M2e Kaeris

mythicFOX

Came 3rd at a 28 player single master/faction pool event with kaeris yesterday. Lost on the top table to my mate who i'd practiced the exact same strat and schemes against 2 weeks ago.

Should've totally changed my scheme selection as he knew what i was going to try. 

Still a decent result helped by two of the strats being turf war variants which i think kaeris is very good at.

• Like 1

Will have to go game by game. Can't remember everything but can give you a rundown and have the lists saved.

First game was headhunter. Me and my opponent Lilith took a quick murder me on nekima and him on howard langston. Also both took hunting party.

My List was Kaeris Purifying Fire, Arcane resevoir and I think blinding flame.

Howard langston, Blessed of december and sabertooth cerberus with imbued energies on the leapers.

Firestarter, arcane effigy and malifaux child.

Won 6-4 got 3 for quick muredr with blessed and cerberus turn 2 plus 1 for hunting party and 2 for the strat my opponent only picked up strat points.

• Like 1

I do like Kaeris, took her (almost) fixed list to a standard tourney in January and came 4th (damn you RJ init reflip)

before I never thought she was competitive but really enjoyed playing her all day and the list did well, apart from Joss totally failing me in all 3 games.

Game 2. Guard the Stash,Flank, Convict Labour, Take Prisoner, Exhaust their Forces, Inspection, Search The Ruins

Took Kaeris, Purifying Fire, Arcane resevoir, Blinding Flame.

Joss Imbued energies, Sabertooth, Imbued energies, Malifaux child, Mech Rider, Arcane effigy, Hoarcat pride

Up against one of my clubmates playing Sonnia Criid with no papa but brutal emmisary and effigy an austringer and a few other bits and pieces.

I took Take prisoner on the brutal effigy and I think inspection although couldve been search the ruins whichever one needs you to have 3 scheme markers within 6"of the centre line with an extra point if you have two in the other players half.

I won 10-3 my opponent got 2 for the scheme marker scheme and 1 for the strat and failed to take my mech rider prisoner he only had his effigy left at the end.

My opponent Managed to get Joss down to 1 wound with his peackeeper flurrying so Joss had a go back then an austringer walked within range to do a raptor attack without randomizing but I was able to prevent all damage with a stone then reactivate and kill the peacekeeper, then kaeris healed him back to 5 wounds with purifying fire. Also Sonnia managed a red joker prevention flip vs a cerberus attack that had flipped severe!

• Like 1

Game 3. Extraction, Corner, CL, Show of force, Hunting Party, Public Demonstration, Set up.

Played on the top table against a Ten thunders mccabe crew.

I took Hunting party and Set up on Toshiro. He took show of force and Hunting party.

I won 9-6 scoring full for hunting party and the strat but only 2 points for setup. My opponent getting 3 points for show of force 1 for hunting party and 2 for the strat.

He Killed mech rider turn 1 with a reactivating loneswordsman who died from burning that turn then turn 2 tried to charge langston with mccabe but black jokered the horror Duel.

My List was Kaeris, Arcane resevoir, Purifying Fire, Blinding flame

Howard langston, Cerberus IE, Mech Rider, arcane effigy, hoarcat pride, malifaux child.

Think he had, Mccabe, Toshiro with summoning upgrade, Sensei Yu, Illuminated, Lones swordsman with recalled training and a kamaitachi?

• Like 1

Game 4 top table vs another club mate, We played a practice game about 2 weeks before him with a different master.

Interference, Standard, CL, Exhaust their forces, Show of force, Catch and release, Occupy their turf.

Previously I had won with Convict Labor and Occupy their Turf but thought I'd swap convict labor for catch and release but probably should have switched tactics completely as again my opponent targeted the mech rider early to stop me dropping out extra minions to score with.

List was Kaeris with Grab and drop, arcane resevoir and blinding flame.

Arcane effigy, malifaux child, 2x Hoarcat Prides, 2x fire gamin, mech rider, cerberus can't remember if it had imbued energies.

Ended up an 8-5 loss, I was close to just quitting as turn 2 seemed like every important flip we made my opponent beat me by just enough to stop me from even being able to cheat from my hand but stuck it out and managed to deny 2 start points and get myself 2 start points 1 for occupy their turf and 2 for catch and release.

Ended up 3rd on vp diff below my two club mates.

Was a good tournament and both players that I hadn't played before gave me a good challenge and both finished well with 2 wins and a draw each.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any success with the emissary/flaming conflux? It seems so good, but I found it to create activation order issues in a crew already nearly crippled with activation order issues. The extra burning for minions is nice of course, but comes with a cost. 

