Yan Lo tactica!

Fenrisian

What would be a good "core" list for Yan Lo?  I assume Izamu, Yin, and Toshio.  What else, crew-wise, is needed?

I've played Yan Lo only once with Toshiro, and even then I didn't take Command the Graves.  I wager he has a lot of good uses though, when the Strategy and Schemes fit (ie - Not Reckoning or Make Them Suffer)

As far as my core crew with Yan Lo, I've always brought Yin and Toshiro.  For their soulstone costs, they do a lot, and with Reliquary, they can come back once each game.  Chiaki isn't as necessary when Yan Lo is a TT Master, but as a Resser, I'd say she's a "must have" as well.  Always bring the Soul Porter too.  As far as minions go, the Ashigaru are pretty good choices.  Like someone mentioned before, Yan Lo's box crew works really well together, and when you add the few other Ancestor Enforcers and Toshiro in, it's a solid crew to take on most things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/25/2015 at 4:22 PM, lawgivera554 said:

Yan Lo tech. 

Take a cheap minion. Turn 1 have Yan Lo discard for Chi. Yan Lo charges minion. Cheat for Severe. Gain a Chi. Second attack kills minion. Gain a Chi. Drop corpse marker. Yan Lo attaches Spirit Ascendent. Has a Chi left over. Toshiro summons an Ashigaru out of the Corpse.

I know this is old, but a heads up: You do not get the second chi in this combo because the minion is not killed by a model it considers an enemy.

5 minutes ago, SpaceViking said:

I know this is old, but a heads up: You do not get the second chi in this combo because the minion is not killed by a model it considers an enemy.

You do because Spirit Barrage says you do. It takes two attacks but by the end of the turn you get three chi. One for start of activation discard, one for the severe, one for the kill. 

Its the effect of the attack that is giving him the chi, not the front of the card bubble.

Just now, SpaceViking said:

Oh, both are from Revitalize? I didn't know it could have that effect go off twice.

Once from each attack on the charge. This trick is usually performed with something with 5-6 Wd (Wastrels are perfect, with Df4, Wd5 and easy access to Defensive thanks to Swagger). The first attack is cheated to do severe damage, triggering Revitalise, the second simply kills the model, also triggering revitalise; it states that you gain chi if the attack deals severe damage or kills the target.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigHammer said:

Once from each attack on the charge. This trick is usually performed with something with 5-6 Wd (Wastrels are perfect, with Df4, Wd5 and easy access to Defensive thanks to Swagger). The first attack is cheated to do severe damage, triggering Revitalise, the second simply kills the model, also triggering revitalise; it states that you gain chi if the attack deals severe damage or kills the target.

Exactly. I've been using it on Seishin in my Resser Yan Lo.

• 2 months later...

Pretty solid to use on your own Komainu or Ashigaru, too - just resummon them with Toshiro. Even if you can't resummon them you can always try to hit Severe twice which only triggers your minion's their Hard to Kill... Then heal the bugger, or finish the job (more Chi!) as you see fit.

First time poster in this topic! I recently got Yan Lo painted up and fielded for two games, and I think partially due to how well the GG2016 schemes and strategies suit him, I find myself enamored with his tricks and lists. I found those strategies and schemes hurt Molly the most, and i've yet to field her! So I've been giving Yan a good kick around. 

I've yet to utilize Datsue Ba with Yan Lo, but she's currently my favorite henchmen and her potential with him is just astounding, between Seishin, spirit synergies, passing Adversary out, and summoning Gaki! 

I ran this list last night for fun vs my friend and his Von Shill list (his first foray into outcasts). I built it to move up the field quickly given Izamu and Yan's slow movespeed. 

Yan Lo

• Brutal Khakkhara
  • Fortify the Spirit
  • Reliquary

Soul Porter

Dead Rider

Izamu

Rogue Necromancy

• Pack

Rotten Belle

Rotten Belle

The idea here was to play Yan a bit more upfield and more aggressively. My problem was I faced a shooty list, so for my second of two games, Brutal Khakkhara was useless due to not being able to grab his 3ss Ascendant Upgrade. Even then, with max Chi, it wouldnt have been much better than just swinging CA8. Foritfy the Spirit is ideal for Frame for Murder on Izamu, particularly since this player loves to murder Izamu, so I fed him Izamu to get my points, revived him later in turn 4, after I realized HEY, Chi counts for his ability to resurrect Ancestors! So I only need an 8Tome over 11Tome! Incredible! I never had much chance to use his ability to raise his Def/Wp off of his chi due to not needing to: Incorporeal and impossible to wound meant his plink damage was doing 1 damage anyway with no relevant triggers, although I can see where its useful. Much like Brutal Kakakaahahara, it's very... niche. But worth taking just in case. 

Soul Porter was here to be a beater, but mostly to help move Yan and Izamu. 

Dead Rider to pull models away from the GG2016 Turf War marker to deny scoring. He also benefits from Instill Youth. I originally only thought Yan could heal Spirits or Ancestors, but THAT IS NOT THE CASE WOW. I also have only fielded it once, so I figure i'd give it another shot. It's certainly powerful, but I'm not overly impressed with it, given the only real reason to run him is his Reap ability, as a generality. For 12ss, I think Datsue ba/Chiaki/whatever else would have been a better choice. 

