M2e Kaeris

mythicFOX

With Carlos it might see a bit more use, as you could use its Pyre Marker movement ability without having to take Purifying Flames on Kaeris.  It makes a nice scheme runner under Grab & Drop, since you can set it on fire and just have it double walk to turn the fire into a Scheme Marker 12" up the field.  Most of the time I'm taking the Malifaux Child though, to get more people on fire.

2 hours ago, Fazza92 said:

Hello guys,It's arrived just now my Kaeris fluo crew with Miss step!!

I build it,and I've a question,or two:

eternal flame has very good stats,for 2 SS,but are it used ?I no see trick with Kaeris and it's crew (unless the pyre marker upgrade for Kaeris)...

Same question for the fire starter...is he good only in scheme that need scheme markers(imbued energies+suffers damage at start of it's activation)..?

I use Eternal Flame in Kaeris crews that use constructs. Being able to repair Joss, Miss Step, or a Large Steam Arachnid is very useful. They tend to get a little banged up during play. Who am I kidding with "banged up"? Opponents who have seen what Miss Step (Howard Langston) can do will try to kill it as fast as they can. There won't be half measures when it comes to killing him, but if they fall short, being able to repair him is really nice. It's also 2 stones for an activation in a crew that is picky about sequencing, which is a good thing because it gives you a better chance of your plan working.

The Firestarter also does well in schemes that require being places (Undercover Entourage), provided you do not burn yourself too much with the Reckless ability getting into your opponent's deployment zone. Since he's not really distracted by an attack action that does immediate damage, he's good for darting in and giving things scheme-related conditions (Accused in GG2017, Exhausted in GG2016, Curse Object). His ability to claim responsibility if something burns to death near him can also be useful if it comes up, but I've not had much luck in kicking that off.

Most people go with Malifaux child for Kaeris but I've recently used a lot of the EF simply because I've been playing Purifying Kaeris with Carlos and Love the pyre movement + healing potential. 

As far as Firestarter, he is hands down one the best scheme runner for his points in the faction. wk 5 flying with reckless and can use soulstones in a pinch means that on a board crowded with awkward terrain he's gonna be free to move and drop scheme markers your opponents will have trouble accessing. 

Thank you.

I play Kaeris last Friday vs Seamus.

I won 4/3 only because we've finished on third turn.

The strategy was Head Hunter(bad for She but I want try it).

I play collect the bounty and hunting party with a crew composed by:

Kaeris with grab and drop and trigger for immolate

Firestarte with imbued energies

miss Step with imbued energies

3 fire gamin

1 eternal flame

1 emissary 

I used emissary and Miss step to make the huntin party and the gamin for claim jump.

I try to use Kaeris and Firestarter to spread burning with bad results...

Is better go directly with scheme ignoring the burning with they?

Also I cannot understand the flaming con flux of the emissary...

If I start with emissary Kaeris can perform 2 ,0 action ,but emissary cannot fly...

If start with Kaeris,She cannot use the buff for emissary...

3 hours ago, Fazza92 said:

If I start with emissary Kaeris can perform 2 ,0 action ,but emissary cannot fly...

Models other than Kaeris can set fire to the Emissary, so it can potentially fly before Kaeris activates if you want it to. 

17 hours ago, Adran said:

Models other than Kaeris can set fire to the Emissary, so it can potentially fly before Kaeris activates if you want it to. 

16 hours ago, Fazza92 said:

So I can use Firestarter to do this Job,true?

The Firestarter certainly can. I've had a great deal of fun using the Rail Golem's pulse burning effect on my own guys at the top of Turn 1 to get plenty of movement out of all of them. If you have a model or upgrade that gives out burning, you can use it on yourself. Your only limitation is how much are you willing to hurt yourself or otherwise risk. If you don't mind taking a point or two of damage, Fire Gamin can light your guys on fire in a pinch.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:44 AM, Fazza92 said:

The worst part of all this is that you generally want to activate Kaeris early to use some Grab n' Drop and throw fire on some people, and you don't want to use the emissary until something pertinent is in his charge range as 4 inch walk sucks even with flying.  So it is sort of a catch 22 and requires pretty precise levels of planning to make it all work out. When it does, it can be real good though. 

