Fuhatsu. What are people's impressions?

Fuhatsu got his first action for me this afternoon against Sonia Criid in a Turf War game. I simply marched him up into the void left by Sonia's blasting of my minions in the centre of the board. He then parked his ass there and sprayed down enemies as they closed in. With Armour +2 and Hard to Wound, he soaked up an exceptional amount of fiery casting from Sonia and Hopkins. The zero cost heal pushes him into amazing resilience. Admittedly, I did dodge the pine box of the Death Marshal on 2 occasions with some luck. 

I found that I was more than willing to spend soulstones on ensuring the Ram, so that he could repeat his shooting attack.  In the end, he killed 3 enemy models and soaked up in inordinate amount of attention. All the while maintaining an immovable claim on the turf war strategy. Obviously, if you're chasing markers around the board, he may not be as effective. Until that time, I'm sure I'll choose him over Ototo or Lone Swordsman in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I used him last night in a Misaki crew for the first time. I was not overly impressed as he only fired three shots during the game, two of which did weak damage, and the third being the (2) action flipped a black joker. The only part that really impressed me was how good of a bodyguard target he was. Parked next to yamiziko, meant he wasn't getting charged, and healing helped keep him above 1/2 wounds. Curious to see how he plays out in future games.

• 1 month later...

Just reading through this to get some ideas for using Fuhatsu and a point on this for anybody else reading it:

He is a tank. Armor 2 hard to wound. Most days he takes one damage lol. His gun by itself is good. But the two action if you decent cards can chew through people. Burn a stone for the ram. Shoot away cheat high if need be. Not always the best choice but can takedown many weak things.

You can't cheat if you use the (2) action.  It gets :+fate :+fate :+fate  but no cheat.  You can of course cheat the damage though if you get through.  I see two main ways of using him.  Either focus and use your regular (1) action (maybe more if you can get focus on him another way). Or spend the SS for the :ram, take the (2) action and hope for some good flips.  Even if he only get to do it twice laying down blast markers that do such high damage is nasty.  I'm hoping to run him in a few games soon but I'm not sure if he's worth the 10SS yet (more if you count the SS you'll need to take for him to burn).  Seems like he would be amazing some days and less so others.  Hopefully I'll find out soon.  In 20SS hardcore games with guaranteed close deployment I can see him upsetting a lot of people though!

Ran him week before last in hardcore, and found in that format, it's too easy to focus him down...however, ran him last week in a 50ss Reckoning and using Steam Gattling Sweep, managed to kill Kang, put 7 damage (after Armor) on a Rail Golem, 7 damage on Mei Fang (after Armor and prevention), and put 3 damage onto Joss (after Armor)...in a single activation. My opponent and I were both pretty impressed. It was a very lucky go of both attack and damage flips, managing the trigger to keep going pretty handily, and hitting severe damage twice to get those amazing 5 damage blasts.

I wouldn't run Recalled Training on him, personally, as the plus flips from the (2) action keep him where he wants to be anyway, for the most part. What I do like on him is Hidden Purpose (Agenda?) to buff Oiran. He's a very consistent, long-ranged damage dealer, so it's very easy to set up your Oiran with Fast and Focused +1, which goes a long way to making them very effective.

• Like 1

Recalled Training is crucial to get real odds at straight flips in damage, outside of that, you really are hoping for high cards.. Also, Hidden Purpose right now is an insanely overpowered upgrade that never actually got a different draft from the beat, so using it and expecting it to not change is very wishful thinking.

When using the Burst/Sweep (can't recall - the (2)) - you're hoping for high cards anyway, as you can't cheat, and he gets a +flip on the standard anyway. I rarely worry about cheating damage with a model like this, and lean toward volume of fire. Also, if you're playing Misaki, or activate him late in the turn, either their hand is low for cheating defense, or they don't want to blow cards in case of a Misaki assassination run, or you may simply be on your third or fourth shot with him (depending on how many models you have in range/Rams you can flip) so you can push them toward not cheating to get a high combat differential.

As for Hidden Purpose, I like it , but I'm unconcerned if it changes. I honestly don't think it's that overpowered, if at all. Oiran are already overcosted a bit, and running two is a big point sink for what they do just to take advantage of the Upgrade. In play, it seems neat, but by no means game-breaking.

Actually I like Recall Training on him but don't really use it with the 2 AP attack but with his normal one.  I use it so I can cheat moderate damage for both attacks for the 5 damage.  Either to nail two models or to nail one twice for 10 damage.  I would only likely use it with the Sweep if I already know the BJ is not a problem and I want to cheat to a Severe to catch something important in the blast.

