UK Events favoring the North

MasterDisaster

I'm a fairly keen Malifaux player these days and there's quite a few competitive players round my way however most of the UK events are WAY WAY up north. I live on the south coast of the UK and having never done the competitive or tourny scene before I'm keen to give it a bash but not so keen I have to take days off work and break my bank just to get there and back. Anybody know of any events that wont cause me to have to drive for 3-4+ hours? Having looked on the Events pages it appears as though most events are around Manchester, York etc or around Kent. Both areas will easily cost me a lot in travel expenses and time getting there. There must be events closer to the South West surely? 

Thanks

A lot of this is to do with where the henchmen are, or those prepared to organise events. Upcoming events in what I would term the south are:

Woking 26/27 April - pubfaux

Milton Keynes 21/22 June - fire and ice

But these are already up on these boards in their own threads - along with an event in Margate and one in Canterbury coming up soon and another in Thanet in August.

All these are "southern" to my mind.

Thanks for the heads up Joel, unfortunately every one of those events is a bit far for me. The closest being Woking but it's still quite a way to travel, Margate and Canterbury are basically on the other side of the country :(. I shall have to kick my local henchman in the backside and see if he can organize something for the South Westerners of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset and/or Hampshire areas as these seem to be somewhat neglected in the tourny scene. 

The scene is based on where people are happy to run stuff.

Cardiff has run several events, and I remember something in Exeter, and in portsmouth.

Alternatively, (and this is roughly what is happening in Kent) If everything seems to far to travel, organise your own events.

You'll probably find that several of the tournement scene will Travel to you.

It is fun to meet up with people from all over and play new people.

Your best bet is to go into your local gaming store and see how excited they are about Malifaux. Get them into the idea, ask if you can play some demo games in the store on a Saturday, I think one of the big reasons why the Northwest has a good scene is because Element Games in Stockport are really into the game and push it a lot.

Great advice guys. Exeter and Portsmouth would be perfect for me if there were to be any future events. As far as I am aware my local gaming store that deals with Malifaux is Simple Miniature Games in Christchurch, Dorset. Me and a few of the guys are planning on popping over there this weekend to check them out as I hear they are one of the primary distributors for Wyrd products in the UK. 

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, if I were feeling more cynical I might remind you lot that the JOB MARKET favours the south. The GOVERNMENT favours the south, just MODERN LIFE favours the south.

So we get Malifaux in return, I think fair's fair.

(Full disclosure - I moved from Cambridge to Manchester three years ago, so may have mixed interests)

I can't stress enough how important building your local community/scene is.

I'm in Newcastle/North East England. A year ago we ran two events up here with around 5-10 players attending.

This year we are looking at having at least 4 events with 16-20 players.

I don't think we have done anything special to increase so much in a year. Just be visible, consistently and make sure you can explain what the game is and how it works in 2 sentences. If people look interested after that you can go into a more detailed pitch.

Luckily the Henchman for my area is also a pretty good mate of mine so I'm planning on getting together with him at some point in the future to see if we can look at arranging some sort of event for the South. Hopefully he'll be keen to get behind it, we could also look at using our local gaming club's usual venue, we could easily fit at least a good 8-10 tables for games in there. Currently the regulars at the club who play Malifaux total about 6-10 but I'm sure there are others about. 

I can only chime in with a limited amount of experience have had from our area - if you build it they will come. You might need to work at getting round the local clubs to make everyone know your name and then look at maybe a school as a weekend event: this is what Fire & Ice is doing and what Joel does for his weekend events. However once people know you and see you playing the game they will want to get involved. 

Personally I don't have a lot of time to put into developing my community - luckily my henchman is the awesome Clouseau so its not to much of problem. However but if you develop a regular core group more people will become interested in playing knowing that they can get a game. 

Best of luck!

As the others have said it really is a case of build it and they will come.  There are plenty of folks who will travel to events so if there is one in Bristol for example then I'm sure you would get folks other than the locals coming along.

There is an event in Cardiff in June, is that feasible for you to get to it?

Hey dude, I'm Aaron, I'm a henchman based in Bournemouth. I did run a tournament lay year in Christchurch, and plan to again this august (although likely in Bournemouth this time).

I know Simple miniatures, should give you a heads up that they are as you said a distributor first and foremost, not a gaming store per se. They do have a little shop front but it's not like they have gaming tables set up it anything. (We do run a local club on Thursday nights in Christchurch tho)

If you fancy any games or a gaming weekend or anything just get in touch and I'm sure I could set something up :)

Aaron

Is 4 hours that far to drive though really? The last local event I attended was a 3 hour round trip..

Is it more the cost or the time?

It is if it's 4 hours there and 4 hours back again, living in Dorset makes life a bit difficult for a lot of things. 'Tis the land time forgot! Work comitments mean I'm rarely available during the week and the weekends are usually my only free time. It's more the cost of travelling, whilst trying to save for my own place and planning a wedding with the Mrs traveling from one side of the country and back again can be rather costly no matter how it's done. 

As the others have said it really is a case of build it and they will come.  There are plenty of folks who will travel to events so if there is one in Bristol for example then I'm sure you would get folks other than the locals coming along.

There is an event in Cardiff in June, is that feasible for you to get to it?

Cardiff is probably a bit of a stretch although not completely out of the question. Bristol is roughly 2 hours away from me by car so Cardiff is only another hour or so on top of that. 

Hey dude, I'm Aaron, I'm a henchman based in Bournemouth. I did run a tournament lay year in Christchurch, and plan to again this august (although likely in Bournemouth this time).

I know Simple miniatures, should give you a heads up that they are as you said a distributor first and foremost, not a gaming store per se. They do have a little shop front but it's not like they have gaming tables set up it anything. (We do run a local club on Thursday nights in Christchurch tho)

If you fancy any games or a gaming weekend or anything just get in touch and I'm sure I could set something up :)

Aaron

Hi Aaron, I'm Will.

A Tournament in Christchurch/Bournemouth would be amazing! I live in Poole so that's right up my street (almost literally!). As for Simple I popped over there for the first time a week or so ago with the Poole Henchman Joe who I'm sure you know, I've heard the name Aaron in general conversation on a number of occasions. I was genuinely surprised at how out of the way Simple Mini's is but the guy there seems pretty cool. It's a shame they don't have more space for a decent sized shop but given they are distributors it's understandable. 

I regularly attend the Poole Gaming Society on Tuesday nights but I didn't realize there was a club out in Christchurch. I might have to pop out one evening to check it out. I think I might have scared Joe away from the Poole club as I spanked his Lilith crew last week, took me 3 months but I finally managed to bag a landslide of a win against him. I'd be totally up for a weekend of Malifaux, the Mrs works a lot at weekends so I'm often free. If there's anything coming up let me know, I'd be interested to meet new players as well. 

Will

Who am I? :blast

Well, my posts have not been full of spelling mistakes.

So Ben not Jan.

Awesome! As it stands our current record against each other is 1 win a piece, we should meet up at the club one night to settle the score. Maybe give Joe a kick up the backside and get some local events going as well!  :D

I agree with all that's been said. I enjoyed the Christchurch tour nice last year and would certainly look at travelling down to Bournemouth (it's an easy sell to my missus who needs little excuse for a day by the sea while I play toy soldiers).

If all else fails drop your toes in the water and put on something yourself - you don't need to be a henchman and we all started small.

• 1 month later...