Leveticus Tactica: Burnt Offerings

Hateful Darkblack

Has anyone tried using Vanessa with Levy?  She won't be using any of her sister-related shenanigans but Command Construct could be useful in a Levy crew.  Also Intuition and the Surge trigger are universally useful.

I've tried her out with Leve once, and she was solid.  She didn't have as much synergy as say, Ashes and Dust, but Command Construct was useful for actions like extra Vile Reclamations or allowing Abominations, A&D, and Desolation Engines to take extra Walk actions.  One of the things that really helped was her Intuition ability.  During two turns, I activated her, used Intuition, walked twice, and then activated Leve, allowing him to stack the top of the deck like he could in M1.5.

I've been wanting to use Montressor with levi to pull models into range of the Abominations auras. Has anybody tried him with levi yet?

This is a really cool idea!  I'm hopefully getting a game in this week sometime, and I'll be sure to report back if I get the opportunity to try this.

Which strategy and scheme do you all think is Leve is worse at and why?

Leve is really interesting in this regard.  He's the best at things like Assassinate and he himself is quite mobile, but his themed crew is not.  In my experience,his themed crew is best at "Take and Hold" or "Kill Enemy Models" schemes/strategies, such as Turf War, Protect Territory, Assassinate, and Make them Suffer. 

However, once you consider Pariah of Iron and Pariah of Bone, this all goes out the window!  Leve has such as huge hiring pool, that he can essential assemble a crew that's great for accomplishing almost any strategy or scheme.  In addition to any Outcast model, he can hire half the Arcanist and Guild factions (plus Collodi's themed crew) with Pariah of Iron, and can hire almost the entire Ressurectionist faction (plus random models from other factions) with Pariah of Bone.  This really allows you to customize your crew, so I wouldn't say there's ANY strategy/scheme combination he's incapable of being good at.

• Like 2

Leve is really interesting in this regard.  He's the best at things like Assassinate and he himself is quite mobile, but his themed crew is not.  In my experience,his themed crew is best at "Take and Hold" or "Kill Enemy Models" schemes/strategies, such as Turf War, Protect Territory, Assassinate, and Make them Suffer. 

However, once you consider Pariah of Iron and Pariah of Bone, this all goes out the window!  Leve has such as huge hiring pool, that he can essential assemble a crew that's great for accomplishing almost any strategy or scheme.  In addition to any Outcast model, he can hire half the Arcanist and Guild factions (plus Collodi's themed crew) with Pariah of Iron, and can hire almost the entire Ressurectionist faction (plus random models from other factions) with Pariah of Bone.  This really allows you to customize your crew, so I wouldn't say there's ANY strategy/scheme combination he's incapable of being good at.

I agree with you 100%. My intention with the question were really to stir up some discussion about why some players feel that Leveticus is bad at certain strategies and schemes. With his vast crew selection, I cannot come up with a situation were you cannot find a solution to.

In the tournaments at the NOVA Open this weekend, I've been finding that Levi is almost always the easiest choice of Master for any given combination of schemes and strategy (though my only other options at the moment are Viktoria and Von Schill). He's so reliable at removing enemy models that it frees up your crew to do whatever else you need.

About Vanessa and Leveticus.... that girl is pretty nice with the old man, I use her when play Reckoning and is a solid model if you include Lazarus (who is an Outcast so you still can play Ashes, Bones or neither). You have Intuition and Command Construct, that two fits perfectly in Leve crew, she give me every game i play nice results.

About strats&schemes, +1 Moxipoo.

I agree with many of the posts above.

I find Levi very strong is just about every strategy and scheme.  First because he, like the Viks, is good at killing things and strengthening his crew....  while the crew does all the VP scoring.

Add in his hiring pool and ability to tailor effective crews between Reckoning and Reconniter, and well, its pretty darn strong.

This all said, I actually find the other Outcast Masters are usually "better" in particular Strats and match-ups then Levi... for instance I prefer the Viks in Reckoning, Tara in Stake a Claim and VS in Turf War.  So Levi remains my "fall back" Master of the Faction instead of the front runners in particular games.

It's kinda nice, actually, I get to play him when I want opposed to when I feel I "need" too.

I tend to find my choice is affected more by the schemes. For instance, Viktoria is great at Reckoning, but if Assassinate is also on the table she's a liability. I actually think Levi is pretty incredible at Stake a Claim - I played a game today where I had four markers on the opponent's side by turn 2 (but I don't own Tara, so I've never tried her for that). I would personally never take VS in any game because I think he's rubbish, but he does make a fantastic doubles partner for Levi.

At the moment I don't have much non-Outcast stuff in my case, so I've been taking Sybelle, Belles, Necropunks and the Ashes and Dust. Sybelle (with Scramble on severe-terrain-heavy boards) plus a Belle can place an easy marker every turn. The Punks can't quite do one every turn without help, but they're plenty quick enough to get a decent lead. Levi and A&D clear the way.