Izamu as an Ancestor so i can at least do some things with Spirit based abilities. He's always merely ok due to how many models ignore armor or damage reduction anymore. I;ve never cared for him but in themed lists. He almost never makes up his points at his best.

Rogue Necro with Pack is utterly insane with Izamu and I love it. So basically, with Instill Youth to keep him topped off for 3 headed, he was able to weather alot of pain and paralyze, murder, and cause general mayhem. In addition, Lightning Dance is ideal for setting up his version of "Pounce", which triggers whenever a nearby enemy model fails a Wp duel within 6". I usually just danced the model b2b with the rogue, then danced yan lo out of the fray and the model to the other side of Rogue Necro's base for another pounce. I love it! In addition, Pack allows our slower models like Izamu/Yan Lo/Soul Porter to take additional walks, which is never a bad thing. 

Belles were there to get Rogue out of danger off Stalk, and trigger willpower duels. As well as just being belles, which are busted. 

My first game, not using the list above, didnt go as well vs lillith, as she kept me choked off from scoring the entire game. I played too defensively and Yan Lo prefers to be near the action, much like Molly. But unlike Molly, he seems much more versatile and isnt harmed as much by Hunting Party being a face card. I look forward to more games with him, I just wanted to chime in and gush over the Rogue Necromancy :) I've never been super thrilled with it as a hire until now (Of course I've tried it with Seamus too which is pretty fun, and I should give another shot)

On 4/22/2016 at 5:02 PM, MEGAHORSE said:

Lightning Dance is ideal for setting up his version of "Pounce", which triggers whenever a nearby enemy model fails a Wp duel within 6".

Hate to burst your bubble but Rogue's smell fear is once per turn :( Still I'm glad to see some mileage out of the beast with someone other than Nicodem.

I think the Emissary's +1 Ml for Yan makes Brutal Khakkhara a worthy substitute for Spirit Barrage. Especially as is wounds on disengaging strikes. I drop Fortify the Spirit and swap in Necrotic Prep to further build the rage of my opponent. It feels like a transfer of chi for all the rage I built up trying to attach his beard :D

On 2/7/2016 at 5:19 PM, lawgivera554 said:

Exactly. I've been using it on Seishin in my Resser Yan Lo.

Except Seishin only have two wounds so unless Yan Black Jokers he is going to kill it on a weak flip so you will only ever gain 1 Chi from the Seishin (Trigger wording is Severe Damage OR killing) A better option is a Night Terror, as Ca actions cut through Incorporeal and Hard to Kill stops Severe damage from killing the NT in one hit. Plus its Def 3 so Yan the man should find it easier to get the straight flip he needs. It does remove the need for Datsue Ba (although I take her when playing spirit heavy lists or vs Arcanists) 

4 hours ago, Kogan Style said:

Hate to burst your bubble but Rogue's smell fear is once per turn :( Still I'm glad to see some mileage out of the beast with someone other than Nicodem.

I think the Emissary's +1 Ml for Yan makes Brutal Khakkhara a worthy substitute for Spirit Barrage. Especially as is wounds on disengaging strikes. I drop Fortify the Spirit and swap in Necrotic Prep to further build the rage of my opponent. It feels like a transfer of chi for all the rage I built up trying to attach his beard :D

Shucks! Well at least I didnt cheat my opponent, as I think I only managed one swipe a turn, but it definitely makes him less abusable! 

My goal is to really work at Yan Lo as a Resser and 10T. I think with Ressers, he can abuse all of our Wp duels and spirit synergies and play a, generally, stronger list than if we went Toshiro with Punk Zombies/Ashigaru, but I've yet to test fully. I personally was just excited to sort of make it work. I'm sure with a Yin in the list to get Gnawing Fears off, one could do some incredible movement manipulation between the Belles, Yan, etc. 

Yeah, Fortify, when discussing with friends, doesnt seem too great outside of schemes where Yan Lo may be in danger (Assassinate, Neutralize the Leader (or whatever the GG2016 scheme is called))

Are you referring to the Shadow Emissary? I dont have its card proxied up, just the Carrion. I've been hearing amazing things about it, but am I able to take the Shadow Emissary and still declare Ressers? (Again I've not ever seen the card haha!) I just noticed, for whatever reason, Yan Lo didnt have a Carrion Emissary upgrade (But Tara did) which was kind of depressing to me, but assumed perhaps the Shadow had the upgrade I was referring to. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2016 at 4:13 AM, Kogan Style said:

Except Seishin only have two wounds so unless Yan Black Jokers he is going to kill it on a weak flip so you will only ever gain 1 Chi from the Seishin (Trigger wording is Severe Damage OR killing) A better option is a Night Terror, as Ca actions cut through Incorporeal and Hard to Kill stops Severe damage from killing the NT in one hit. Plus its Def 3 so Yan the man should find it easier to get the straight flip he needs. It does remove the need for Datsue Ba (although I take her when playing spirit heavy lists or vs Arcanists) 

Generally take spirit beacon on  Datsue Ba. Yan Lo deals severe, which would kill the Seishin. She takes a point of damage to prevent the death. Second attack kills the Seishin. 