I've found this really easy way to set your whole crew on fire.

All you need is:

• Kaeris with G&D
  • Carlos Vasquez with Practiced Production and Stund Double
  • A card with 7+ as backup

How it works:

1. Activate Carlos as first model.
  2. Use Practiced Production to place one scheme marker within 3'' of as many models as possible. Make sure, all models are within :aura6 of Kaeris.
  3. Use the (1) Pyrotechnic Prop to detonate the marker.
  4. Forfeit the Wp flips (or cheat a small :ram, for your Gunsmiths)
  5. Enjoy your burning and flying crew. The scheme markers you drop at the end of every activation provide a great starting point for many schemes. Fast and flying Gunsmiths can move into position and shoot in the first turn. Raptors can drop markers within 16'' (i.e. the center line, enemy half of the table,...).
  6.  If you need/want to move Kaeris use (0) Truth in Flame to extinguish the models that have not activated and draw cards.

You can even use this trick to heat a Rail Golem. For maximum effect use The Captain and his (1) Airburst (best with the :ram-trigger) to push the Rail Golem out of Kaeris :aura and enjoy your rampage with burning 5.

I haven't tried Kaeris with Purifying Flame yet, but the potential healing could help to heal the damage Alpha Strikes.

Did I miss anything? Does it work that well for you?

• Like 2

So I had my first game with GG2017 and it was Kaeris vs Resser Yan Lo, strategy was Headhunter and Schemes were Claim Jump, Accusation!, Leave Your Mark, Hunting Party, and Last Stand.  I took Leave Your Mark (Carlos and Firestarter tag teamed it for an easy 3) and Hunting Party (Carlos, Envy, and the Emissary made it an easy 3 as well) and my opponent went for Accusation! and Last Stand.  Turns out Yan Lo can do Last Stand really easily!  The game ended 9-9 (he denied me a Head and I denied him an Accusation!).  Things I've learned from the game: Carlos is a beast.  It took my opponent a dedicated beatdown to take him out and even then not until the end of turn 4 (where he was ready to heal 5 if he didn't die), and he killed a fair bit in the meantime, plus Practiced Productions on him means I don't need Cassie.  Envy is strong at range but really doesn't handle tough melee monsters, may have to try swapping him for a Gunsmith again in the future.  The Large Arachnid is an awesome tank and his Torn To Shreds condition is awesome for helping your beaters with anti-armor.

I'm still not confident I *get* Kaeris.  I played her way more active than I usually do but she still spent a lot of her activations either walking or doing support (turn 1 used Instinctual to combo her (0)'s for an extra 3 cards, move [still within 6" of Envy and Large Arachnid] and set those two on fire, turn 2 double walked and picked up a Head, turn 3 set Yin on fire and brought her down low, turn 4 use G&D to kill Yin, get out of engagement, and grab a Head, and turn 5 G&D'd to move and kill the resummoned Yin and leave a head for Firestarter to grab).

My list was Kaeris (Blinding Flame, G&D, Seize The Day), Carlos (PP, Stunt Double), Firestarter (IE), Emissary (Flaming Conflux), Envy, Large Arachnid, Child, 5ss.  I don't remember what my opponent's upgrades were but he brought Yan Lo, Toshiro, Yin, Izamu, 2 Komianu, and the Soul Porter.  The Komianu got killed real early by Envy and the Emissary, and the Soul Porter suicided to give my opponent the easy Last Stand requirements.

Considering the strats, schemes, and enemy faction, what do you all think of the list I brought?  How would you have changed it?  The biggest problem I had was solid melee damage, I killed Yin but Yan Lo, Izamu, and Toshiro were nowhere near in any danger throughout the game.

• Like 1

@retnab to be fair, not much can kill Yan Lo once he powers up and Yin & Izamu are each a pain to deal with in their own way, not to mention being healed and/or resummoned. 

You had an easy time securing Leave Your Mark and Hunting Party and could have done Claim Jump with your eyes closed so I think your list is totally fine. Rather than critique the list, consider the game flow and choices made in game once schemes were revealed.

