pandora questions

Verdeloth

• 4 weeks later...

What do people think of Poltergeist? The advice I've gotten from our local Neverborn players it is a great model that works best on a shelf, looking great. Not so much on the table though. I'm planning to use Pandora as my second master after Lynch, and will probably be having enough trouble without trying to force Poltergeist to work on the table if it just isn't that good...

• Like 1

And in a similar vein as Bodiless' question, in addition to the poltergeist how does Candy fit into the crew? When Bodiless and I played yesterday she seemed to be an odd one out. Admittedly it was my first game with Pandy and I only had the starter box. I love the concept of Candy and really want to make her (and the poltergeist) work.

The Poltergeist is amazing. Sadly your opponent will also quickly learn that and it's not that easy to keep it alive.

If you can keep it alive its a huge boon to Pandora and anyone else targeting Wp, including itself. If you get it into your opponents crew and catch multiple models in its aura it can really mess up his turn. However its 5ss, HT 3, without that many wounds and with short ranged abilities. There is some profit to be gained by pretty much forcing your opponent to deal with it but I usually don't bring it. That being said I'd definitely try it out.

So, I'm one of those who hasn't even bothered assembling my own Poltergeist. The main issue for me isn't that the Poltergeist is bad, it is just that it is expensive. I'd rather have a Malifaux Child and some points for upgrades, rather than dumping a bunch of points into something that isn't easy to keep alive.

That said, I think it certainly can be usable. The big thing to realize is that its purpose isn't so much taking actions, as getting into the midst of the enemy to debuff them. Magical Extension is nice if it can cast it, but I think a more potent use is to hide it behind terrain until the right time, and them make a 12" incorporeal dash to get near some important enemies and cover them in its Aura. And if you can time it to do so after those models have activated, you can follow up by having Pandora or Widow Weaver or someone who hits them with something that causes Horror Duels, or shuts them down in some other way. (Or just, say, bring Bishop along to punch them to death.)

Speaking of its mobility - it is speed 6, incorporeal, and a minion, so it can also help with objectives. It is a bit pricy to make that its primary purpose, but that gives it something to work on while you wait for an opportunity to really exploit it.

As far as its survivability... as I mentioned, keeping out of sight is always a useful trick for someone with good speed and Incorporeal. In addition, it is a Woe, which means Pandora can use Martyr to soak damage from it. As can Iggy, if you bring him along. If you also have access to healing - such as with Candy - that can go a long way. The downside of this is that you need to stay somewhat clustered yourself, and even if all your models are heading for the same place, you may have some timing issues with trying to keep them positioned in the right spots at the right time.

Regarding Candy's use with Pandora, I find her to be a pretty great all-around model. She's got 3 AP, which is really nice for her cost. She has Manipulative to help stay alive, but even without it, has decent Df and the ability to use Soulstones. As for what she does herself, she has a couple different options - she can help out with healing the crew. Or she can try and position herself near key enemies and take advantage of Mood Swing to punish enemies with Sweets and Sours. Her attacks aren't very accurate, but if you have debuffed enemy Wp, they don't have to be. And she has a 3" melee range which is great for just causing interference in the enemy ranks.

The key is not to rely on her as being the best at anything. If you can't set up a paralyze via Sweets, don't stress about it - just have her do whatever useful thing she can do, which might simply be moving around and healing, or might be locking down models for next round. And when you do manage to trigger a Mood Swing / Sweets combo, it can really cripple an enemy crew.

I like her best in a Woe-based crew, where her healing can really boost the effectiveness of Martyr.

One of the weaknesses is that both of these models - and several others in Pandora's crew - really benefit from waiting to go as late in the round as possible. While also being kinda pricy, making it hard to really outnumber your enemy the way you want to. So to some extent, you want to keep aware of this limitation, and either find some cheap additions that can help boost your crew size (like Alps, for example), or try and remove vulnerable targets early in the game to gain the activation edge in that fashion.

I've found the Poltergeist to be pretty awesome, all in all, though it is a bit fragile.  Running it up to a model for the :-fate WP debuff really sets Pandora up to do a number on a model, and you can usually keep it safe by forcing the opponent to activate a distant Mood Swingy model instead of the model Pandora is about to slap around. 

As noted above, a fast, incorporeal, significant model is also a pretty nice, though that's more of a secondary benefit than anything else. 

The problem with fast, incorporeal, significant model is that the Insidious Madness does that better is is usually able to keep itself alive more due to not being ht3, not being quite as big a target, having a ranged attack and not competing with Primodial Magic. But as you said, if you can set it up the Poltergeist is an absolute beast to deal with. I've had one kill Marcus on his own because of the :-fate.

• 3 weeks later...