Malifaux Terrain

Ratty

• 2 months later...

This is an interesting topic, I think its a fine balance to get things just right.  Too much scenery puts shooting elements out of the game, while not enough means they completely rule the roost.  I also think its important that scenery doesn't become too balanced, where no matter how you set up and move, you always have the same options.  I've seen it quite a bit where tables have a piece of scenery literally every 5-6" so every move gets someone behind cover.  Some tables should have open areas you need to sprint across, sometimes a building right in the middle means people will need to fight around it.  I like boards to have a theme to them and look like things make sense.  Id  rather play on a board that looks cool then one that is perfectly "fair" for a one off game, and sometimes that might mean I'm a little up against it whilst other times it will suit me better than my opponent. 

• 1 month later...

I definitely prefer a crowded board to a desolate one regardless of play environment (Casual or competitive).

The GenCon Mercs and Infinity boards for example were amazing and engaging. Each added a tactical challenge to the game and required actual thought in force employment as opposed to the typical "stand and shoot" or "mad dash across the board" that most minis games seem to favor. I especially like boards that can be interacted with, i.e. destroyable terrain (I used the Terraclips Dungeon Rise set Vaults of Ruin to do this toward the end of 1st edition).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...