Yan Lo tactica!

Fenrisian

How about using a Night Terror and Datsue Ba for the 3 Chi (so a total of 5 beginning of T2)?

You still need the Severe for the Night Terror, but pointswise, it's much cheaper than going for 2 Goryo/Goryo & Datsue Ba.

And you'll possibly even have a 'spare' Seishin, if Datsue Ba has Spirit Beacon, too.

• 4 months later...

So I'm thinking about something along the lines of this:

Declared Faction: Resurrectionists 
Crew Name: Yan 50ss 
Leader: Yan Lo - Cache:(4)
   Awakening 1ss 
   Follow Their Footsteps 1ss 
   Reliquary 1ss 
Soul Porter 3ss 
Toshiro 9ss
    Command the Graves 1ss
Asura Roten 8ss 
Carrion Emissary 10ss 
   Ancestral Conflux 0ss 
Night Terror 3ss 
Rotten Belle 5ss 
Crooligan 4ss 
Crooligan 4ss 

Lots of synergy in this list. 

Crooligans and Belle (& Toshiro) can all copy Asura's attacks as well as summoned Zombies and because they're Ml Attacks, Toshiro gives all the minions :+fate to the Undead Minions attack.  Crooligans can also later lower the enemy's Wp for Yan's GLowy mouth attack.

Asura will summon a Mindless Zombie turn 1 (giving me 10 activations), then I'll probably be keeping the Quarantine markers, depending on which is better... The Emissary will be trying to get one each turn from the Shards too.  The MZs will be used to gum up the enemy and do their best to have to be dealt with with extreme prejudice and give me Chi.  Toshiro can also turn their corpses back into Ashigaru.

The Night Terror is the Turn 1 sacrificial lamb, he moves up no more than 7" (or 11 with Soul Porter push) from Yan Lo. Soul Porter pushes Yan, who charges, aiming for severe on the first attack and killing on the second; for a total of 3 Chi T1 with 2AP spent and 10" up the board. He can then walk, take a pot shot at something, Lightning Dance (with Ca 8!), whatever. The Belle can also Lure someone into range too.  He'll either ascend into Ash or Spirit turn depending on what's better.

The Soul Porter (or Belle) will also help move the Emissary up so he'll get Fast when Yan Ascends.

Then T2, Yan will hopefully gain some chi through deaths (GoGo Zombies!) before activating so he can swap into Blood Ascendant to get Casting Expert.  If not, I'll still have 4 Chi after Focus Chi. It just depends if I want Ca5 and Casting Expert or better Ca.  Bone could be an option too (ideally, there's lots of death and I can get both!).  Then go from there...

Turn 1 summary

• burn activations with Asura, MZ, Crooligans in any order, Night Terror moves up
  • Toshiro gives Belle Fast
  • Belle moves up either Lures enemy (maybe twice!) or Lures up Emissary & Yan
  • Soul Porter gives Yan a push and walks
  • Yan does his Schtick
  • Emissary (with Fast) does stuff

This plan is very basic and flexible. If there's a good choke point or LoS corridor that needs blocking, the Emissary might go first.  Alternatively, I could play more cagey and hang back, Luring something into my deathtrap.

Cards required Turn 1:

• 1 card discard for Focus Chi
  • 1 Severe to damage the Night Terror, plus any cards to cheat to ensure that happens.  It's Yan's Ca6 Vs Night Terror's Df3, so Yan only needs to win the attack duel by 3 to make it a straight flip.

Optional

• 5s for the Belle's Lures (if luring my own stuff)
  • 8 (preferably:mask)  for Toshiro's War Fan
  • 7 for Emissary's Shards of Kythera

Yan can also re-summon Emissary or Toshiro as needed, but Reliquary is the upgrade I'm least sold on.  Tempted for Kharkhara still as I can get 3 Chi Turn 1, then just go whack-a-mole turn 2 with Bone Ascendant without the need to worry about how much Chi I have.

The list is fairly flexible, can swap out Toshiro, Crooligans and the Belle if needed for 23ss.

This is theoryfaux at this stage, so please tear it apart!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Da Git said:

Toshiro gives all the minions :+fate to the Undead Minions attack.  Crooligans can also later lower the enemy's Wp for Yan's GLowy mouth attack.

Toshiro gives positives to :melee so no bonus for hands from below if im right. Talking about theoryfaux I have in mind trying Archie to get fast from the emisary when attaching his upgrades but those are a lot of ss so im not sure.

Edit: I misread it, its the emissary who gets fast. :/

On 17.02.2018 at 3:00 PM, Da Git said:

This is theoryfaux at this stage, so please tear it apart!

