M2e Kaeris

mythicFOX

6 hours ago, Xp913 said:

But, you dont need to have the upgrade on him, you could put it on someone else, and swap them.

Its a good theory, but having tried it, its a lot harder to pull off. It depends on getting 3 models in alignment not just 2, and also makes your activation order immensely more challenging - as Howard ends up waiting to activate after being teleported. 

If you think of it as an upgrade giving Howard an option for a 10 inch+ place as his zero action.. thats oretty cool as an upgrade and nly means you need to fit in one or two cheap, fast or tanky beast models to your crew to make it work.

I've found that its also still so rarely used that opponents don't really know what it will do. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, madaxeman said:

Its a good theory, but having tried it, its a lot harder to pull off. It depends on getting 3 models in alignment not just 2, and also makes your activation order immensely more challenging - as Howard ends up waiting to activate after being teleported. 

If you think of it as an upgrade giving Howard an option for a 10 inch+ place as his zero action.. thats oretty cool as an upgrade and nly means you need to fit in one or two cheap, fast or tanky beast models to your crew to make it work.

I've found that its also still so rarely used that opponents don't really know what it will do. 

I think it would see more play if it could be used turn one.

• Agree 1

On 7/17/2018 at 2:44 PM, Franchute said:

@Fazza92 Mr Hollingdale was running this at some point. Maybe he has improved upon it.

My current iteration is

• Kaeris - Grab and Drop, Blinding Flame, Seize the Day
  • Malifaux child
  • The Captain - Patrons Blessing, Imbued Energies
  • Howard Langston - Imbued Energies
  • Union Steamfitter
  • Medical Automaton
  • 2x Wind Gamin

Must admit, this feels a little weaker than the Angelica/Johan list as it doesn't have as much scheme running with Practised Production and there are TNs associated with the pushes, and the pushing is done by your second beater so its not necessarily as threatening (also doesn't have flurry). I know Dave Laing has a lot of success with the Oxfordian Mages in Kaeris, I'm just not sure about them without the pos to attack from Sandeeps commands. Too easy to hide in cover.

I will discuss the list in a little more depth in the next episode of the podcast, should be released later today!

I find a Kaeris crew's beauty is building something that doesn't require resources, so you can put them into winning important point scoring duels.

• Like 1

So now that we know the cards for the Backdraft models, it seems like Kaeris is probably the biggest winner. Saboteurs look best in a G&D crew for backline shooters and card draw, an Fitz and the Golem just seem great at everything she wants! What are people planning on trying out first with her? Personally, I think Fitz is really going to make her Heat Wave build viable as right now my big problem with it is how squishy she is. Maybe this box will help get rid of my negative winrate with her xD 

My issue with HeatWave with is two fold:

needed to get up and close, Kaeris does not have the defense to be up close  (missing Hard to Wound? Or opponents get negative to attacks against Kaeris?)

HeatWave upgrade is both 2ss and Limited. 

I played with it a few times and their was one time it was fun to watch my enemies 12 SS be reduced to nothing. ... while it was fun, it took a lot of set up.  

Conclusion the new models are going to help Kaeirs (all builds), they are more likely to help the best build and I have a hard time seeing fringe upgrades replacing existing.  *I look forward to receiving my models and testing  

• Like 1

Declared Faction: Arcanists 
Crew Name: Kaeris Golem 50ss 
Leader: Kaeris - Cache:(5)
   Seize the Day 1ss 
   Grab and Drop 1ss 
   Blinding Flame 1ss 
Malifaux Child 2ss 
Carlos Vasquez 9ss 
   Stunt Double 1ss 
Fire Golem 9ss 
   Well Rehearsed 1ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Blood Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Doom Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Nemesis Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Arcane Effigy 4ss 
Fire Gamin 4ss

Curious if anyone has made a Golem build. I feel like he could be a strong model. Sure he only has Df4, but if Kaeris and Child give him some burning turn 1, then he can activate and place to Carlos to take his burning which should be a decent amount of burning to start. Not to mention it’s a 10” place so he can get way up the board when he takes the burning from Carlos. 

There is an extra stone so the Gamin could be a Medical Automaton for scheme running/healing. Maybe the Mages aren’t necessary. Just wondering if anyone else was looking to try and make Kaeris work with him. 

I also considered this build with Sandeep to give him incorporeal. 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

With all the new stuff and with what we know about m3e, what would you recommend to get after the kaeris crew box? My kaeris crew are sitting and feeling a bit lonely. Now that we know that reamus are not part of turnament. What will People recommend to get i order to get into 50ss

10 minutes ago, Faitfull said:

With all the new stuff and with what we know about m3e, what would you recommend to get after the kaeris crew box? My kaeris crew are sitting and feeling a bit lonely. Now that we know that reamus are not part of turnament. What will People recommend to get i order to get into 50ss

Often the best way to expand is another crew box. A couple of good ones for Kaeris

Ramos: Yea, he is sorta on death row as far as M2E goes, but in his box comes Joss and Howard Langston, which are great things to have in your toolbox. Also a bunch of steam arachnids, which really don't do much for Kaeris, but they are decently durable minions

Ironsides: Possibly the best choice, as she comes with The Captain (quite possibly the best Arcanist Henchman), very solid with some incidental burning, as well as the trio of Oxfordian Mages (these have to be the single most complained about models in the game, they are very good). 