The only time it was really handy was for a turn 1 truth in flames from a flare, but the rail golem vent can set that up just as easily.

The dream of course is that Kaeris jumps into a pile of enemies, flares, burns/immolates some stuff, flashes accelerant, then grabs and drops out of there (possibly running an extra square, and ideally backed up by the firestarter twirling his cans). I haven't had the opportunity to do that over several games. 

I think it's one of the best master specific upgrades for the arcane emissary and can really open up Kaeris. It's true she can run into activation issues, but honestly it's worth the setup as Kaeris has some pretty incredible (0) actions. The extra burning for minions is kind of meh considering she has pretty easy access to powered by flame, but its basically just a small bonus on an already good upgrade. 

The emissary itself seems to be a natural fit with Kaeris. Being able to fly with it's 10" charge is amazing - especially since it can fly over just about anything with Ht3 and remove markers, while also dropping one itself. Alternately being able to heal can really keep this guy going for a good long time. Add in some burning synergy and I think it's one of the real standout winners for Kaeris compared to other masters.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having my first game as Kaeris today (I started painting her, but I`ll play Vassal until next week, when I have a painted crew)

The strats are:

Extraction
Standard Deployment

Search The Ruins
A Quick Murder
Convict Labor
Leave Your Mark
Hunting Party

The List is:

Kaeris:

Arcane Reservoir

Blinding Flame (I don`t know about that yet)

Grab and Drop (helps with markers)

Eternal Flame (I want to play with it a bit until I go for Malifaux Child)

Arcane Effigy (4 SS minion with condition removal and improves Kaeris immolate)

Gunsmith (thematic, wanna see how they work)

Howard Langston (good for A Quick Murder and Hunting Party)

Imbued Energies  (better for A Quick Murder and Hunting Party)

Johan (mixed feelings)

Bleeding Edge Tech (more mixed feelings)

The Firestarter (general scheme runners and helps with Hunting Party)

Imbued Energies (just in case)

Any ideas to convince me with the mixed feeling stuff ;)

I will likely face Lucius Neverborn. I would prefer not to use models from other Crewboxes except Kaeris (I have Miss Step so Howard won`t be an issue)

I've never really been a bleeding edge tech fan, but I certainly don't see much use for it here. 

My view is that you are not going to get a huge use out of Wings of flame. Take a Union miner rather than the gunsmith if you want to set your own things on fire. (I've still not used the firestarter, so that might change things up, but I think he also has other uses for his AP. ). Plus I'm with Mythic fox on Gunsmiths. They just don't perform for me. 

I`ll reconsider the Bleeding Edge Tech. How about Johan himself? Maybe just add Imbued Energies no 3. on him?

I read the Gunsmith discussion here and while I agree that having 2 might be overkill, but I`d like to test them to form my own opinion.

I did not order the Union Miners and I would like to play with the miniatures I currently posses before I start venturing into the depths of the M&SU ;)

So Im gathering my Kaeris crew together but has come to a halt in buying stuff (zero games played with her so far). 

What I have so far:

Kaeris crew

Malifaux Child

Gunsmiths

Metal Gamin 

Johan

Now im swaying back and forth on the Railgolem, Mechrider, or just buying the Ramos-box for Howard and Joss... Any tips?

bleeding edge tech is really good actually even with few or even no constructs. just for the 0 for joss when he has no other. with it I have killed bete (no burying for you on :-fate), completely shut down a nico summoning party in reconnoiter and screwed up various other casters.

just double (or triple in nicos case through dropping imbued energies) to engage a caster so they cannot easily cast or walk away makes this a worthwhile upgrade and I often use joss with this in my kaeris crew for it (and the healing my gamin).

On 4/7/2016 at 3:15 AM, GrimmMJ said:

Why the spiders?

Kaeris' best schtick is throwing out lots of scheme markers. Lots of them inevitably end up in the wrong place, but near the action. Large arachnids eat them for positive flips on attack and damage flips, and they have a very good damage track. Once they've eaten a couple scheme markers, there should be plenty of scrap around for them to eat, so you aren't really handicapping your crew in terms of scheme markers.

Large arachnids also make great use out of bleeding edge tech and powered by flame. Angelica with practiced production does a great job of negating their speed issues, and giving you better scheme marker placement (or alternatively, the Captain who is great in Kaeris crews).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, my last game was moved. Today we are playing Vassal and saturday I have a game vs Tara.

Today I play Neverborn Lucius.

