The Dreamers best bodyguard

Snakeshit

So with the dreamers safe in my bed trigger I think I have found the perfect bodyguard. If you playing a hard hitting master like Lady J and she comes right at you in my opinion is to take 2 Stitched together for the dreamer, move them up with the dreamer if someone targets the dreamer you pass the wounds over to the stitched. Once they hit 1 wound they reactivate and heal from the dreamer when the activate then you can cast gamble your life and if you are not hurt do it again meaning that if the second one fails you drop back down to 1 wd. Next turn when they activate and heal again and so on. I think its a pretty solid defence that also happens to help them out on attack.

Thoughts?

In the right situation this seems fine. The Stitched's creepy fog can also help against shooting. On the downside, Stitched are as slow as they come, while the Dreamer is quite nippy, so they certainly will not keep up with their master. I play against The Dreamer a lot, and my opponent usually uses Day Dreams for Safe in My Bed. But in slower games and early turns when Dreamer just kicks back; Stitched seem pretty good.

I used to use day dreams but they are to important, the dreamer uses a single walk and they walk twice they keep up, how you activate them is when the dreamer is attacked and they gain reactivate, I use dreamer as a support master so I always hang back with him always 6 inches behind my crew.  

I think you have a solid reasoning behind this, but do you not feel that the Stitched are a bit too good in a Dreamer list to play babysitter? With Dreamer these guys become expendable, which is insane, with Gamble your life and reactivate. I think you miss out a lot on offense holding these guys back? 

I really like your reasoning as said, as they are quite durable with hard to kill and with Creepy Fog. They are really slow though and they bring great offense to the crew and a good offense is a good defense in my book. I really like this conversation and topic though! 

They are still going to be up there. But in my experience I don't have to go to the enemy they come to me. Most experienced players know that when the dreamer dies its pretty much game over for a dreamer crew. They have a 6 inch range which is enough. Turn 1 is more just getting them up the board. I also play with the widow weaver which gives them +1wk. I just thought they better than day dreams as daydreams are more important to me and don't want them dying.

Good points again. Do you hire the Stitched or summon them? As that's already 20ss if you hire two and the Widow. Have you been in the situation many times that you needed a bodyguard for the Dreamer? How do you feel on using something bigger to fill that role, say a Teddy with it's regeneration and Dreamer's ability to heal it even more? As well as Teddy himself drawing a lot of attention unless there won't be a model left to threaten the Dreamer? Also could you open up a bit more the importance you feel on the Daydreams? They are the easiest to summon after all if needed :)

this is the list I had in this particular game.

Dreamer

5ss summon upgrade

2ss Tantrum

Coppelius 8ss

2ss Dreaming on wings

Widow weaver 8ss

3x day dreams 6ss

2 madness 10ss

1 stitched together

then I had a cache of 5ss

What I summoned

lelu

Lelitu

Madness

I use the daydreams to run with coppelius making it very difficult to pass horror duels. The trigger from the crow make him very good with daydreams. The day dreams also need to be alive to sac for a mask so killing them off in as a body guard is pointless. They also very important turn 1 for pushing models into a better position. Also nice to push a model like coppelius out of combat . the widow weaver places webs in an area of the board I feel the fight will happen moving my models to that area forcing the enemy to come there. She uses exhale terror normally the model is sitting at -4wp from daydreams and webs. I would never use a Teddy as a body guard. He is more combat orientated so he would be a waste sitting at the back. The stitched have a 6 inch range making them a better choice for me personally. When you say easy to summon we still need a 7 to summon the flippen things which could be quite a waste. All cards from 9 and up are used to summon the big guys. 5 and 4 I use to push and to use empty night. and 3 and down are used to discard for the trigger safe in my bed. I normally use 7 and 8 to cheat a crow with copeliuss with a bit of luck. That said I guess its the situation and what you need at them time. I have a use for every card in my hand and that's how I look at it.

• Like 1

Thanks for going more into detail. You have solid points indeed. I play the Dreamer very differently. 

