Lady justice crew selection?

Yngair

Hi folks, I have been playing some games over at Golem painting studio with lucas mcabbe as my master, but im new to the game and was struggling a bit so I thought to get lady justice as she seems relatively straight forward.

I have got the crew box painted up, will be getting some photos when I buy some more bases for them. And now I want to expand my crew selection a bit more, so my question is what works well with lady justice, and how do i make the most of them in game?

Well, that's a big topic...

1. Okay, Lady Justice IS rather straight forward. She has some good support abilities but mainly she punches things or keeps people out of certain areas by looking really menacing.

Models that help her do that: Sidir Alchibal with the Promises upgrade. Models that pull things toward her, like Hunter, Peacekeeper, Judge.

2. Lady Justice is also rather survivable and can tie things down.

Models that help her do that: Healing, like Guardian, Wastrels, Governor's Proxy. Defence Buffs, like Guardian, Francisco Ortega.

3. Furthermore, Lady Justice has some decent support. If she kills somebody (which she will do), friendly Minions who watch her get all motivated and want to kill things, too.

Models she helps do that: Killy Minions, like Riflemen, Hunter, Witchling Stalkers.

That's pretty much the synergies she has.

Aside from that, you can pretty much take the crew you like and simply let Lady Justice do her thing independently. Generally, Witchling Stalkers are very good Minions with broad applications. Further, some objective grabbers and some shooting support can help out greatly. You could consider Riflemen or Ortegas for the latter, and Wastrels, Watchers or Hounds for the former. She also likes a Henchman with some support abilities, but that applies to pretty much all Guild Henchmen, so take your pick.

Oh, and take Death Marshals. There is little obvious synergy between Death Marshals and their Leader, but they are good all around Minions with decent damage, survivability and objective grabbing abilities. And the Pine Box is just such an awesome ability that I generally take a Death Marshal with every Guild Master (well, not always, but most of the time ;) ).

I hope that helped, and feel free to ask further or more specific questions.

• Like 4

Nice post Dirial.

I've found that just by picking up the Crew boxes you have quite a few selections to mix/match with any master. Especially in Guild. 

I'm considering throwing in a couple Latigo Pistoleros next time I run J. They give a nice Df buff to friends before they Activate, and they get an attack bonus against enemy models that have already activated. So activating them late turn lets their Df buff stick around, and if Lady J kills something that turn, her buff will stack with their attack buff giving them plus 2 flips to hit.

• Like 1

That's a good idea! I don't have Pistoleros yet, so I didn't consider them. But they look really solid.

Also, I second buying the Crew Boxes. They are great and almost always a better deal than individual Minion boxes.

• Like 1

Now that I have the Lone Marshal, I'll be giving him a go with Lady J. I think I'd give him Finish the Job, depending on Strats & Schemes. I'd could run Judge in the crew too so I could have Flames of the Pit, but that's an upgrade that I'm not sure that I need. TBH I'm not sure I'd run Judge with her over Franc. Guess I need to play more so I can figure out the crew.  :D

Flames of the Pit is an odd upgrade. I really want to like it but the Terrifying is only reliable against Ressers. If it made all Guild Marshals immune to Horror Duels instead of just Death Marshals that would be something else. But in my crews this will effect about two models. And for 2 SS?

Has anyone had success with this upgrade?

Judge is a great model. He can survive so much, and his upgrade is great with those killy Minions like Witchling Stalkers, especially if they are Inspired by the Lady. And his damage is something else.

Ironically, with all the discussion about Francisco, the one Ortega to make the most of my lists is Papa Loco. Offence is the best defence.

• Like 1

Ressers tend to be the primary cause for taking Flames of the Pit but the Outcasts now also have 2 masters that make heavy use of Undead. Specifically Jack Daw and Leve ocassionally Tara. It has it's uses outside the Resser faction but it is severely limited beyond Ressers and to a much lesser extent the Outcasts.

• Like 1

Flames of the Pit is an odd upgrade. I really want to like it but the Terrifying is only reliable against Ressers. If it made all Guild Marshals immune to Horror Duels instead of just Death Marshals that would be something else. But in my crews this will effect about two models. And for 2 SS?

:+fate

To be fair though, in a "justice box" crew, with three Death Marshals, the Immunity to Horror duels could potentially be worth it against several non undead crews, many neverborn crews come to mind.  The Terrifying (Undead) I agree seems a bit situational, but models like the Exorcist can generate their own undead with false accusation, and I could see the upgrade being quite good in a McMourning led Marshal crew as well.

I agree that it is a pretty situational upgrade, but it has its uses, especially for a new Lady Justice Player who will have a higher concentration of Death Marshals in their crews.

Yeah, I do like the idea of the Exorcist passing out 'Undead'. The downside is Terrifying was always a passive ability that was mainly a card leech. If you need to stop an enemy, Terrifying isn't really the way to do it since they can always cheat it to get that really important activation.

I've also found that two DMs are the max I take. The immunity to Horror is nice, but it's also very situational. Against some crews it would be downright useless.....even taking it against a Rezzer crew....you don't know what Rezzer you're facing and some have very little or no Terrifying. So in that case, you're paying 2ss for one model to have Terrifying 12. Not worth it in my opinion.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good suggestion with the Pistoleros.

Anyway heres a link to my lady justice crew painted up minus the bases. http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100877-lady-justice-midnight-theme-wip/

Gonna pick up another guild crew on a Friday and try do the same again,  paint a crew a weekend and hopefully will have a good selection of guild by the end of the month.

Thanks again for the sugestions.

Quick question can you still choose to fail 'friendly' duels? like for the oldschool J in a Box trick? or Obey? 

Yeah, don't have the book with me, but from memory you can forego flipping for the defender to simply draw the result. The "attacker" still needs to meet TN and casting requirements, as well as beat the defender's stat that is being resisted.

It's on p. 33, in the "Attacking Friendly Models" box. Only the defender can relent, though. This means that you can keep friendly models in the box indefinitely, but the Marshal has to lose if you want them to get out.

Or you put someone else inside. Man, I love pine Box.

Here's the full text of how relenting works from the RB:

Whenever two friendly models are engaged in an Opposed Duel, the defending friendly model may choose to lose the duel. Before any cards are flipped, the defending model may choose to relent. When this happens, the attacker flips as normal, and the defender flips no cards, it is instead assumed that the defender tied the attacker's final Duel Total, without any suits.

The defender may not declare Triggers when it relents to an action in this way, however the attacker may still declare Triggers.

Yeah, don't have the book with me, but from memory you can forego flipping for the defender to simply draw the result. The "attacker" still needs to meet TN and casting requirements, as well as beat the defender's stat that is being resisted.

Emphasis mine. I don't believe that last bit is true. Nothing in the rule indicates this....the only requirement is that if you have a TN you must meet it. So if you don't have a TN and choose to 'tie'....the Attacker could flip the BJ and it would still succeed no matter what the attacking/defending stats are.