Malifaux Mobile App

I don't know if I'm going to update the new version as a update to the on that was on the store or if I'll publish it as a 2.0 app. As for right now, if the app is working for you, I'd keep it. I'll have more info as I get closer to finishing the rewrite.

Just a heads up on my progress last night. I spent most of the night writing a tool to generate model and upgrade info. With the exception of a few outlying rules (jack daw and lazarus), I have model definitions done. I still need to add upgrades and clean up unecessary fields to shrink the data source file a bit more, but the data is allready easier to update and manage.

• Like 4

I'm really hoping I can finish up the tool (just got upgrades left) I'm making to manage the data tonight. After that, it's a simple matter of putting in all the models and upgrades. I did a test run last night and put in just the models from the wave 1 ten thunders deck, and I was able to everything in in about 15 minutes. Once the tool is done I'm going to put in all of wave 1 & 2 outcasts and ten thunders as test data and get started on the app itself. Web version beta (read as very rough and unstyled) will hopefully be able to be available for testing by the end of the weekend (with those 2 factions).

Once the basics are working, I'll start adding other factions and handling any specific issues that arise from those (should hopefully only involve data changes, because ten thunders and outcasts encompass most issues that would require specific coding, with gremlins covering the last few bases I can think of)

Edited by CrouchingMoose
  • Like 9

I'm really hoping I can finish up the tool (just got upgrades left) I'm making to manage the data tonight. After that, it's a simple matter of putting in all the models and upgrades. I did a test run last night and put in just the models from the wave 1 ten thunders deck, and I was able to everything in in about 15 minutes. Once the tool is done I'm going to put in all of wave 1 & 2 outcasts and ten thunders as test data and get started on the app itself. Web version beta (read as very rough and unstyled) will hopefully be able to be available for testing by the end of the weekend (with those 2 factions).

Once the basics are working, I'll start adding other factions and handling any specific issues that arise from those (should hopefully only involve data changes, because ten thunders and outcasts encompass most issues that would require specific coding, with gremlins covering the last few bases I can think of)

Hows it going? I'm looking forward to trying out the beta version.

Srry, it's been a bit slow going since I'm having to learn the intricacies of a new library as I go, which while not as fleshed out as I would like, us still incredibly fast for what it does.

So to update what I've gotten done so far, it's not much, but it's impressive to me. Firstly, that old data file I was using, fully compressed, was sitting at about 300+kb in size for all 7 factions. This new format I'm using has shrunk the file to ~20 kb for 2 factions, waves 1 and 2.

Currently, I'm trying to get the list of hireable models to correctly populate for each leader. I'm hoping to finish that up tonight, and then I'll put up what I have so that something can start being tested. After that I'll work on the functionality to actually hire models, then upgrades.

• Like 3

Srry, it's been a bit slow going since I'm having to learn the intricacies of a new library as I go, which while not as fleshed out as I would like, us still incredibly fast for what it does.

So to update what I've gotten done so far, it's not much, but it's impressive to me. Firstly, that old data file I was using, fully compressed, was sitting at about 300+kb in size for all 7 factions. This new format I'm using has shrunk the file to ~20 kb for 2 factions, waves 1 and 2.

Currently, I'm trying to get the list of hireable models to correctly populate for each leader. I'm hoping to finish that up tonight, and then I'll put up what I have so that something can start being tested. After that I'll work on the functionality to actually hire models, then upgrades.

Don't feel you need to rush to get it all done at the demands of the public - I would rather have a working app than a rushed one with flaws :D

It's not that I'm trying to rush to get it out, it's just that even though I'm still in javascript which I'm comfortable with, the new library I'm using (lokijs) is still sort of new and I'm still learning how exactly it works. It's one thing to look at documentation and think you can do one thing, when in reality thats not how it works.

I've mostly worked out the bugs on the basic hiring rules, but now I'm just taking care of little things like seperating the totems and models lists. It's not hard, it's just figuring out the best way to do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

jusr wanted to add another THANK YOU to this list.

im not a programmer in any way and I couldn't even think about doing this kinda stuff. I use the old program and was thrilled with it. 

So, thank you again for the hard work! You make it easier for me (us) to enjoy Malifaux even more!

Gryffen88

Edited by Gryffen88

Yes, thank you so much for this, I am a new player and am so jealous of my more experienced friends who have the ap. I can't wait until it is available. As others have said I would fully be willing to pay for the service it is great from what I've seen and I look forward to seeing the new version. 

Love the app too,  Good to here that theres a v2 coming out. 

One thing I wish you would have done is on the Strategy and Schemes on the Scheme part is to show what cards was flipped and then list the schemes by the symbol of the scheme.   example.   11:ram , 4:mask  :  11 Murder Protege -  :ramBodyguard  -  4 Entourage  -  :maskBreakthrough

• Like 1

I sense it is coming shortly... That's why Moose is so quiet :D

how did you know? I am still working on this and made a lot of progress on the crew creator portion today. Upgrades are fully working (including Jack Daw's silly cursed rules) and I would keep going but my keyboard needs to recharge (charging in its VERTICAL -_- stand as I type this). I've made a list of everything I want to get done over the next couple of days and I think the logic for the crew creator can be done by the end of the week. 

As for peoples' other questions. yes the app will come out for android. In fact the Android update will probably come sooner than iOS just because of Apple's app validation process. I will say that I thought I did list what cards are flipped when you randomly generate a set of stratgey's and schemes, but this does really apply when you manually pick them. If the community would prefer to see them that way, then I'll make the change to show them when manually selecting.

• Like 7