• 4 months later...

I'll allow myself to hijack this topic :D

Has anyone tried to use Hamelin without his Rats, Rat Kings, Obedient Wretch and Rat Catchers?

I'm not really interested in all this Rat-theme but running Hamelin with The Piper upgrade and use Obey heavily is something I find interesting. I consider also running him with Nix as they both are connected fluff wise.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried to use Hamelin without his Rats, Rat Kings, Obedient Wretch and Rat Catchers?

I'm not really interested in all this Rat-theme but running Hamelin with The Piper upgrade and use Obey heavily is something I find interesting. I consider also running him with Nix as they both are connected fluff wise.

I think that might be an overlooked way to play him. Malifaux Child is hands down the key to that build. Another obey, that is (will need a ten to cast). Survivalist will be needed if you want to go without stolen. Pipes are in as always. Then I think there is a toss up between I pay better and the plauge. The former for buffing mercs like a double trapper build, and the latter for draging stuff in. Ala headhunter.

Hopefully this isn't considered threadjacking, and if so I apologize and mods kindly delete/move my post. 

Does anyone else feel guilty sometimes when they run Hamelin against newer players?  I have a pretty good smattering of Outcast masters that I can run, but there are just some strats/schemes that Hamelin is optimized for.  I've been playing him long enough the excessive amount of activations aren't really an issue time-wise anymore.  I just know for newer players dealing with large volumes of models/summoning masters can be extremely challenging and I generally don't have fun in games unless my opponent is too.  FYI I normally run a vanilla Hamelin list with the usual ratcatchers, rats, Nix, etc with an occasional other model (i.e. Killjoy) thrown in.

This is exactly what I have been thinking about. How would Hamelin work without the Rat Factory. The upcoming Brotherhood of the Rat pack seems like a solid purchase though, good looking models, gets the Rat core so I will be getting that most likely. But I would be very interested in how he works with I Pay Better merc force multiplier. Also once he gets some Blighted going he becomes quite formidable in melee. Though will he get the Blighted going without his Rats? 

Also how would he do with the likes of Ama No Zako, Kill Joy etc big monsters. 

I've used him a few times with a gaggle of expensive but hard-hitting Outcasts (Bishop, Taelor, Hans etc) and no initial Rats. It works just fine - models with Relic Hammers and Flurry are particularly fond of him. You'll need Rats, Rat Kings and Ratcatchers anyway, because they start popping up as you kill off the enemy.

Does anyone else feel guilty sometimes when they run Hamelin against newer players?

Not particularly. Hamelin, if anything, can be a bit dull to play against but not particularly brutal. I feel far worse taking Viktoria or Leveticus against a new player - when everything they care about is dead by the end of Turn 2, it's not a fun experience or a good introduction to the tactical beauty of Malifaux.

Am I right in thinking that if I took Kade, Candy, Iggy with Sewer King Hamelin they would not be able to take their usual upgrades e.g. Depression for Kade?

You can only select Upgrades that match the faction of the crew you announced, so yes, you can only use Outcast upgrades

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, im a relatively new player and have just picked up the new Hamelin box, coming from my past love nurgle in 40k and fantasy, Hamelin was perfect when i saw it. Iv just done a few mock lists and havent played yet but in was looking for any advice on my choice in models and upgrades, so here it is.

50ss scrap

5ss pool

Hamelin

- Sewer king 1ss

- The piper 2ss

- The plague 2ss

The stolen 2ss

Crooligan 4ss

Crooligan 4ss

Killjoy 12ss

Malifaux rat 2ss

Malifaux rat 2ss

Malifaux rat 2ss

Nix 8ss

- Infectious melodies 1ss

Obedient wretch  4ss

Any feed back is welcome and im going thematic with Hamelin, I like themed army's  

I've found the best thing about Sewer King Hamelin is not having to focus on making rats...they just happen which is awesome. Not to mention that by having a Rat or Stolen to hand you never have to stone for cards, add in to that the obligatory Killjoy delivery (which you have) from an Infectious Melody rat & your golden.

In this sort of crew I stay away from the Plague & use Survivalist as it's too good to pass up & as Sewer King & Piper you'll be using those actions up on obey so no need to focus on blighted too much.

Personally I've been running Iggy & Baby Kade & they're really nice to have in the crew as Kade always has a buddy in a Rat & Iggy has cool tricks at neat price (& is virtually an auto include if you're facing Tara). 

I would maybe consider starting with less Rats, I like to start with just one, & use the points elsewhere....maybe Oathkeeper on Killjoy :)

Here's my list at this size; 

Hamelin -- 5ss
 +Sewer King - 1ss
 +The Piper - 2ss
 +Survivalist - 1ss

The Stolen - 2ss

Baby Kade - 7ss

Iggy - 5ss

Killjoy - 12ss
 +Oathkeeper - 1ss

Malifaux Rat - 2ss

Nix - 8ss
 +Infectious Melodies - 1ss

Obedient Wretch - 4ss

I'll be picking up some Crooligans like yourself as they're amazing runners for Hamelin

Edited by Couchmonster

Yes....is the only answer to that question.

In my last game my opponent had to try to deal with him & got unlucky in killing him off. Next turn with a card ditch & killing off a Coryphee Duet he was back to full health & wandered up & down the left half of the board killing anything that couldn't get away & effectively forced my opponent into the other half of the board.

The obey from the piper upgrade really helps his mobility also (not to mention can it can generate an extra attack [or two if you trigger onslaught]).

One thing to bear in mind with Killjoy is that your opponent knows it's coming! It's usually best to hide your rats against a range heavy crew as they can pick off your rats & Killjoy's then jogging :(

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite crew list with hamelin is usually something like:

Hamelin (Piper, sewer king, tools of the tyrant)

stolen

crooligan

crooligan

crooligan

baby kade (oath keeper)

Candy (I pay better)

Sue (oath keeper)

Sue and Kade are the main damage dealers, with a well timed throw of oath keeper plus some obey's they can really put the hurt on things.

Hamelin is basically a back field obeying force multiplier that makes the rest of the crew work and throughout the game keeps summoning himself stolen who will usually turn into rats.

Candy is my control piece that will usually try to lock things down and play with the enemy activation order, while crooligans do what crooligans do best, although could swap 1 crooligan out for maybe a winged terror from the new book.

However, I am currently thinking about ditching a crooligan and candy for the emissary instead, he can churn out the scheme markers instead of the crooligans while also handing out some handy trinkets to other members of the crew.

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much for this guide!

It inspired me to get started with Hamelin.  
I've got the Hamelin Crew Box, The Brotherhood of the Rat box, Killjoy, Johana, and Ronin on the way.
In the future, I'll look at Kade and Candy, and maybe a second Brotherhood box if I find I'm needing more than 2 Rat King models.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MR TORGUE said:

Totally read this as Team Rocket at first... Heh, that would make a great theme for a crew. 

Actually, it would be a pretty good theme for a Hamelin crew, seeing as he summons cute little animals to fight for him, they evolve into bigger versions of themselves, he uses kids to do his dirty work...

Maybe Hamelin is actually Professor Oak, hmm?