I have never played with a similar list, but I have settled on Yan as my main master recently and I can tell you that you don't need more than 1 Chi on turn one in half of the games, and in the second half you can simply kill your own seishin (which I often prefer to keep alive until turn two: they block los, they engage chargers, they're activations and anchors for LD). Killing a 3 ss HIRED model using SEVERE card only to get ONE chi is the purest nonsense to my mind ;)

Crew Name: Yan 50ss 
   Awakening 1ss 
   Reliquary 1ss 
Soul Porter 3ss 
Toshiro 9ss
    Command the Graves 1ss
Asura Roten 8ss 
Carrion Emissary 10ss 
   Ancestral Conflux 0ss 
Night Terror 3ss 
Rotten Belle 5ss 
Crooligan 4ss 
Crooligan 4ss 

As a core crew idea before seeing scheme pool and terrain this looks okay.  You probably want  a bigger cache if you are taking Toshiro. Personally, I'd drop the Night Terror and an upgrade or two (not Awakening) on Yan and hire something like another belle (much improved chances of luring an enemy for a kill, chi, and corpse), or just keep the stones as Asura and Toshiro can give you a decent number of activations T1 anyway.

Agree with @thatlatinspeakingguy. Think of the 6 cards you can filter, damage you can prevent, or triggers you can hit vs that one chi. Killing hired models is so Ten Thunders, bleh.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of fun with this list tonight, idk how well it would do competitively but it did very well casually.

Crew Name: Yan Summon Eng 50ss 
   Awakening 1ss 
   Reliquary 1ss 
Soul Porter 3ss 
Asura Roten 8ss 
Philip and the Nanny 8ss 
   Haunting Cries 0ss 
Toshiro The Daimyo 9ss 
   Command the Graves 1ss 
   Corpse Bloat 2ss 
Sun Quiang 8ss 
Rotten Belle 5ss 

Asura summons a zombie 10” or so from Toshiro, walks and places scheme marker for P&N. Soul Porter pushes Toshiro and Yan Lo. Rotten Belle can drop a Scheme if needed (if your hand is awful). Then P&N double cycles.

Toshiro tips out his spleen suffering 3 damage, Sun pushes into base contact and places a scheme marker (this could happen rather than belle’s).  Toshiro then summons an Ashigau off his spleen and mindless zombie from Asura. Should be fairly easy to at least get 1 9 crow+ with P&N cycle.

Sun activates healing Toshiro and both Ashigaru 1. Then heals Toshiro back to full as his first action and can then walk. One interesting thing is that the wording on the summon for Ashigaru says, “summon an Ashigaru and then it suffers damage...” which means Sun can push to each Ashigaru and interact if you really needed it for something - you’ll probably have some cards to get rid of. 

This summoning and card cycling can happen easily on T2 and requires very little effort. And since Ashigaru can charge for a 1 that’s not too bad for a T2 summon close to a fight. 

It is light on Chi generation but I had no issues gaining the Chi I need once things picked up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like Yan Lo very much and I´ve been playing him a lot lately but I still feel he is way far from top masters despite last wave upgrades in a competitive enviroment.

Yesterday I played against sandeep (corner deployment) and felt a bit frustrated. Yan lo spent first turn trying to gain chi killing my stuff and spending cards for this while Sandeep got a Banasuva with positive flips to attack and +1 to damage in my face with positive to initiative next turn from arcanist upgrade. Its true that this usually ruins my day most times I face Sandeep no matter which resser master I play but I feel that it takes to much effort for Yan Lo to thrive through turns while at the same time being a very fragile master.

Do you share this perception? Maybe Yan Lo has an specific scheme niche that I cant see?

SanDeep is also a very powerful master. Many consider him to be the strongest of the new batch and perhaps too good overall. I wouldn't judge too harshly just on that. And any Alpha Strike can be hard to bear if you aren't ready for it.

You do know Yan Lo doesn't have to spend his first turn Chi farming, right? While it might be good to grab 1 extra Chi if you don't have anything better to do, if you suspect that things are going to start dying quick, you may not need the Chi that quickly. 

This is also why I find myself taking Fortify the Spirit. Unless I'm going Ancestor heavy I don't often have anything I need for his third upgrade and every time I don't take Fortify, I wish I had. Being able to Stone to add up to +3 to DF/WP can really be a lifesaver for the old man. Even better if you have the right suit in hand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

SanDeep is also a very powerful master. Many consider him to be the strongest of the new batch and perhaps too good overall. I wouldn't judge too harshly just on that. And any Alpha Strike can be hard to bear if you aren't ready for it.

You do know Yan Lo doesn't have to spend his first turn Chi farming, right? While it might be good to grab 1 extra Chi if you don't have anything better to do, if you suspect that things are going to start dying quick, you may not need the Chi that quickly. 

This is also why I find myself taking Fortify the Spirit. Unless I'm going Ancestor heavy I don't often have anything I need for his third upgrade and every time I don't take Fortify, I wish I had. Being able to Stone to add up to +3 to DF/WP can really be a lifesaver for the old man. Even better if you have the right suit in hand.

Lately I tend to take graveyard spirit in all my crews because otherwise I cant stand arcanist alpha strikes with positive to initiative. :/

Yan lo without chi harvesting in turn one leaves him with very few things to do,not sure about this.

About the upgrades I´ve been toying with transfusion and sebastian+nurse in my crew.

Despite all the things I said im falling in love with Yan... I can feel it

On 11.03.2018 at 11:38 AM, mojopin said:

I like Yan Lo very much and I´ve been playing him a lot lately but I still feel he is way far from top masters despite last wave upgrades in a competitive enviroment.