Construct-Levi has his own set of tricks for it. ;)

Ashes and Dust is amazing in Stake a Claim. I won a round in a tournament this past weekend with Leveticus and Ashes and Dust.

A&D moved into position.

Leveticus sacrificed it to move into base contact. Summoned Ashen Core on the other side of the A&D. Summoned Dust Cloud on the far table edge near the Center line.

Leveticus moved out and placed a Claim Marker.

Ashen Core placed a Claim Marker.

Dust Storm removed an enemy Claim Marker and placed a Claim Marker.

Went from "Down by 3 Claim Markers" to "Up by 1 Claim Marker" with two models. And I was playing against Tara, who is masterful at Stake a Claim.

Seriously. Leveticus plus A&D equals Stake a Claim.

(Also good: Soulstone Miner, Necropunks.)

What would you recommend for anchors? I know of mention of Lazarus but just wondering if any other great anchors? Also is it better to not hire on the desolation engine in a levi crew due to abominations having the ability to create one.. is the creation of a desolation engine easy to pull off? After reading the Levi tactica on pull my finger I honestly cant wait to get hus crew box. He seems like a beat on the table with his quirky play style

It is fine to start with a Desolation Engine on the board, especially in Turf War were you just want to chuck it straight into the middle. I find the DE to be fairly cost efficient too, since you get two Abominations back when it goes down, which justifies its otherwise quite steep price tag. Also, when your hire a DE, make sure that you have ways to summon more Abominations so that it can keep coming back. NB: Don't take the DE when Murder Protoge is in the pool.

It find it quite hard to summon a DE plainly in game, but it can be done. Joss and the Large Steam Arachnid makes it easier with Creative Salvage. The hard part is that unless the enemy clusters your Abominations will often be spread out across the board, with little or no way of reaching each other than using their very slow walk. You will also need to invest in nearly all upgrades which enables Leve to summon Abominations and have the Soulstones to back up the suit requirements. In the end, you shouldn't really force the issue and try your hardest to summon the DE. If it happens it happens, but just the threat of it happening will have your opponent go after your Abominations instead of your Anchors and runners; i.e. the important models of the crew. By summoning Abominations everywhere and having them wobble closer to each other will lead to a dilemma for your opponent, let something else go free or have one of the most destructive models in the game in their face!

Lazarus is probably the best anchor around, but there are a lot of other good choices. I have tried Stitched Together a couple of times with good results. Their Creepy Fog can provide with some cover, and the threat of their Gamble Your Life will often keep foes at bay. They are also quite hard to take down, and only cost 6. Another low cost favourite is The Drowned. They also cost 6, and there are few melee models want to engage them thanks to their "Resilience" ability. Their attack is ok and can put out paralyse on targets that are already slow (Leve can put out slow so there are some nice synergy there).

It is fine to start with a Desolation Engine on the board, especially in Turf War were you just want to chuck it straight into the middle. I find the DE to be fairly cost efficient too, since you get two Abominations back when it goes down, which justifies its otherwise quite steep price tag. Also, when your hire a DE, make sure that you have ways to summon more Abominations so that it can keep coming back. NB: Don't take the DE when Murder Protoge is in the pool.

It find it quite hard to summon a DE plainly in game, but it can be done. Joss and the Large Steam Arachnid makes it easier with Creative Salvage. The hard part is that unless the enemy clusters your Abominations will often be spread out across the board, with little or no way of reaching each other than using their very slow walk. You will also need to invest in nearly all upgrades which enables Leve to summon Abominations and have the Soulstones to back up the suit requirements. In the end, you shouldn't really force the issue and try your hardest to summon the DE. If it happens it happens, but just the threat of it happening will have your opponent go after your Abominations instead of your Anchors and runners; i.e. the important models of the crew. By summoning Abominations everywhere and having them wobble closer to each other will lead to a dilemma for your opponent, let something else go free or have one of the most destructive models in the game in their face!

Lazarus is probably the best anchor around, but there are a lot of other good choices. I have tried Stitched Together a couple of times with good results. Their Creepy Fog can provide with some cover, and the threat of their Gamble Your Life will often keep foes at bay. They are also quite hard to take down, and only cost 6. Another low cost favourite is The Drowned. They also cost 6, and there are few melee models want to engage them thanks to their "Resilience" ability. Their attack is ok and can put out paralyse on targets that are already slow (Leve can put out slow so there are some nice synergy there).

Nice! I love the fear factor that Levi crew has. The drowned sound like a great option for an anchor. DE must be one scary miniature on the table if everyone is commited in trying to stop it or the creation of one. Man I want to play this crew. I hope that we dont have to wait long on the new plastic Levi crew box. I have seen art for his crew and it looks boss.