• 1 month later...

So I've now played him more than 1/2 a dozen times, but I'm really not getting the most out of him I feel. Reading through the thread, the idea of a soulstone to make sure to get the ram on the 2 action, but I feel that most times the 2 action is at a - flip and therefore does 2 damage which certainly is not worth a 2 AP. with the 1ap action, he is pretty good, but still find my self inflicting weak damage. I assume focusing the 1 AP shot makes it more likely to inflict the higher rate, but I still often feel that I would have been better off with toshiro or Sidir for close to the same point cost.

I think setting him up for one big turn of shooting is the way of going.  Stick Re-Called training on him and those damage flips get :+fate  which makes using those stones a lot more attractive.

PRetty much this, if you aren't going to use recalled training for that big crazy turn of death, just go for a Jigoku Samurai who is better at bouncing low damage shots.

PRetty much this, if you aren't going to use recalled training for that big crazy turn of death, just go for a Jigoku Samurai who is better at bouncing low damage shots.

I find myself reaching for Katanaka Snipers more, and more. 1 point less, damage spread of 2/4/5,  :+fate on the hit, from the shadows, HtK, and a 2/4/5 Ml attack with  :+fate  on the hit. No shooting again, but that cannot really be relied upon anyhow.

• 3 months later...

THREDOMANCY! OOOOH! (I can do that, I'm a Resser!)

Well, I've been giving more thought to Fuhatsu, and though initially on this thread I was more positive about him, the more I've used him, or simply discarded him during list creation has kind of soured me about him.

I've never managed to get the 2 AP action to do anything for me, I either got engaged, or outright missed when I seemed capable of doing it. I've read that people have managed to generate massive amounts of death with this, but I'm just not getting that result, so yeah, is it a once every five games thing or how do you play it to throw your load?

Supposing the 2 AP action is mostly ignored except for the "good one", have people felt the 1 AP action gets the job done enough to say "yeah, this works"? I mean, it's an awesome damage track no doubt, but that weak damage 2 really makes it be meh and you can now reach for a Katanaka if you want concentrated fire with better firing ranges, a lot cheaper and better melee.

A very big part of the cost of Fuhatsu is of course his immense ressilience, but is his ressilience really worth it when most times engaging him will castrate him? Yeah, he has madman with a MachineGun, but I've found miself without the ram more then a few times, and the enemy model can still pass the duel and keep your grounded. So yeah, Fuhatsu is very hard to kill with all his stuff stacked on, but does that actually help? I mean, Izamu is also hard to kill (not as much as Fuhatsu), but has a lot more table presence, conditioning enemy play while he slaughters through the table.

Finally, and big fat reason I have such a hard time getting use out of him... Braced, oh god Braced, never has a well intentioned ruled hurt so much... OK, so he is immune to lure and push shenanigans which is great, but you also cannot use your own push and movement tricks, so you have a gun tower with 2 AP that has to deliver itself with a Wk of 4 and only 3 ways to speed it up in the faction.

- McCabe Badge of Speed for the Nimble, and you waste the push he gives you.

- Shenlong or Sensei Yu giving Fast to Fuhatsu with Wandering River Style (again, wasting the push).

- Brewmaster using Obey or Choose Your Poison with the mask trigger, since obey causes a Walk action and is the only thing that can actually move him.

By far, the most efficient of these is the obey angle, but that pretty much means Brewmaster if you want to move him without wasting any added resources from the action and it also shows that an enemy with Obey can greatly screw with Fuhatsu by putting off position again and demanding more Walks from him that can't be just compensated by a well spent push action.

McCabe in pratical terms is probably the easiest to get going, and Fuhatsu with Nimble is a fine package, but he still needs a certain level of babysitting to not keep him silent.

Anyway, pleeeeeeeeeease, give me suggestions, it's an awesome model and it has an awesome paintjob, I want to put it more on the table! But I'm already choking on big boy models I want to use that want some time in the light.

I have also been struggling to fit him in my lists. He requires a great deal of set up for a single turn and if anything goes wrong his activation is wasted. If he isn't shooting, he is pretty much a wasted model on the table. For games like turf war he is not bad as the enemy needs models in a certain part of the board, but I find the 10 points are usually better spent on dawn serpent, toshiro, or Izamu. I am going to give him another try next week with oiran and the free upgrade. I was also thinking of a heavy shooting list with Fuhatsu, archers and oiran. Use Fuhatsu as a holder for the archer and oiran upgrades.