Yesterday I played against sandeep (corner deployment) and felt a bit frustrated. Yan lo spent first turn trying to gain chi killing my stuff and spending cards for this while Sandeep got a Banasuva with positive flips to attack and +1 to damage in my face with positive to initiative next turn from arcanist upgrade. Its true that this usually ruins my day most times I face Sandeep no matter which resser master I play but I feel that it takes to much effort for Yan Lo to thrive through turns while at the same time being a very fragile master.

Do you share this perception? Maybe Yan Lo has an specific scheme niche that I cant see?

Decreasing your activation count by killing your own models won't help you against alpha strike. Personally, I tend to position my summoned seishins in such a way as to prevent placing an enemy model after charge in a place I don't want it be (works against models with 50 mm bases). Yan is awfully fragile indeed, which is why he desperately needs Fortify the Spirit and full cache. If you play Sebastian and Nurse, have you also tried Shikome? I like to take one with Yan, she makes such a nice synergistic duet with Goryo.

As for Yan's competitiveness, I have mixed feelings. I know it can be frustrating to play a master who is strong from turn 3 onwards if the game ends after that turn because time has run out.

1 hour ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

Decreasing your activation count by killing your own models won't help you against alpha strike. Personally, I tend to position my summoned seishins in such a way as to prevent placing an enemy model after charge in a place I don't want it be (works against models with 50 mm bases). Yan is awfully fragile indeed, which is why he desperately needs Fortify the Spirit and full cache. If you play Sebastian and Nurse, have you also tried Shikome? I like to take one with Yan, she makes such a nice synergistic duet with Goryo.

As for Yan's competitiveness, I have mixed feelings. I know it can be frustrating to play a master who is strong from turn 3 onwards if the game ends after that turn because time has run out.

This is excellent advice. If you suspect an Alpha Strike try and set up the models you were going to farm to take the brunt of it (as much as possible). Saving Yan Lo for as late in the turn as possible means he may have gathered some Chi from early deaths from the Alpha anyway. Then he can LD the beater into an even worse position. I'm not saying it's easy, as there are a lot of bad Alpha Strikes out there, but there are ways to mitigate or lessen the impact. Often your opponent may then be left shorthanded if you can defang his Alpha.

Don't forget the Soul Porter too! If your opponent doesn't have any condition removal, you can be very aggressive with him. After the Alpha does his thing, the Soul Porter can charge him with his 3" range and pass off Chi to Yan Lo, getting you even more on turn 1. Any turn the Porter isn't gathering Chi for me I feel is wasted. 

• Like 1

It's worth noting with soul porter you can give anything chi. The main target is Anna Lovelace who brings a lot with her anti-place/push to reduce certain Alpha Strikes potential, plus if you give her chi suddenly you can have a very high base min 3 cast that doesn't randomize on an already fantastic model that can produce seishin without too much trouble. Nurses can also become very scary with base 7 or 8. Unless there's some mercenary I'm not thinking of very little else gains huge benefit from this in ressur though. I suppose in ten thunders you are more likely to have lust, who definitely loves chi.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Da Git said:

What's the third upgrade you generally find yourself taking on Yan? I find the new two pretty well stapled, but very unsure on the third. 

I consider Fortify the Spirit a staple. It requires full cache to work, but it enables you to avoid some hits and to eventually live long enough to make use of your Blood Ascendant upgrade. Some people don't even bother attacking Yan when they see FtF, as it may drain their hand with no effect - so you may not see it's usefulness at first glance.

9 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I don't even take the Chi from enemy VP upgrade, just Fortify the Spirit and the Instinctive one. That leaves 1 slot free for if you wanna go Recalled Training each turn.

I'll give you a respectfully disagree as sadly I can't take Recalled Training in Ressers... !

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

I'll give you a respectfully disagree as sadly I can't take Recalled Training in Ressers... !

Oh dang, I didn't even notice which subforum this was on, sorry, I saw Yan Lo and got excited! But if you ever give the thunders a try, Ash Ascendant every turn, turned into Recalled Training by a Terracotta Warrior is a fun little trick.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 2:52 AM, Dogmantra said:

Oh dang, I didn't even notice which subforum this was on, sorry, I saw Yan Lo and got excited! But if you ever give the thunders a try, Ash Ascendant every turn, turned into Recalled Training by a Terracotta Warrior is a fun little trick.

Do note that this means you can't take any other upgrade besides those 3. Terracotta Warrior does not allow swapping when you have gone over the legal starting limit for upgrades, which is 3 in this case.

More on-topic: I'm also going to try and run Fortify as my third upgrade, together with the 2 new ones. Thanks to Wave 5, Yan Lo can actually reliably get +3 on his stats instead of +1 or +2. Wave 5 targetted his Chi dependency by quite a bit and I felt he has been running smoother since. That said, I do still prefer him in Thunders as I barely have Resser models and Thunders has Yasunori and Terracotta Warrior.

Another neat trick with the Warrior by the way: protect Chiaki and let her pass all her conditions to Yan Lo. He can now have the protection from the Warrior :D That has caught quite a few people off-guard, including Resser players that think they know all his tricks.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • mattc unpinned this topic