M2e Kaeris

mythicFOX

OK,

Played 2 more games. Vs Tara and Pandora. 

I won with Tara and the Pandora game was inconclusive (he forgot to Fears Given Forms his own models, but he`s a young kid and I take it as a mistake and not intetional behoviour)

I have the same list:

Kaeris -- 4ss
 +Arcane Reservoir - 2ss
 +Blinding Flame - 1ss
 +Purfying Flame - 1ss // Grab and Drop - 1SS

Eternal Flame - 2ss

Arcane Effigy - 4ss

Gunsmith - 7ss

Howard Langston - 12ss
 +Imbued Energies - 1ss

Mechanical Rider - 12ss

The Firestarter - 7ss
 +Imbued Energies - 1ss

Conclussions:

Eternal Flame requires Puryfying flame, the lone discard-heal is not enough. It can drop markers with Grab and Drop but so can everything else.

Kaeris - does resonable damage, I like her although I have no idea how to play her :D

Arcane Effigy - I forget to accomplice a lot of times and its hard to get the Condition removal, but I deparalyzed Kaeris once and its a 4SS significant minion with an Annoying master buff.

Gunsmith - not impressed right now even when I hit 6 damage on Pandora turn 1. I think when you have  fast its a lot better to go walk+focus+shoot, especially with blasts/damage spread. If they had a better base damage spread I`d like them. On the other hand I had fast once and they didn`t really get hit so I might give them a run.

Homing Langston - the offered board control is insane. I almost managed to kill pandora (2x decapitate, once used last 2SS, once BJ for damage and she was on 1 dmg). Really happy with her (Miss Step)

Firestarter - He`s worth 2 scheme runners but I find him a lot better. Potential 4 AP, flight. Another model I won`t like parting with.

Mechanical Rider - I like her in Leave your mark. I usually rush her a turn too early, but its definitely cool.

Currently I own:

Kaeris box, Mech Rider, Arcane Effigy, Miss Step, Gunsmiths.

I`m painting Johana.

What should I expand next? Acolytes? Some Beasts? Joss? Some Spiders? Ironsides box?

The fluff gamer in me cringes at the thought of december models in a burning themed list, but it's hard to deny how awesome acolytes are. That being said, I probably wouldn't bring both acolytes and gunsmiths in the same list. 

I would actually recommend the Arachnid swarms as another potential include. They are great anti-scheme runners and with Kaeris' healing, they are pretty scary threats. Add in powered by flame and they can dish out a lot of potential burning via their free attack trigger. 

I would go Gunsmith vs Arcanists/Ressers for ignore Htw and HtK and Acolyte vs rest. 

I don`t like the rail worker models, so I think they`re far down the list.

I wanted Ironsides for the Captain (mostly) and the mages (in addition) and want to play Ironsides next.

From a buyers perspective, Sabertooth would be better bought with Marcus, right? So I`ll wait that one out.

This leaves with: Willie, Acolytes, Ramos, Ironsides, Metal Gamin, Rail Golem.

What about Hoarcats? Molemen? Are they worthwile outside of Marcus?

1 hour ago, trikk said:

From a buyers perspective, Sabertooth would be better bought with Marcus, right? So I`ll wait that one out.

Just to say that I think the sabretooth is solid with any master, and I know a  lot of people that use Myranda to turn into a cat, so owning 2 when you buy the Marcus box isn't a bad thing. But then I really like the leaping missile of death

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trikk said:

What about Hoarcats? Molemen? Are they worthwile outside of Marcus?

They are definitely worth it. It sort of depends on how your list is setup though. You could get a lot of work out of a steam arachnid if your running "powered by flame" and/or "bleeding edge tech" The same goes for a metal gamin, however they can be somewhat slow if they are not magnetizing around.

Hoarcats are great models and they have some slight synergy with Kaeris. Using her accelerant power, models can potentially paralyze, setting them up to be devoured. Personally I haven't ever had this ability go off with the hoarcats since their normal attack is usually the better way to go. I know you mentioned not liking rail workers, but honestly they're probably a much better fit at 5ss than the kittens. 

Molemen are awesome. Kaeris can set them up amazingly using grab and drop. Having one moleman double walk and drop a marker sets up the other to teleport, double walk and drop a marker. That will basically put them on the other side of the board on turn two. Also their armor makes them decent targets for healing, making them pretty damn tanky. 

13 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Hoarcats benefit more from flight with Kaeris than they do from anything Marcus does for them. They're deceptively durable and hard hitting, and work well with the activation order shenanigans Kaeris tends to use (set up stuff with early activations, do stuff with late activations).

You got me on the last point. Could you elaborate.

You mean Kaeris sets up stuff with Wings of Flame/Flaming Halo or something else? I`m kinda new to her and I usually just have her poke a bit with Flaming Halo/Immolate and then go to CC with the addition of Flare. I think Flare and Pyre Markers are the only (0) I use (didn`t use G&D yet, but didn`t have the occasion)

On 2016-04-26 at 4:08 PM, Griffin839 said:

I'm loving wings of fire off the grab and drop upgrade with the rail golem and firestarter. It so easy to send the golem on a murderous killing spree.