Backdraft (once it is available): You'll have to offload the Gremlin half, but everything in this box was (seemingly) intended to help Kaeris out, specifically the Fire Golem. Fitzsimmons seems like he definitely has play as well

As for individual models, I'd recommend Carlos Vasquez, Arcane Emissary*, Medical Automatons, Union Steamfitters, or maybe a Rail Golem

*The Emissary is pretty trash in general, but has specific uses with Kaeris, like giving her Instinctual 

Some people make her work, but the general concensus is that she takes a lot of work.  The Backdraft kit really helps that out, with Fitz giving AoE burning and a defensive aura, and the Fire Gamin being either a big damage spike or if you're taking Purifying Fire the best healer in faction

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thinking of going fixed list for a little while. 

Anything glaring that I'm missing? Bar Sandeep 😉

50 SS Arcanists Crew
Kaeris + 4 Pool
 - Grab and Drop (1)
 - Arcane Reservoir (2)
 - Seize The Day (1)
Eternal Flame (2)
The Captain (9)
 - Patron's Blessing (1)
Carlos Vasquez (9)
 - Stunt Double (1)
Myranda (8)
 - Imbued Energies (1)
Union Steamfitter (6)
Performer (5)
Arcane Effigy (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

On 8/1/2018 at 2:44 AM, bluepanther said:

Declared Faction: Arcanists 
Crew Name: Kaeris Golem 50ss 
Leader: Kaeris - Cache:(5)
   Seize the Day 1ss 
   Grab and Drop 1ss 
   Blinding Flame 1ss 
Malifaux Child 2ss 
Carlos Vasquez 9ss 
   Stunt Double 1ss 
Fire Golem 9ss 
   Well Rehearsed 1ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Blood Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Doom Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Nemesis Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Arcane Effigy 4ss 
Fire Gamin 4ss

For that crew I prefer change the Fire Golem for the Medical, and Well Rehearsed for Warding Runes on Carlos to make him a rock (Well is only for living models so is useless for the Golem and probabli most time you have him on the frontline and no friendly models at 3"), G&D is one of the best attacks in the game, this crew probably works.

Carlos is so tanky but maybe with the markers and the Oxfordians you can take Fitzsimmons because his aura are so good.

2 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Anyone else found Grab and Drop to be problematic with the Fire Golem? Removing the burning is non optional, so you basically want to never ever activate the Golem within 6" of Kaeris with that upgrade

And YES you NEVER wants activate the Fire Golem near Kaeris or you was autofucked. :P

14 hours ago, Fictor said:

And YES you NEVER wants activate the Fire Golem near Kaeris or you was autofucked. :P

Yea I realized that during my first game with Kaeris, after deployment haha. Had to think about positioning a lot more than anticipated.

Also, good catch that Well Rehearsed does nothing for the Golem, I missed that 

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I had my first game with Heat wave Kaeris. And it was a disaster 😂. I would like to share my experience here just to emphasize some things other players should pay attention to.

In my list I had Kaeris (with HW, Flaming angel and Seize the day), three mages, Fire Golem, Fitz, Carlos and the totem. I was playing against Von Schill in Public executions. Among other things, my opponent had :

1. Anna Lovelace: bad news, because of her aura, I couldnt push with Flaming Angel and got stuck where she wasnt supposed to :)

2. Sue with the neg flip aura to Ca: pretty hard to apply burning. Thank god I managed to get initiative in turn 2, meaning the aura wasnt up, but a black joker ruined my day...

3. It turns out that, with the steamtrunk, you can also remove burning from Carlos and the Golem! And the flip is not even resisted: you just need to discard a card to do it. Hence, my two "tanks" were pretty fragile

In short, Kaeris had a pretty bad day.

Anyway, this list can surely be approved. I realized several of my models needed to discard cards: Carlos at the end of the turn, the Golem when he wants to do the nova and the totem to heal. I shouldnt have so many models that discard cards. Public executions maybe wasnt the best strat. I'll have to try again!

• Haha 2

Yeah... Lovelace's aura is pretty effective in lots of GG18, and against a lot of the Arcanist place and move tricks - I had a similar experience last night with Mei Feng.. 

I found myself hoping that stuff that has such a wide area effect might be one of those things that gets toned down in V3 maybe?!  

• Like 1