Three Chi Turn 1.

• Like 1

That bumps Dats up to 10ss and you still need to cheat in a Severe (plus any other cards to get the straight flip). Its just whether Datsue brings enough to the table to be worth the 7ss you are paying over a Night Terror. In some cases it will be worth it, but not others. 

3 hours ago, Kogan Style said:

That bumps Dats up to 10ss and you still need to cheat in a Severe (plus any other cards to get the straight flip). Its just whether Datsue brings enough to the table to be worth the 7ss you are paying over a Night Terror. In some cases it will be worth it, but not others. 

I think she can, depending on the scenario. She can use her 0 to move your spirits around, Weigh Sins to summon more models, or her melee attack to ignore armor when against arcanists/outcasts/nb/etc. She's not an autoinclude, but if I need chi fast and she can help outside of that, I'm probably going to take her. 

Yin is the only potential "auto include" i could mention for Yan, given she does a little of everything well. Plus, Gnawing fears is downright evil. 

• 5 months later...

I'm wondering if Vincent should be a consideration for Yan Lo. He is a very mobile Henchmen that works as a great harassment piece and anti-scheme runner. He also can apply his nasty 0 debuff to apply some severe pressure to select models. I think his most obvious interaction though is his lack of randomizing for friendly spirits. Great synergy for Izamu and anyone that Yan Lo may transcend into a spirit. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sun Quiang looks like an awesome scheme runner and support healer.

In my hands at least, Yan Lo seems to suffer a bit from control hand burn syndrome (several discard card for effect abilities in typical crew). Lovely though he looks, Dr quiang seems like he will put this into overdrive.

What has Yan got access to in the way of consistent card draw?

Also, if a model is both a peon and something else (e.g. enforcer) how does that effect strats and schemes like reconnoiter/interference, make them suffer/hunting party etc.?

3 hours ago, mo11usq said:

Sun Quiang looks like an awesome scheme runner and support healer.

In my hands at least, Yan Lo seems to suffer a bit from control hand burn syndrome (several discard card for effect abilities in typical crew). Lovely though he looks, Dr quiang seems like he will put this into overdrive.

What has Yan got access to in the way of consistent card draw?

Also, if a model is both a peon and something else (e.g. enforcer) how does that effect strats and schemes like reconnoiter/interference, make them suffer/hunting party etc.?

I am buying Sun Quiang as soon as he is released. He looks amazing. 

For card draw Yan Lo can try and abuse Philip and the Nanny by exchanging friendly scheme markers for cards. Yan Lo can do this out of activation with Fury of the Yomi, this can also set up chatty for Philip and keep his manipulative going. I haven't tried this much, though its been successful when i have. If you take both, Sun Quaing can provide the markers early on for Philip to exchange for cards. You can also give Philip Take Back the Night, which allows you once per activation to draw a card if a friendly Spirit or Horror within 10" reduces an enemy model's health to 0 with an attack action. 

You can also hire Sue as a mercenary. The Man in Black can provide some limited protection for a more incorporeal crew.

I believe that unless a strat/scheme specifies that the model must be ONLY a peon then it shouldn't cause any issues. For example if you cause an enforcer to become a peon and kill him you should still score for Hunting Party. 

4 hours ago, mo11usq said:

I started a rules thread on this very topic a while back. Consensus seems to be that enemies in Sun Quiang's aura are never considered non-peon models, so they count for Hunting Party, cannot Exhaust or be Exhausted, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started playing ressers and Yan Lo I by far my favourite. I've been using the emissary with him. they synergies so well together. being able to make the emissary fast and yan Lo MI6 give you potential 6AP at weak damage 3. with a nurse in the right situation that could be weak 5!

I love it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having trouble getting Lightning Dance to work. With only an 8" range, it can be very difficult to target an enemy, place and then still have a friendly within 8" of your new location. it seems like this is his signature move, but I just can never seem to get it work as advertised. Even a 10" range would make a huge difference. I like Yan Lo, but I am just not finding him competitive. 

I'm going to try and focus on giving out armour more for a few games, but it still seems kinda lackluster for a Master. Anyone have tips on the best ways to make use of lightning dance?

Plan your jumps ahead of time and pre-measure to ensure proper placement.

Get your chi high enough where getting it off is almost a guarentee.

Maximise your pushes (ie, from a soul porter or Datsue Ba).

If you absolutely need one model tied up don't be afraid to daisy chain. Dance a model into something closer, then dance that model again into something farther into your back field. Yan Lo will start pretty much where he left off and your opponent's model will be 16" from where it started.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thinking about Yan Lo in stratschemes that require spreading out. Let's say recon-ference with corner deployment and assume a balance of killing, marker dropping, and interacting is in the pool.

How do you guys approach this kind of thing with the old man?