Once your opponent reveals Last Stand and Accusation, I might focusing on killing off my own models. You wouldn't drop heads and your opponent didn't take Hunting Party, so it's not a liability for those. Both the Malifaux Child and Arachnid are now expendable, while The Firestarter doesn't add much once he's secured Leave Your Mark (IE + Reckless do it in record time and helps wound himself in the process).

One weird quirk is that Kaeris can efficiently use Grab and Drop to kill her friends since cheating their Ht duel with a low card basically yields 5 or 6 damage outright. This would almost oneshot the Arachnid, Firestarter, Envy or Malifaux Child for example or could take out anyone else who's low on wounds. It also solves tarpitting issues (Izamu/Yin are annoying to get away from with Walk actions) so getting to place 7" away for (0) and picking up a Heads and/or double or triple Walking away is going to work wonders for Kaeris.

Consider when you used Grab and Drop against Yin two turns running - if you instead used this spell on a friendly model in each of these turns, you'd be two model counts lower, potentially denying  Heads, Accusation targets and Last Stand.

It's easy to reflect on these kinds of things after games, though. I understand it's hard to pick up on these little interactions and choices during a complex game like this one. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

Once your opponent reveals Last Stand and Accusation, I might focusing on killing off my own models. You wouldn't drop heads and your opponent didn't take Hunting Party, so it's not a liability for those. Both the Malifaux Child and Arachnid are now expendable, while The Firestarter doesn't add much once he's secured Leave Your Mark (IE + Reckless do it in record time and helps wound himself in the process).

One weird quirk is that Kaeris can efficiently use Grab and Drop to kill her friends since cheating their Ht duel with a low card basically yields 5 or 6 damage outright. This would almost oneshot the Arachnid, Firestarter, Envy or Malifaux Child for example or could take out anyone else who's low on wounds. It also solves tarpitting issues (Izamu/Yin are annoying to get away from with Walk actions) so getting to place 7" away for (0) and picking up a Heads and/or double or triple Walking away is going to work wonders for Kaeris.

At one of the two day tournaments I attended last year, one of the podium matches featured the Arcanist player doing something along these lines: killing their own models to deny Take Prisoner/Exhaust. In GG2017, if you know your opponent has schemes that require you outnumbering them and keeping conditioned models on the table, nuke your own stuff--ideally in a way that can score you points. Firestarter can reckless himself to death, just make sure he activates on one wound for that. I love the idea of G&D versus your own models to cheat down for the differential-based damage.

2 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

I love the idea of G&D versus your own models to cheat down for the differential-based damage.

Yeah, it's legit. You cheat your lowest card for the target and any card 3-6 higher than that for Kaeris, depending on how much damage you need to do. Have a spare 3 and 7 in hand? That's one dead Malifaux Child right there, even if the initial flips are awful, for cards that were unlikely to change much. 

5 hours ago, hydranixx said:

One weird quirk is that Kaeris can efficiently use Grab and Drop to kill her friends since cheating their Ht duel with a low card basically yields 5 or 6 damage outright.

Grab & Drop is "target enemy model". Otherwise it would be an amazing way to move your own models around as it doesn't have a TN and relenting would mean 0 damage.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bengt said:

Grab & Drop is "target enemy model". Otherwise it would be an amazing way to move your own models around as it doesn't have a TN and relenting would mean 0 damage.

That's why I love the idea.. but yeah. Got to stick to things that can happen (Ramos detonating Joss or an Oxfordian Mage furious casting on Ironsides to stop Take Prisoner, for instance).

Hi guys,I've a question for you...

I play Kaeris only 3 times...each time with Miss Step like hard hitter,beacause I think that she requires an high hitter...

But what do you think of The Captain with Kaeris?

He do less damage than Miss Step,and he's less resistant.

But his Airbust ability is very good(the trigger that put the burning+2 is good against enemy and allies if you've Grab and drop)...

What do you think?

I like the captain alright but I play him with more with her Purifying Flames, as it increases the amount of space she can block off on the board. Also, if you know you are playing vs constructs he's a solid pick. Without the + to attack and damage from the Relic Hammer he doesn't hit as hard as Howard/Step though. 

I see him as a support piece more than a heavy hitter and that's pretty expensive for 12SS