Extraction
Standard Deployment

Search The Ruins
A Quick Murder
Convict Labor
Leave Your Mark
Hunting Party

Arcanists
50ss Crew

Kaeris -- 4ss
 +Arcane Reservoir - 2ss
 +Blinding Flame - 1ss
 +Purfying Flame - 1ss

Eternal Flame - 2ss

Arcane Effigy - 4ss

Gunsmith - 7ss

Howard Langston - 12ss
 +Imbued Energies - 1ss

Mechanical Rider - 12ss

The Firestarter - 7ss
 +Imbued Energies - 1ss

Also, a question, as its my first game:

:tome Engulf: After applying Burning, the target suffers damage equal to its
Burning Condition value and then removes the Burning Condition.

Radiance: Models which are damaged by one of this
model's Attack Actions must discard a card after the current Action is resolved or
gain the Burning +1 Condition

Does Radiance work when I use Engulf with Flaming Halo?

48 minutes ago, trikk said:

Yes damage from triggers are part of the attack action. But note that the burning from Radiance will come after Engulf resolves so it isn't resolved at that time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, trikk said:

:tome Engulf: After applying Burning, the target suffers damage equal to its
Burning Condition value and then removes the Burning Condition.

Radiance: Models which are damaged by one of this
model's Attack Actions must discard a card after the current Action is resolved or
gain the Burning +1 Condition

Yes, that should work, they are damaged by the attack action. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trikk said:

OK, my last game was moved. Today we are playing Vassal and saturday I have a game vs Tara.

Today I play Neverborn Lucius.

Extraction
Standard Deployment

Search The Ruins
A Quick Murder
Convict Labor
Leave Your Mark
Hunting Party

Arcanists
50ss Crew

Kaeris -- 4ss
 +Arcane Reservoir - 2ss
 +Blinding Flame - 1ss
 +Purfying Flame - 1ss

Eternal Flame - 2ss

Arcane Effigy - 4ss

Gunsmith - 7ss

Howard Langston - 12ss
 +Imbued Energies - 1ss

Mechanical Rider - 12ss

The Firestarter - 7ss
 +Imbued Energies - 1ss

How did it go?

Better than expected. I took that crew.

Opponent had Neverborn Lucius with Wings of Darkness, Secret Assets and Surprisingly Loyal.

Primordial Magic

2x Illuminated

Beckoner

Doppelganger

2x Gupps

Lawyer

I took Hunting Party and Leave your Mark.

Opponent took Set Up and Leave your Mark I believe

Turn 1

I have a really bad hand (I don`t Stone for cards now). Kaeris walks and creates Pyre markers. Tries to hit Gupps. Firestarter goes on a lone flank. Other stuff moves up. Kaeris is lured by Beckoner, but the Eternal Flame manages to move the Pyre Marker so that it block LOS from Kaeris to the enemy crew. Lucius red Jokers the sniper on my gunsmith leaving him on 1 Wd left. Illuminated kills the Gunsmith but gets charged by Howard (and I whiff everything). Kaeris is down to 10 Wds (got hit for 3, got healed by 1)

Turn 2

I win Initiative and Howard flurries the Illuminated, decapitating him first strike (1 VP for Hunting Party). Then moves to engage the doppelganger. Kaeris gets Brillianced by Beckoner. Doppelganger copies Howard attack and smacks him 3 times leaving him on 3 Wds.

Kaeris uses Flare and Illuminated is on fire. Then she hits him 3 times and kills him to my surprise. Firestarter uses reckless and puts a scheme marker for LYM. 

Rider creates a Metal Gamin. We both score for Extraction with same amount of models. I forgot to remove the scheme marker for LYM.

VP 2:1

Turn 3

I lose initiative after Doppel cheating, me stoning and him stoning. Doppelganger finishes Howard off and blocks the path to the Extraction Marker. I get 4 cards from Imbued Energies (this thing should be Cuddled to rare 1 or something).

Mech Rider pushes, creates a fire gamin and charges and kills gupps after they activated. Kaeris Kills a Lawyer, Firestarter puts 2 burning and reduces Beckoner to 2 Wds (I used both Reckless and Imbued Energies)

Fire Gamin hits the Doppelganger and Red Jokers the damage, Metal Gamin kills Gupps with 2 attacks (2 moderate) and Arcane charges and kills burning 2 Wds Dopelganger.  

Kaeris pushes Lucius back with Blinding flame so he can`t charge and has to walk to the middle

We call it a game since there`s Lucius and Primordial left.

I have to say that after switching from maining Guild this is both superfun and feels quite easy with all the Imbued Energies, Arcane Reservoirs.

Tomorrow I`m playing another game vs Tara

Corner Deployment

Guard the Stash

Convict Labour
Hunting Party
Leave Your Mark
Inspection
A Quick Murder