Coppelius and the Daydreams sound like an interesting combination. I like to keep the Daydreams near the Dreamer, so if needed I can rush them up and try to lower the opponents WP to 4 to trigger of Paralyze. It's interesting to use them with Coppelius. I haven't gotten much good use from Coppelius at all actually. I think the Daydreams are important as well, that's for sure, Lead Nightmare is insanely good. 

If you are hanging back about 6 inches then Teddy wouldn't suit the profile at all. Have you tried Mr. Tannen on a Dreamer list? He is quite nice with Cooler and Leave it to luck which opens you a possibility to summon a Teddy :D 

I have been playing more expendable Daydreams, but I like your ideas on them being actually more valuable. Does Coppelius get all your Daydreams or do you split them up? 

That sounds good, If I play res faction I like taking handbags with the ww just so that I can steal some counters and maybe summon a teddy. I will look into Mr tannen thanks for the tip, I am keen to try new thing with the dreamer. I like the tantrum ability more. If you have the daydreams and coppelius around a model then its a resist with wp and do 1 damage for each nightmare in 3 inches. It is not card intensive and it has an SH7 so easy to get off with an average card due to -wp and you don't randomise in combat. Every person I play hates coppelius. I LOVE any ability that does not care about -ve flips on damage his crow trigger is awesome as it says do moderate instead of flipping for damage. That's y I use the dreamers Tantrum ability it also does not care about negative flips. I keep the day dreams together like a pack of annoying balloons, I keep them all together for the above stated reasons.

Good info. I haven't used that shoot attack actually that is related to the Nightmare's. I must look into that, does it come with the Tantrum upgrade, or did I understand something wrong? I haven't used that upgrade as much, I usually take it when playing Chompy but I have preferred Otherwordly for the Summoning Dreamer, Accomplice is so good. 

Coppelius is a model I need to take a few more looks at, I tried him a couple of times, he didn't do anything and then I just dropped him, way too soon I believe as I felt the same about the Widow, but she's starting to grow on me :D I don't use the Handbag with her anymore, maybe if I hear Rezzer's or Gremlins it might be worth it actually due to sheer amount of corpses. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am playing a friendly game tonight and I was thinking of just being silly and trying something totally ridiculous. Here is the crew,

Dreamer Cache 5

+Dreams of pain 5ss 

+Otherworldly 2ss

+Tantrum 2ss

3 Daydreams 6ss

Widow weaver 8ss

4 Stitched together 24ss

I am playing against the vics and I though this is a huge nuke crew. The vics have awesome healing and if you don't kill a model and leave it on 1 wound next turn it heals and all ap used the previous turn would be wasted. I am only going to try and only summon one model a turn as I do not want to have any wakening. The reason for this is that if gamble your life back fires you will be able to heal them when they reactivate so they jump back to 4wds. The models I will summon are probably going to be madness as they will help me with schemes. All in all might be fun. I am not so sure if my opponent is going to like me but we will see.

Will keep you updated on how it goes.   

I just played a game with this: 

The Dreamer -- 7 Pool
 +Restless Dreams [1]
 +Tantrum [2]

Daydream X 2 [4]
Hooded Rider [12]
Killjoy [13]
Nekima [13]

It was a setup game of Turf War, Assasinate, Murder Protege, Bodyguard and Vendetta. Didn't manage to kill McCabe due to some stupid mistakes with the Wakening condition (I have mainly played Summoner). Didn't get Chompy out because of that. Well anyway, Nekima is a beast. Chompy is a beast. Kill Joy didn't do that much in this game, neither did the Hooded Rider. But Chompy and Nekima were quite enough in killing stuff.
  • Like 1

Now that sounds like a fun crew to play not my normal play style but that's what will make it so fun, and that pool of schemes would make it a good choice. Did you do the daydream sack to get kill joy right up in there? This crew will be in the back of my mind when I choose my crew and the schemes are similar. I like the pool of 7 so LCB can eat stuff up easy    

Now that sounds like a fun crew to play not my normal play style but that's what will make it so fun, and that pool of schemes would make it a good choice. Did you do the daydream sack to get kill joy right up in there? This crew will be in the back of my mind when I choose my crew and the schemes are similar. I like the pool of 7 so LCB can eat stuff up easy    