I have also been struggling to fit him in my lists. He requires a great deal of set up for a single turn and if anything goes wrong his activation is wasted. If he isn't shooting, he is pretty much a wasted model on the table. For games like turf war he is not bad as the enemy needs models in a certain part of the board, but I find the 10 points are usually better spent on dawn serpent, toshiro, or Izamu. I am going to give him another try next week with oiran and the free upgrade. I was also thinking of a heavy shooting list with Fuhatsu, archers and oiran. Use Fuhatsu as a holder for the archer and oiran upgrades.

Yeah, the other alternatives are at the very least more reliable in their function... I've also considered the Fuhatsu plus Archer angle or with Oiran (I do feel Recalled Training is too important for him to get a good turn out of the gun), but I'm weary of having 24-25 SS on models that need babysitting.

I used Fuhatsu for a while and have tried him with the Oiran upgrade.

Have to admit I agree with the above, his main benefit is his staying power. He's very easy to lockdown, either with a high card, good model placement (so a model that is pushed away just hits another model/terrain) or something with a 3" range. The 2AP action is really difficult to get off and without resource investment it's easy to get a 2 damage shot and then have him do nothing for the rest of the game. Though I love the model I tend to reach for a Samurai now, extra range, close combat abiltiy that ignores armour and ability to be pushed.

He's easy to get the upgrade to go off at least once but I still didn't get much out of the Oiran. But I was using them defensively, to really know I'd have to use them in a schemy or offensive manner so juries out on that, would like to practice a few more times.

I really like the model so I'd be keen to go back and try and get him to work.

• 7 months later...

The above is mostly true. I find him to be the best holder of Hidden Agenda for me since I gave Sidir away, and the bonus is pretty solid, if not really paramount. The Oiran themselves are the ones that are harder to get mileage out of. What does Fuhatsu do? He walks to where he can shoot, then shoots while he can, and survives almost everything. If you want the (2) action, just set up the crazy big turn where you discard Recalled Training and stone for rams so you can do it again. 10(11) SS? 3 Bodyguard VP easily earned, with some ranged support as a bonus. Well worth it.

Hm. 3vp from Bodyguard easily earned? That means Fuhatsu spends 3ap alone to walk out of his deployment to count for Bodyguard. Which means he is left with 7 more to actually do something. For a model that shoots so you can't cheat, burn a stone for that try, spend half of his input in just walking and hope there is no armor ignore. I'd hardly go as far as saying "easy 3vp, survives almost anything, well worth it". 

But then again experiences differ with models. I'm glad you've got him to function. I just played a game not so long ago when he was stuck in his deployment for 3 turns because of a single Raptor which costs 3ss. :P gladly I was the one short 3ss.

Hm. 3vp from Bodyguard easily earned? That means Fuhatsu spends 3ap alone to walk out of his deployment to count for Bodyguard. Which means he is left with 7 more to actually do something. For a model that shoots so you can't cheat, burn a stone for that try, spend half of his input in just walking and hope there is no armor ignore. I'd hardly go as far as saying "easy 3vp, survives almost anything, well worth it". 

But then again experiences differ with models. I'm glad you've got him to function. I just played a game not so long ago when he was stuck in his deployment for 3 turns because of a single Raptor which costs 3ss. :P gladly I was the one short 3ss.

I guess I got lucky so far, maybe managed to read my opponents' crew builds as I know them well. And of course you have to be careful what you take him against :) There was this game where he was doing just fine against the Victorias with some Depleted blocking their LoS lanes until I made a positioning mistake and let hench Vik evaporate half my crew. Afterwards we realized that actually she should have died from Yamaziko's Brace the moment she charged. This was certainly a game that made me sweat, and it felt like I fought uphill, and it was glorious. Anyway, as you said, personal experiences differ :).
And yay, I finally crept onto forum land. Woe to those who listen to my ramblings all too much :D

I think when he functions he is a goddamn doom bringer but it's a bit too much of a coin flip with him and my flips aren't that good that I can afford to coin flip the effect of my models. You'd think having a hand under 8 would mean top decking the high cards, but noooope. 

And this is why if you want to shoot people with all the + flips from afar, you take Samurai. While if want to gamble, you take Fuhatsu ;).
The (0) focus sounds great, especially if you don't need a heal pronto. The peasants can give him even more focus, just like with the sniper combo I'm itching to try out. 2 shots with focus on. Yum!