Leveticus Tactica: Burnt Offerings

Hateful Darkblack

On Oath Keeper, I'm not sure you're right, Ezryder. Leveticus' controller gets to pick the order in which his abilities apply, so he can apply Oath Keeper first, I believe. I am not sure, though.

Finish the Job: When this model is killed, it may

place a Scheme marker in base contact with itself

before it is removed.

Pariah's Soul: When this model is killed or

sacrificed, it is not killed or sacrificed. Instead,

bury this model. Remove all Conditions and

heal all damage on this model.

Pariah's Soul quite clearly says that Leve is not killed or sacrificed, rather, he is buried. Finish the Job only triggers when a model is killed. Thus, Finish the Job will not trigger. This is my reading of the matter. How do you interpret it?

Finish the Job: When this model is killed, it may

place a Scheme marker in base contact with itself

before it is removed.

Pariah's Soul: When this model is killed or

sacrificed, it is not killed or sacrificed. Instead,

bury this model. Remove all Conditions and

heal all damage on this model.

Pariah's Soul quite clearly says that Leve is not killed or sacrificed, rather, he is buried. Finish the Job only triggers when a model is killed. Thus, Finish the Job will not trigger. This is my reading of the matter. How do you interpret it?

I could be totally wrong here.

But here's how I interpret it: the controlling player picks the order of those two effects.

So, right after Leveticus gets mauled by a bear, he can look at his Upgrade card and say "Hey, I've been killed. I drop a Scheme Marker. Says right here on Finish the Job."

Then, once the Scheme Marker is on the ground, he can look at his card and say "Okay, I've been killed. I get buried instead. Says rigtht here on Pariah's Soul."

If they applied in the other order, the Scheme Marker wouldn't be dropped. But Leveticus's player picks the order.

I could be totally wrong on this. I've never taken the Upgrade on Levy before, and it doesn't seem worth the above-the-table headache to try it, but I think that's how it works.

Thanks for bringing this up, and thanks for including the text in the discussion.

I started a new thread for this rules question, since I really am not sure. http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100841-leveticuss-suicide-mission/

I tried using the Hanged and Dead Doxie tonight and they both performed rather well.

Hanged helped out tear apart Seamus and his zombie hoes with terrify being incredibly useful.

Dead doxie was useful for moving my own stuff about alongside a rotten belle to manipulate the board position.

Great writeup HD!  You make some really excellent points, and it was an enjoyable read.  You briefly mentioned using other masters' theme crews, and one I've been liking a lot is taking a portion of Hamelin's crew for a super summoning list.  I tend to take a list like this for strat/schem combos where I need to get to a single location and just sit there, such as Turf War/LiTS.

Leveticus - From Ash, Pariah of Iron

Rusty - From the Aether

3x Malifaux Rats

Obedient Wretch

3x Abomination

Large Steam Arachnid

(then I generally add more to the cache or grab a few more upgrades)

Basically, you use the Rats to Blight the Abominations, and then summon a Rat King, which turns into a Rat Catcher.  Then the Abominations use Vile Reclamation on each other, and the Large Steam Arachnid kills them, giving you lots of delicious scrap + Rats.  You see where it's going from here:  summon a ton of Rats and Abominations and Voltron them into Rat Kings and a Desolation Engine to attrition down your opponent's crew.  With all the Abominations using Vile Reclamation, I find that my hand is generallypretty full as well.

This setup is really, really slow however, so I wouldn't recommend it in games where you need a lot of movement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First time playing with Ashes and Dust in 2nd ed (yes I realize I am somewhat late to the party here) good lord is that thing nasty! Playing against McMourning he killed Sebastion, Rogue Necromany, took a bunch of wounds off McMourning himself and then gained me a bunch of VPs through breakthrough :D