No I messed up Kill Joy a bit as well. Kill Joy did kill Dawn Serpent though to grant me 3 from Murder Protege. Chompy killed Fuhatsu with Onslaught after Onslaught. Nekima destroyed Izamu quite nicely. Hooded Rider got Slowed by McCabe pretty much every turn so he didn't get to do that much, except drop Sidir's wounds down to deny 1 point from Bodyguard. It was a fun crew to play though, so much destruction :D The whole point was to make it overkill, no one died on my crew though, except Chompy but he never really dies does he now :D

HA HA you should not be telling us how many times you messed up :P. I think its solid and turn 3 or 4 the rider will become good as well.

Why not? Mess-Ups are what makes the game interesting. If both players played perfectly, it would only come down to flips and crew selection. Which would be a tad boring.

I like mistakes. They are funny.

• Like 1

In the right situation this seems fine. The Stitched's creepy fog can also help against shooting. On the downside, Stitched are as slow as they come, while the Dreamer is quite nippy, so they certainly will not keep up with their master. I play against The Dreamer a lot, and my opponent usually uses Day Dreams for Safe in My Bed. But in slower games and early turns when Dreamer just kicks back; Stitched seem pretty good.

One thing I really like about them - they are the only thing the Dreamer can summon which drop Markers. So if you spam them with summoning, and treat them as completely disposable (either on offense or use them to protect Dreamer), you can end up with a bunch of scrap on the board. Which the Widow Weaver, if she has her upgrade, can then turn into Wicked Dolls - or Teddy. (Wicked Dolls also work well with the Stitched since they can hand out 1 point of healing, which is enough to heal Stitched back over their Hard to Kill threshold...)

I just played a game with this: 

The Dreamer -- 7 Pool
 +Restless Dreams [1]
 +Tantrum [2]

Daydream X 2 [4]
Hooded Rider [12]
Killjoy [13]
Nekima [13]

It was a setup game of Turf War, Assasinate, Murder Protege, Bodyguard and Vendetta. Didn't manage to kill McCabe due to some stupid mistakes with the Wakening condition (I have mainly played Summoner). Didn't get Chompy out because of that. Well anyway, Nekima is a beast. Chompy is a beast. Kill Joy didn't do that much in this game, neither did the Hooded Rider. But Chompy and Nekima were quite enough in killing stuff.

Is that a Killjoy missile I see? :D

Quite an elite list!  Were you at any disadvantage from being out activated?

So I played with my Stitched together list and it was very interesting, by turn 3 I was sure I was going to lose. He killed Widow weaver with Bishop and 2 stitched also died. But that caused him to over extend and the other 2 stitched did their job and killed Bishop and Victoria of ashes! I needed her dead asap as she ignores hard to kill so that was what the whole list was based on. I also dropped Victoria of blood to 1 wound which he then healed back to full hp with the librarian. Lazarus then killed the third stitched dreamer but not before I took the Victoria to 2 wounds again. All I had was the dreamer and another stitched. I was sure to loose this game. Then I win initiative and which was so lucky!!!! I activate the dreamer give the stitched fast and and push it into range of Victoria then hit the vic so she is on 1 wound. I then activate the stitched thanks to otherworldly. This was the real game changer. The stitched hits vic she dies as I put her on 1 wd with the dreamer. I then pull off the best gamble your life ever. I hit Lazarus with gamble you life I get a serve which is 7dg he has armour 2 so takes 5. I do it again another serve he pops as he has 10wd.

My opponent and I were both like what just happened. I ended up winning the game 4-1. A very low scoring game to say the least was touch and go for a while. Some might say that is very lucky but with 4 stitched it is bound to happen at some point. Even if you get a moderate and a weak that's still 8 damage so the potential to do great things with the stitched is there.

The dreamer never had wakening and that was key to get the maximum heal  so if it did back fire you still reactivate and can do it again. If it did back fire I used a game of chance to make my hand stronger so that firstly I don't kill the model and secondly I have a good hand to cheat in the reactivate turn.

All in all very awesome and quite fun to play with. Was getting bored of my usual Horror duel dreamer crew that my club members find very annoying and tedious to play against.      

• Like 1