter how hard you try.  Then you get to attach a bunch of super tiny legs to it.  For my effort, I get to pray nothing snaps off with the spindly contact point suspending things in the air.  I'm sure others have been harder, but after I finished them, life moved on.  That hound gets to remind me of the nightmare every time I see it.

Oh, the Austringer on the cover of Crossroads is ridiculous.  The strap from back to the hand and then hand to hand and then the bird attaches the frailest way you can imagine with a pair of connections on either side so you can do them in stages easily....

I'm working my way through the Insidious Madnesses. Waiting on a missing part from Wyrd for the third model, but the first two haven't been really been difficult. Nothing about them so far has actually been hard to put together, it's just that there's a lot of parts, and some parts aren't obvious where they go or even fit at all until you've constructed their own little part.

The first one is bascially a series of parts that slowly wrap around each other, so it's just putting the next bit on and dry fitting others until you find the next one that fits. The second which has the most parts is, again, about building the separate parts (body, tentacles that are in multiple parts, mouth) and then attaching the complete parts together. It's just about taking it slow and systematically.

6 hours ago, -Loki- said:

I'm working my way through the Insidious Madnesses. Waiting on a missing part from Wyrd for the third model, but the first two haven't been really been difficult. Nothing about them so far has actually been hard to put together, it's just that there's a lot of parts, and some parts aren't obvious where they go or even fit at all until you've constructed their own little part.

I'm about to start these and really not looking forward to it. Think I'm prepared for the standard level of annoyance but I have a big cast around my thumb at the moment which may result in me throwing the models against the wall in frustration. :)

58 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I'm about to start these and really not looking forward to it. Think I'm prepared for the standard level of annoyance but I have a big cast around my thumb at the moment which may result in me throwing the models against the wall in frustration. :)

7 hours ago, -Loki- said:

The first one is bascially a series of parts that slowly wrap around each other, so it's just putting the next bit on and dry fitting others until you find the next one that fits. The second which has the most parts is, again, about building the separate parts (body, tentacles that are in multiple parts, mouth) and then attaching the complete parts together. It's just about taking it slow and systematically.

58 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I did the three of them without looking at the instructions/box art as a dare. Rather frustrating and time-consuming, but perfectly doable...

16 minutes ago, tmod said:

I did the three of them without looking at the instructions/box art as a dare. Rather frustrating and time-consuming, but perfectly doable...

Well I just spent over an hour assembling one of them, and a good chunk of that was looking at the instructions trying to figure out what each piece on in the picture actually corresponded to, and which way around it was meant to be. :D

11 hours ago, LunarSol said:

Maybe its one of those things that's easier without instructions? :mellow:

11 hours ago, -Loki- said:

See, I don't find it frustrating or a tough build when it's just time consuming. It's when you need three hands to hold it together or parts are as smaller than you are physically capable of holding. Time consuming is just that - time consuming.

I think Insidious Madnesses would definitely be easier with the instructions, I only did it on a dare because someone suggested they were almost impossible to put together... They could very well be the worst Wyrd models to put together without anything to go by, as their anatomies make no logical sense whatsoever. But definitely possible, just a little anoying and time consuming...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tmod said:

I think Insidious Madnesses would definitely be easier with the instructions, I only did it on a dare because someone suggested they were almost impossible to put together... They could very well be the worst Wyrd models to put together without anything to go by, as their anatomies make no logical sense whatsoever. But definitely possible, just a little anoying and time consuming...

Yeah, their saving grace is that every piece does fit together nice and tightly once you figure out where it actually goes so you don't have to spend ages pending stuff into pace or trying to align pieces.

I'm currently filling the gaps in mine and it is pretty annoying with the amount of seams though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Yeah, their saving grace is that every piece does fit together nice and tightly once you figure out where it actually goes so you don't have to spend ages pending stuff into pace or trying to align pieces.

I'm currently filling the gaps in mine and it is pretty annoying with the amount of seams though. 

Yeah, I'm in awe of whoever designed that kit, with all those pieces comming together like that!

For me painting is pretty far off, got some Arcanists and Gremlins to finish after the Outcasts I'm doing now before getting round to Neverborn. But I'm already dreading filling those gaps...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmod said:

For me painting is pretty far off, got some Arcanists and Gremlins to finish after the Outcasts I'm doing now before getting round to Neverborn. But I'm already dreading filling those gaps...

I couldn't stand the thought of it (plus with a busted thumb I'd probably muck up any sculpting) so I just primed them and am in the process of filling the gaps with layer upon layer of liquid greenstuff. It seems to be working reasonably well so far (apparently priming first stops it receding too far into the gaps) although it is taking quite some time. I'll stick up a picture when I'm done if you're interested in seeing how that method works out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I couldn't stand the thought of it (plus with a busted thumb I'd probably muck up any sculpting) so I just primed them and am in the process of filling the gaps with layer upon layer of liquid greenstuff. It seems to be working reasonably well so far (apparently priming first stops it receding too far into the gaps) although it is taking quite some time. I'll stick up a picture when I'm done if you're interested in seeing how that method works out. 

Cool! :-)