Im still slightly puzzledvon how it is difficult to pull off a creation of a DE.. mean Levi's crew has multiple ways of producing abominations especially with Rusty A's gun. I do see a problem however in facing a crew that does not have a high model count, giving you less chances to create abominations. I don't want to come off as a person hell bent on creating a DE lol. It would be awsome to make one every game but the truth is it someting that will make you loose a game real quick if that becomes a focus for a player. Im compleatly cool with the Desolation Engine being a boogy man to an enemy player. Because it will be that fear that gives you an edge in a game.

My main concern is having really good anchors to keep your waifs alive. Im going to assume that Rust A and Ashes and Dust are going to be in the crew box and they will be the anchors of the crew box when it is released. So that leaves you two waifs to guard during a game? Now correct me on this I had information overload when I was reading on the M2 pull my finger tactica but does a Waif get created when levi dies? If I remember correct that its an action that levels itself out....or is it the opposite? Where a waif dies when levi is created? Im going to have to re read the tactica. Its an off the wall game mechanic i know that much. I can tell already my GF is going to have alot of WTF moments when i play her with the Levi crew. She plays Seamus shadows of redchappel crew so that will be an interesting game...can kill joy be used as an anchor?

Im still slightly puzzledvon how it is difficult to pull off a creation of a DE.. mean Levi's crew has multiple ways of producing abominations especially with Rusty A's gun. I do see a problem however in facing a crew that does not have a high model count, giving you less chances to create abominations. I don't want to come off as a person hell bent on creating a DE lol. It would be awsome to make one every game but the truth is it someting that will make you loose a game real quick if that becomes a focus for a player. Im compleatly cool with the Desolation Engine being a boogy man to an enemy player. Because it will be that fear that gives you an edge in a game.

My main concern is having really good anchors to keep your waifs alive. Im going to assume that Rust A and Ashes and Dust are going to be in the crew box and they will be the anchors of the crew box when it is released. So that leaves you two waifs to guard during a game? Now correct me on this I had information overload when I was reading on the M2 pull my finger tactica but does a Waif get created when levi dies? If I remember correct that its an action that levels itself out....or is it the opposite? Where a waif dies when levi is created? Im going to have to re read the tactica. Its an off the wall game mechanic i know that much. I can tell already my GF is going to have alot of WTF moments when i play her with the Levi crew. She plays Seamus shadows of redchappel crew so that will be an interesting game...can kill joy be used as an anchor?

LOL! After reading up on Killjoy more im thinking maybe he is not a good choice for an anchor for waifs. His blood price ability would just make the job of trying to protect your waifs more of a challenge especially if you dont have anything to hide behind. Pitty for what killjoy sets his sights on.

What I look for in an anchor:

1. Durability. Lazarus is amazing at this. Ashes and Dust are also great. Most Henchmen are fine. Izamu is very promising.

2. Ability to protect the Waif. This usually means "Ability to kill stuff that gets close" which is where Rusty Alyce shines. Ashes and Dust is good too for the same reason. Big models are nice because they can block LOS to the waif. Usually the Waif is hiding behind terrain, but other protection helps a lot.

3. Ability to earn VP while protecting a Waif. This is the big one. I don't want to spend 6 soulstones on a dedicated anchor. I want to hire models that will win me the game, and also babysit. Soulstone Miners are great for this - they appear upfield and run schemes, then hang around and anchor.

What I look for in an anchor:

1. Durability. Lazarus is amazing at this. Ashes and Dust are also great. Most Henchmen are fine. Izamu is very promising.

2. Ability to protect the Waif. This usually means "Ability to kill stuff that gets close" which is where Rusty Alyce shines. Ashes and Dust is good too for the same reason. Big models are nice because they can block LOS to the waif. Usually the Waif is hiding behind terrain, but other protection helps a lot.

3. Ability to earn VP while protecting a Waif. This is the big one. I don't want to spend 6 soulstones on a dedicated anchor. I want to hire models that will win me the game, and also babysit. Soulstone Miners are great for this - they appear upfield and run schemes, then hang around and anchor.

Soul stone miners sound kinda thematic with Levi. I'll have to check them out :)

Ok I really want to go with the pariah of bone upgrade so I can field Bete Noire. But Im having a bit of a hard time figuring up a Leveticus crew with her in it at a 50ss level what would you suggest for a crew creation? I would like to include Rusty A, Ashes and Dust, Desolation Engine, Bete Noire. The huge problem is that these are expensive models and i feel that yes it is possible to include all of them in a crew but i also feel it is taking away an important element somwhere.

You really won't need that much hitting power. I try to limit myself to two expensive models, and keep the rest of the crew reasonably cheap. You can always try Bete Noire and Killjoy for a fun "Surprise!" moment, but I'd generally recommend someone who will make a safe anchor at range, like Alyce.