Moving your own golem with Grab and Drop? Sneaky! Ill try that on monday when im having my first game with the Golem.

1 minute ago, GrimmMJ said:

Moving your own golem with Grab and Drop? Sneaky! Ill try that on monday when im having my first game with the Golem.

Grab & Drop sadly only targets enemy models but the wings of flame portion of it can really make a model fly down the table (quite literally).

Personally I prefere my Golem to be locomotioning, so don't want it to lose its Burning. I typically want it to have 2-3 burnign on it by the time I go for the kill, as then its going to be doing 5 damage for weak on its locomotion attacks, (2 burning is enough for this, but if you miss an attack you lose the burning If you were near enough to have been able to chareg on the turn, that ought to be enough burning that you are fine. 

The Value of flight does depend hugely on the board layout. Some times it is really good, but very often it doesn't help my movement at all. 

I'm probably too aggressive with my rail golem but I love it. I'll take imbued energies on it and turn 1 use the firestarter to stack 4-6 burning on it.  Now with wings of fire it has flight. I activate it, pop imbued energies for fast, and fly over to the biggest threat to the rail golem in the opponents crew, get into melee of it and whack it until it's dead. Now it ends its activation and drops a scheme marker and they have a rail golem they can't easily kill right up on them. My local ressur players hate this. They have to summon students of steel and waste so much AP as they aren't online yet. It's awesome.

If you don't have the suits to pull it off you can move kaeris so he loses flying and keeps his burning. It's just as effective turn 2 and will probably free up an AP as they are that much closer.

On 4/27/2016 at 11:41 PM, trikk said:

You got me on the last point. Could you elaborate.

You mean Kaeris sets up stuff with Wings of Flame/Flaming Halo or something else? I`m kinda new to her and I usually just have her poke a bit with Flaming Halo/Immolate and then go to CC with the addition of Flare. I think Flare and Pyre Markers are the only (0) I use (didn`t use G&D yet, but didn`t have the occasion)

There's a big difference between Grab and Drop Kaeris and Purifying Fire Kaeris. G&D Kaeris often spends an activation or two setting up burning around Kaeris (ideally not Kaeris herself), then you move out. With hoarcats, that means you keep up manipulative longer, then they should have flight, which removes one of the biggest issues with Hoarcats. If you have Angelica (and why wouldn't you - G&D almost demands you take practiced production in your crew), the Hoarcats can move surprisingly fast.

I have a question about G&D action.

If we tie I place model abd deal no dmg

If I win by 1 I place the model and deal 1 dmg (or I deal 0 dmg and start dealing if I win by 3?)

If I win by 7 I deal 6 dmg and place the model.

Correct?

Falling (from the rules manual)

Models moving off elevations and falling suffer no damage if the fall was 2” or less.
If the fall was more than 2” the fall deals 1 damage per 1”, or fraction thereof, fallen.

So if you tie on Grab and drop, you drop them from ht 0, and place them (As you won the duel you get to do the effects of winning). If you win by 2, you drop them from 2" as well as place them, so they won't suffer damage. 

If you win by 3 you drop them 3" as well as the place, so they will take 3 damage. 

Otherwise correct

• Like 1

I do have a couple of questions about Kaeris tactics:

Wings of Fire:

Since the aura is pretty small (6") when I start I go Flare, Walk and then I don`t really know what I should do with the remaining 2 AP. I go Defensive Stance but maybe you have some model synergies that would make up for a better opening.

G&D vs Puryfying flame:

When do you thing PF is better than G&D. The Pyre Markers seem cool but they are 6" away and Eternal Flame can only move 1 of them. Any suggestions?

Personally when I wings of Fire, I try and not use Kaeris to do the burning. 

Firestarter, Union Miners and Malifaux child will all allow you to set fire to things before you have to activate Kaeris, so they can start within 6" of her and wander off to drop markers before Kaeris starts. 

Purifyign flame has 2 things. It offers soem board control, in the form of the pyre markers, and it offers in crew healing. There are times that this can keep a tough model up and running through a huge beating. I had a model survive 4 turns of Fransisco thanks to healing its burning, and its high defence in one game. (Plus having the card in my hand 2 turns running that was enough to put my df 1 higher than Fransico could cheat his attack)

with her range I actually like to flaming halo my gunsmiths to get them fast (if I have low rams in hand) and with blinding flame I can push them 3" as well.

turn 2 moving kaeris forwards is not a great hardship as with range 12 usually 1 walk gets her into the action by that point if she even needs that.

Try your hardest not to have Kaeris do the burning, particularly if your opponent has lure. Had one game where I flared Kaeris, then she got lured forward, and not only was my master pulled way ahead, but I burned the rest of my crew. 

Malifaux child is very good at getting two burning. 

Firestarter, Captain and Union Miners are other good choices.